Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2008 4:21:01 PM EDT
CNN just reported that 25% of US oil production and 56% of Foreign oil exports have been shut down due to Gustav. That comes out to 9 million barrels per day out of 22 million or about 45% of US oil shut down. It also mentioned that 75% of the Strategic Patroleum Reserve is not accessable due to Gustav.

The potential for high prices and a gas shortage is very real if significant damage to oil flatforms and the ports happen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]
put 42 gallons in my diesel excursion yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

put 36 gallons in my diesel excursion yesterday.  Gotta love the huge tank.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
topped off both tanks in my truck, filled 5 mfcs, and even got the wife to fill her car.  good day
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]

CNN just reported that 25% of US oil production and 56% of Foreign oil exports have been shut down due to Gustav. That comes out to 9 million barrels per day out of 22 million or about 45% of US oil shut down. It also mentioned that 75% of the Strategic Patroleum Reserve is not accessable due to Gustav.

The potential for high prices and a gas shortage is very real if significant damage to oil flatforms and the ports happen.

Link?
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Good reminder.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Filled up truck and 20 gals in reserve, w/ sta-bul.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Kinda wierd here. With all i have seen on TV and read on here, Gas has DROPPED near me. over 20Cents right by my house, more in others. Not sure why but i didnt argue. Filled up everything on wheels along with 30Gal. in cans. If nothing else everything has been rotatated, and at a cheeper price.

Zar
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I put close to 20 gallons in my car for $2.08/gal. You gotta love Get Go.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Gas has DROPPED near me. over 20Cents right by my house, more in others. Not sure why but i didnt argue.

Your gas most likely dosent come from the Gulf of Mexico.

The increase in price is due to the speculators/profiteers watching the gulf pump rigs and refiners shutting down. I am not an expert by any means but my understanding is that these site supply areas geographic close by. You live in Michigan and are most likely not supplied by the gulf states oil rigs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Filled all three cars and 2 cans last night. Over 100 bucks up here. I am ready for the price spike. Hopefully it will come back down after all the storms.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 2:13:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Filled all three cars and 2 cans last night. Over 100 bucks up here. I am ready for the price spike. Hopefully it will come back down after all the storms.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 3:04:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

WTF ,,its been 3.70+ here for ever!
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 3:09:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link?

I saw it come across the bottom of CNN on TV. Here is a reuters artcile about the production shut down, can't find an article about how much of the inports are shut down

‌link

2nd link more details
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 3:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

put 36 gallons in my diesel excursion yesterday.  Gotta love the huge tank.

we love the whole excursion.  we've only had it a week or two and we've discussed buying another.

Quoted:
Why GM decided to put a 26 gallon tank in a 1 ton diesel truck is a mystery to me. As soon as I have some spare $$$, I'm putting in an auxiliary tank. By then diesel will probably be $6 a gallon.

my guess is b/c they use that same 26 gallon tank in their gas trucks (that's what my gmc 3/4 ton has in it).  but for a 1 ton diesel it suxors.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 4:12:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why GM decided to put a 26 gallon tank in a 1 ton diesel truck is a mystery to me. As soon as I have some spare $$$, I'm putting in an auxiliary tank. By then diesel will probably be $6 a gallon.

I talked to a guy who replaced the factory tank with a bigger one. It seemed kind of expensive for a convenience, though. I wanna say he said it was ~$900 to change the 26 to a 40something. If a guy doesn't want to give up the cargo space for a toolbox style unit, I suppose that's what you've got for options.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 4:41:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Normal operating procedure:  keep vehicle fuel tank full and all gas cans (25 gallons, stored in out building) full from June through November in this part of the world.  Also keep generator full and tested every month.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Protus - "Get Go" is a Super Market, that if you purchase food you get .10 off gas for every $50.00 you buy, thus the $2.08/gal - Correct Scout?
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I always keep emergency feual topped off. I do have some working fuel cans, about 15 gals. worth i need to fill.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Protus - "Get Go" is a Super Market, that if you purchase food you get .10 off gas for every $50.00 you buy, thus the $2.08/gal - Correct Scout?

Yup.  The best scam is the following:

If you are a contractor or doing a home repair project, go to giant eagle and buy $500 home depot gift cards.  Each card earns you $1.00 off per gallon.

I rarely pay for gas if I have some good side jobs.

The only hitch is, it takes 24 hours for the HD card to activate, so you have to by them in advance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What year Excursion are you guys driving? Which engine? I am looking for one and found a 2000 but the dealer wants 5000.00 over Edmunds retail price.  

ARe you happy with them?
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Go get a Titan fuel tank.  I have a 50 gallon one in my 2008 2500 HD.  I love it!  I could go close to 850 miles without a fill up...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Did this Saturday, in response to a post TJ made in the "Fill'er tanks for Katrina" thread three years ago.

Two cars full.

The pipelines to the Northeast originate in Houston and run throught the LA area (like the colonial pipeline) as will as the area being hit.  "Port Fourchon is packed with oil terminals and distribution facilities. It is the terminal for tankers bringing oil to the United States from overseas. The U.S. Department of Energy says 56 percent of the imported and Gulf of Mexico oil entering the United States passes this point."

ETA: at $3.54 it was $2.51 the night before Katrina.  I think this part of PA saw a $0.75 to $0.90 price spike that week in 2005.  Drove to work, gas in the $2.60, drove home the price was over $3.00

Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gas has DROPPED near me. over 20Cents right by my house, more in others. Not sure why but i didnt argue.

Your gas most likely dosent come from the Gulf of Mexico.

The increase in price is due to the speculators/profiteers watching the gulf pump rigs and refiners shutting down. I am not an expert by any means but my understanding is that these site supply areas geographic close by. You live in Michigan and are most likely not supplied by the gulf states oil rigs.

That makes sence, just been use to the local gas stations using anything for a excuse to jack up there prices. Been $3.72 to $3.85 for 5 miles in all directions from me for some time. (more the a month) Just went out to get a paper and it dropped again now to $3.55

Zar

ETA: Ding! 200! Guess i read more then i post
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#25]
3 vehicles filled this AM.
5 5 gallon cans as well.

This is normal for me just to stay out of lines with the bread and milk sheeple.

I try to keep the 5 gallon cans filled and cycle them through within 30 days.

I've shortened my driving circle for work this year, farthest jobsites were 9-13 miles.
Outside that range it's $20 per day for fule and lost time.

Pete
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct, Sir!
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  The best scam is the following:

If you are a contractor or doing a home repair project, go to giant eagle and buy $500 home depot gift cards.  Each card earns you $1.00 off per gallon.

I rarely pay for gas if I have some good side jobs.

The only hitch is, it takes 24 hours for the HD card to activate, so you have to by them in advance.

And that is an awesome idea!
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#28]
crud i'd like to fill up my cans but 2 things are stopping me.spare cash and a neice who came up and borrowed just a "little" bit to get her to the store.theirs a 20 i won't see anymore.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Not saying that our tanks and especially our spares should not be filled, but uh....this morning crude is trading $6.21/barrel less so far today. Big drop.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Not saying that our tanks and especially our spares should not be filled, but uh....this morning crude is trading $6.21/barrel less so far today. Big drop.

This was all over speculation about Hurricane Gustav doing all sorts of damage to oil rigs and what not causing the price to jump. Good thing that isn't the case.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What year Excursion are you guys driving? Which engine? I am looking for one and found a 2000 but the dealer wants 5000.00 over Edmunds retail price.  

ARe you happy with them?

I have a 2004 with the 6.0 in it.  Its a tough call which engine to go with, the 7.3L is more reliable and much more forgiving (this is purely what I have been told), but doesn't put out the numbers that the 6.0 does (Something like an extra hundred hp and at least that much tq.).  That being said, a chip can easily be thrown in the 7.3 to instantly meet the power gains from the 6.0.  We went with the 6.0 because of the overall great shape and low mileage of the vehicle, it had around 29k miles on it and we picked it up for $20k, which is an absolute steal in our area.

I get 17+ mixed driving (more city than freeway) and 22-23 on the freeway.  SOmetimes better if traffic is slow.  We've had ours for about 6k miles now, and are very satisfied with it.  Great vehicle, we tow a 30' 8,500 lb trailer regularly, and that is when it truly shines.  with the trailer behind it we still get 18ish on the freeway, sometimes more.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARe you happy with them?

sorry for the slow reply, missed your post.  ours is an '02 w/ the 7.3 powerstroke turbo diesel.  we've only had ours for a short time, but absolutely love it.  all kinds of room and power.  the mileage, from what i've read and people i've talked is excellent for a vehicle this big.  we previously hadn't filled the tank all the way.  we would just add $75 when it got down to 1/4 tank and call it good.  saturday i figured might as well fill it up and see what kind of mileage i'm getting.  

the 7.3 TD puts out less hp than the 6.0, but torque ratings are the same, iirc.  mine is chipped, so i don't know what kind of power it makes.  it gets up and goes though.  from all of my research, i found that the 7.3 would virtually run forever.  ford rushed the 6.0 to production too fast and didn't work out all of the bugs.  they spent part of '03 and most of '04 working out the bugs.  don't get an '03 6.0.  the '04 6.0s were either excellent or prone to problems, with very little middle ground.

when we were looking for ours, it wasn't uncommon to see them selling at blue book (NADA) value.  i saw quite a few that had 90k miles on them and the dealer was asking $24k for it.  private parties were all above the blue book.  i'm not familiar w/ the edmunds values, i use NADA or kelley blue book.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Here's one way to do it, along with advantages and disadvantages:

Installing a Diesel Aux Fuel Tank
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:41:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's one way to do it, along with advantages and disadvantages:

Installing a Diesel Aux Fuel Tank

That's a nice link--it certainly does a good job of laying out the issues.

The unit I've been looking at is Transfer Flow's 40 gal crossbed tank/toolbox combo.

Losing the cargo space is my biggest dilemma (the price slows me down a bit too!). I only have a 6.5 ft bed, so a crossbed tank will, as far as I can tell, keep me from easily hauling 8 ft lumber. Right now I just drop the tailgate for sheet goods or put 8' boards diagonally in the bed with the gate up.

The TF tank is a good tank but it's $$$.  I did mine for about $500 total.  Shipping was free on the tank so the second biggest cost was the $4/ft for the SAE J30R9 Fuel Injection Hose that I wanted to use for biodiesel.

Good luck.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top