Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 7:29:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 12:09:59 PM EDT by Rapidfire_85]
Hey guys, Just wanted to give an update to the SF about the flood going on in my area. It is getting serious, I have been helping sandbag when I am not working my own job, but sandbag efforts have ceased as of 6pm tonight. We have a river diversion drain within 25yds of my apt complex. They have built a ~4ft earth dike on top of the permanent dike that is supposed to be good to 43ft. Hope it holds, we are on the 2nd floor I have everything in my garage at least 3ft off the floor so I'm not too worried about flood damage. Car is packed with gear (sleeping bags/pads for me and the Mrs + clothes, water, food, etc) in case of a mandatory evac. No plans to leave quite yet but destination is prearranged at my best bud's house.

This isn't a pic of the Red River. It is actually a diversion drain that is normally ~20ft deep with maybe 1ft of water in it. Black dirt on opposite side is earth dike and a matching one was completed overnight (lastnight) on our side of the drain. There is also a walking path that passes under the bridge to give you an idea how high the water is...

Some families have certainly had the SHTF for them, I am not from this area originally (~8 months) but they haven't had a flood like this since 1997, and I think we are ~2ft above that flood stage (crest ~43ft), which also surpassed a 1897 record. All this rain and flooding , then we get a blizzard. It severely hampered sandbagging and dike building efforts since you can't place a frozen bag as they will not hold back water if they don't conform to eachother. overnight low is 0.

What this post is all about is how important prepping is for natural disasters like this. Did I know this flood was coming before this week....No. Did I have to run to Wal-mart for anything?.....no. Do I feel my family is threatened by starvation, death, or violence. No. I have water, filtration, food, fuel, and everything was in place BEFORE this all went down. All in all, if you are on this website you have taken more initiative than most people in the country and that is something you should be proud of. If you are religious, keep this area in your prayers, if not, I'm not mad at you. Stay safe out there and it isn't bad to be prepared. :)

-RF

here is the latest cnn link that was on the front page

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/weather/03/27/north.dakota.flooding/index.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:45:07 PM EDT
Stay safe and post when you can.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:48:11 PM EDT
Good luck brother to the north.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:56:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By takurpic:
Stay safe and post when you can.

this. y'all are in our prayers, for sure...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:18:57 AM EDT
Good luck and keep the family safe brother. Sounds like your ready to beat feet if needed too. Thats a good thing.
I would rather take on a hoard of zombies with a Lorcin .380 than try and battle Mother Nature
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:02:05 AM EDT
Praying for you and Fargo too.

FWIW, you might consider looking at the stuff in the garage and decide is there any of it you want to carry upstairs to the second floor. A pile of garage stuff under the dining table or behind the couch for a week unneeded will be better than dealing with it if you get more than 3' in there.

Praying HARD for ND Rapidfire, HARD
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:20:25 AM EDT
bunch of guys from the base are coming down/already there. is 94 still open?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:23:00 AM EDT
Good luck and stay safe.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:55:56 AM EDT
The whole area is a total mess. My parents bugged out of their house on Friday morning. THey were building sand bag dikes for 4 days and built it up to 41 feet until they heard Thursday night the river would crest at 42 feet. At least their main floor is located at about 43 feet, so hopefully they will come back to a house still standing although the entire basement may be an indoor swimming pool
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:33:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 4:33:01 PM EDT by Rapidfire_85]

Here is an updated picture of the same bridge over the diversion drain 27. As you can see, it warmed up and snow is beginning to melt again. Actual distance of water to the bottom 'supports' of the bridge is ~2". There is prob an extra 1" of extra moisture stuck in the new snowfall from the past few days, and even more than that was leftover from the winter. We'll see what happens as it continues to melt off.

This is a pic from inside of the Fargo Dome around 1am on the 26th. You can see about 1/3rd of the volunteers here. Not pictured on the left side are 3 more large metal dump truck containers being filled and 6+ sand piles with volunteers filling/tying and stacking bags on pallets. I think last i heard we were cranking out ~300,000 bags per day. The picture was taken as me and a friend were leaving, there were so many volunteers they were having trouble keeping sand in the building (hence the people standing around). We went driving to find an area that needed help and filled bags at a highway dept garage until 5am. The white pallets on the right side are pallets of stacked bags waiting to be picked up by flatbed semi-trailers.

Sandbagging is hard, backbreaking work I've found out. The people who came out are great. Male/Female, Young/Old, Strong/Weak, everybody who could come out was there busting their butts slinging sand and it was a great feeling to know how a community can come together. The plan now seems to be hurry up and wait for the snow to melt and handle things as they come. River has dropped an inch or so, but we have been assured that does not mean it has crested yet.

NAM - eastbound 94 was closed for a while yesterday from Jamestown-Fargo, but has since been reopened. Glad to have them here for sure!

mcnielsen- I hope your parents house holds up alright, and that they got some stuff out of the basement. Take care, I wish you and yours the best

Update:

Latest Press Conference notes
http://valleyfloodwatch.com/news/city-of-fargo-afternoon-press-conference-notes/

City of Fargo afternoon press conference notes
By Valley Flood Watch ⋅ March 27, 2009 ⋅ Email This Post Email This Post ⋅ Print This Post Print This Post ⋅ Post a comment

03.27.2009 Fargo City Press Conference notes:

Red River level steady at 40.66 feet last couple hours. All levees built to 43 feet. NWS saying there is significant water south of Fargo. Mayor Walaker said lots of water in the Wild Rice. Crest hopefully in the next 24 hours but could continue for a week or longer. More precipitation in the forecast could continue to create problems.

Voluntary evacuation on the river side of contingency dikes.

Evacuees report to the staging area at Red River Valley Fairgrounds. Will be checked in and transported to shelters in Casselton area. Individuals with special needs will go to shelters in West Fargo.

Over three million sandbags have been produced. Sandbagging scheduled to shut down at 6pm tonight.

Good progress on the main dikes. Containment dikes will be done today as well.

Driving restrictions may be lifted after 6pm north of 32nd Avenue South. If events change, road closures could go back in to effect immediately.

National Guard is patrolling dikes. Goal is to site visit dikes every two hours, allowing for any issues to be addressed quickly.

Dike Monitoring: three fold process, City Engineering has a designated engineer for each neighborhood. Call 241-1545 if you see something with a dike. 58 two-person teams will be assigned to the neighborhoods and dike systems on a priority basis. Most critical spots on the levee will be visited every 15 - 30 minutes. If you see leakage and think something is wrong call the engineering office! If there is serious leakage or signs of a breach, call 911 and the fire department will be dispatched.

Stockpiles of clay and heavy equipment strategically placed around town to allow quick response if need arises. Goal: 300,000 sandbags in reserve in warm garages to back up the quick response teams, placed strategically around Fargo by 6pm tonight.

Governor Hoeven again stated not to worry about making up missed school days.

The Mayor reinforced that at this time, we do not need to be concerned about the waste water and storm sewers.

Voluntary evacuations in place for anyone between a primary levee and contingency dike.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:46:15 PM EDT
Stay safe!

been watching this on the news today, you guys definitely arent having a drought.

FOX just said that the river might not crest at 43' but at 41' so that might help you out if that is true.
Top Top