Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/6/2010 3:33:04 PM EDT
Does anyone know of any GOOD first aid books that show minor medical operations... like putting in stitches and such?

I was sitting here at home today removing my own stitches from my rib cage and I got to thinking, "Damn it would be handy to know how to install these things if need be!" and then considering I dont have much medical knowledge other than some general first aid and CPR classes I've taken... itd be nice to read up on some more advanced stuff just in case I ever needed to apply it. Sure... I'll never be a nurse or a doctor, but some knowledge is better than no knowledge.

Thanks Gents!
~Ryan
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:32:50 PM EDT

nope, don't know any.

There's a reason folks go to school for years to learn this level of care and it's way beyond "first aid" and why you will not find a "first aid" book that contains it.

Do what you are comfortable doing. Learn what you are able to do and learn what you shouldn't do. How often do you think it needs to be practiced? you can't become proficient by reading a book once, then 4 years later pull it off a shelf when you need to stich someone up...

If you "really" want to learn how to do it, start EMT courses locally.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:09:13 PM EDT
Yes there are a few military manuals out there not sure what they are off hand. Stitches are easy to do I have watched many of times it being done on me! There are manuals and other things out there to help you out books cost a lot of money! I feel I don't have a lot of training but I was told from my wife who has been a RN for 11 years ICU and ER I know how to do more then most EMT'S why military for me. Yet I would like to say if you are that worried get some training please! You can take simple EMT classes at the local college enough to hold on to a life to someone else gets there of better enough to save a life!

Wife has always wanted me to be a EMT or something like that. Yet I like making the holes more then filling them in!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:50:41 PM EDT
I have actually been considering taking a few EMT courses.... dont know why but that stuff interests me and its a damn valuable skill to have IMHO.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:15:55 PM EDT
Top Top