Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2011 11:39:31 AM EDT
So the fires in Texas came dangeroulsy close to my bug out location.  Most of our prep items
are above ground.  

My question is this.  How deep would you have to bury weapons and ammo to keep it safe from fire?

We moved most of it to the center of a pasture, more to protect the fireman than the gear itself.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
only a couple of inches.  The dirt is a fantastic insulator.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
only a couple of inches.  The dirt is a fantastic insulator.

you're going to have to go deeper than a couple inches.  If it's not in an enclosed space, i.e well protected basement or well protected underground storage unit then you need to get under the root systems.  They have been known to burn for months and years.  Wildfires don't just burn above ground, they burn below in the root systems as well.

Your best bet is to get a fire rated box and either bury that or put a fire rated box in your basement
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top