Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 2:45:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 2:48:39 PM EST by Terminus]
I've been looking for a long time for some used woodstoves. Most I looked at were burnt paper thin, or poor designs that aren't suitable. I located these two locally, they had them listed for $350 each which was a great price, but since I bought both, I was able to get them for $500.

I'm finally going to be able to have wood heat. I'm also buying a kitchen stove from the same person soon, but I haven't seen it in person yet, no telling if it's in decent shape. I'm going to put the Ashley in this weekend, and I'm holding off on the smaller parlor stove until I've seen the kitchen stove as I might put it in my retreat location (which used to be my full-time abode and will be again soon). I have a propane kitchen stove now but I was mulling over the idea of replacing it with a wood burning kitchen stove. Propane will only last awhile, wood should be plentiful where I live as long as I have gasoline and oil for my chainsaws.

I don't know much about the smaller parlor stove, but I see it was made in Taiwan. It seemed fine, the metal was in good shape inside as well, hopefully it wasn't a mistake.

The winters see -20f to -30f at night for a few months so was worried about this for some time but couldn't bring myself to spend thousands of dollars on wood stoves.

Anyway, here is ms-paint.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:53:49 PM EST
I hate you. OK, my admiration for your find makes me hate myself and since i'm incapable of truly feeling anything I will have to hate you by default.

What a great find - give as update when you fire them up!

Dean
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:09:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:57:25 PM EST
Congrats! I got mine last year and I loved heating with wood...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:09:31 PM EST
There is no heat like wood stove heat. We had a franklin fireplace when I was a kid, later on a more modern type with a blower. That's the real deal
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:09:23 PM EST
i've got one just like the top one, i haven't used it yet "it was originally for the garage but that changed.

I think i will keep it and save it for a basement in the next house i hopefully puickup in the next few years.

Let us know if you wind up using any of them and how they work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:30:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Feral:
What are the big knobs on the front doors of the Ashley? Air control?

yup. intake side, of course.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:02:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1EGGHEAD:
i've got one just like the top one, i haven't used it yet "it was originally for the garage but that changed.

I think i will keep it and save it for a basement in the next house i hopefully puickup in the next few years.

Let us know if you wind up using any of them and how they work.

I'll be using the Ashley come colder weather, it will be my primary source of heat there believe it or not.

I have a propane furnace there but if things ever get bad, I won't have propane for long and the furnace blowers and electronics all require AC at the moment which isn't sustainable either because I assume there won't be any power (or maybe money to pay for it if things keep getting worse) ... There were times in the past where the roads were too muddy to even get propane delivered. I remember running out one winter and i t took them a week to get there.

I was thinking I'd get a motor home propane furnace (12vdc) but those things aren't powerful enough to bother with usually. I lived in a 27' motor home for a few years and froze to death most of the time running it full blast. I assume it would be better in a house with real insulation but I suspect it wouldn't heat a normal-sized room well much less an entire house :) Neither will wood stoves either but multiple wood stoves might work nicely although all those chimneys and smoke could be a problem if you wanted to be low profile.

Oh well that is off topic. I'll post pictures of the kitchen stove if I get it.

Don't give up hope if you're looking for used stoves, I eventually found some. Maybe it was the economy falling apart but this person actually told me he makes money selling odds and ends, had no bank account and would only take cash. He said they were his Grandmother's stoves. I thought to myself, Grandma was a lot smarter than you, especially right now.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:39:37 PM EST
Just watch out wood can become as addictive as firearms! Before you know it you're like a mother hen when it comes to your wood pile :)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:21:43 PM EST
Good score!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:32:00 PM EST
-30 in New Mexico?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:00:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
-30 in New Mexico?

Mountains?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:01:30 PM EST
-30 in New Mexico?

Yep... I'm at around 8k feet in elevation. Lots of trees, snow, and winter cold.

The temperature swings can really surprise you.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:11:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By Terminus:
-30 in New Mexico?

Yep... I'm at around 8k feet in elevation. Lots of trees, snow, and winter cold.

The temperature swings can really surprise you.

Wow, I gotta say I am surprised. I thought maybe you just hadn't updated your location or something. I always had this perception of NM as being "East Arizona" from a climate perspective, but didn't think even mountains would make that much of a difference. That's Minnesota cold you get down there! Nice score.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:07:19 PM EST
Very nice score, sir!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:43:29 PM EST
NICE!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:08:48 AM EST
OK, you've got two. Put one up as high in the house if you can i.e. second story and one as low as you can i.e. basement.
Keep doorways open and let convection really warm the house up.
We rented a place in Red River NM that had the instructions to start the upper floor stove to minimize the amount of wood burned.
I was surprised at how little wood it took to heat the house when I had both wood stoves going. The one on the second floor was small, the one on the bottom floor larger.
That's a good deal you got.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:18:02 AM EST
Let us know how things turn out with the wood cooking stove. I've been wanting one of those for years, but it seems all of the decent ones are prohibitively expensive, so I have just stuck to the grill rack and dutch oven for emergency cooking.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:17:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 3:17:36 AM EST by Tomato_Thrower]
Nicely done compadre. Now the joy of cutting, splitting, and stacking 8 cords of firewood...my advice....pay someone else to do it!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:58:40 AM EST
Very nice. That thing looks a bit evil too. sweet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:07:27 AM EST
Ashleys were some of the best air-tight stoves ever made. You made out on that one.

Sell the other, it's more a decrotive stove. It's efficiency is nothing compared to the Ashley.
Top Top