Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2008 2:43:59 AM EST
How do you carry your and what do you have in it?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:16:37 AM EST
I use OTIS LEO kits and have one stored in every rifle case, as well as one in every BOB. Plus a cuple spares. I like the LEO version because it has the same brushes and accesories as the .MIL kit but is cheaper. (It just doesn't have black cables.)
Also each M14 clone and AR have GI but stock kits in the stocks for emergencies
Being prepared sure does get expensive
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:20:11 AM EST
I think you should look at a field repair kit rather than a field cleaning kit. The standard military cleaning kit that comes with M16s is a good one, just add to this a small multi-tool and a small earosol can of solvent like CRC or WD40 to blast away crud before oiling and some rags. Alternatively, a cleaning rod that can be taken apart, an old toothbrush, a brass-brissled sparkplug brush, a bore-brush and some patches will do the same thing. Spare parts would be specific to whatever guns(s) you carry. With regard to how it is carried, it isn't; its part of the gear that gets left in camp.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:10:16 AM EST
mines in teh buttstock... rope, brush, etc.
in my gear is an EG tin can style with rag,clp, punches and small tools and brushes.

worse case,,dirty stick and some grease from the axle of a truck and the rags off a dead zombie..
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 4:45:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By BULLDAWG_556:
I use OTIS LEO kits and have one stored in every rifle case, as well as one in every BOB. Plus a cuple spares. I like the LEO version because it has the same brushes and accesories as the .MIL kit but is cheaper. (It just doesn't have black cables.)
Also each M14 clone and AR have GI but stock kits in the stocks for emergencies
Being prepared sure does get expensive

while you are correct, being unprepared is more expensive - it may cost you your life.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:39:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/7/2008 6:05:49 AM EST by Lympago]
The OTIS kits are the way to go. Old style sectional rod cleaning kits have been the demise of too many good barrel crowns to count in the military and if you want to maintain your rifles crown and maintain it's accuracy in part by doing it than use an OTIS where the flex rod can be feed from the chamber to the muzzle on every one of your firearms from pistols to rifles and you can have all the brushes, patches and bits you'll need in one of OTIS's hamburger shaped pouches.
I haven't used my rods since getting into OTIS and I clean my firearms thoroughly with care everytime. The only rod I keep in one of my M1A's case is a solid brass rod to clear obstructions just in case, but I've never had to use it.

For me now getting rid of my POF which will be the last AR I ever own, I've standardized down to just .30 caliber weapons and .22LR. With the OTIS Tactical kit I've clean everything from .22LR's to 12 gauge with ease. The only extra's besides that I need are a two ended green cleaning brush, CLP, Hoppe's 9 and Tetra grease and oil.
For BOB though I know I can do it all to the point I'll need for a long time with just the Tetra grease and oil.

OTIS Tactical kit

OTISGUN.com
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:01:22 AM EST
OTIS kits in BOB, truck, weapon cases etc. Works well for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:31:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By xd675:
OTIS kits in BOB, truck, weapon cases etc. Works well for me.

+1 on OTIS Kits
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:40:43 AM EST
I keep a pull through cord, toothbrush, silicon cloth, broken case extractor and small bottle of oil in my 2nd line gear. I keep a spare parts kit in the pistol grip of each rifle.

I'f you have fixed stocks I would suggest the USGI kit, if not the OTIS is a good way to go, just to bulky for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:57:29 AM EST
Knotted boot lace + motor oil...good to go!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:07:00 AM EST
I don't carry anything in a spray can if weight is critical.

A quality bottle like a contact lens fluid dropper bottle from WM.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:17:31 AM EST
In the pistol grip of my AK I keep a cut down toothbrush, ruptured case extractor, pull-through, spare hammer/trigger pins with e-clips, and a spare set of coin cell batteries that fit both the Russian 4X and the red dot sight. On board the M1A I keep the standard kit in the stock, as well as a spare extractor and spring, firing pin, ejector and spring. ruptured case extractor, a couple of allen wrenches, 4 each 123 cells for the SF weapons light, and a cut down toothbrush. It all rides in a pouch on the off-side of the buttstock.
It's better to have too much than not enough.
Top Top