Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 5:34:25 AM EDT
After working well in concert, in spontaneous, spur of the moment situations in the past 7 of my rural neighbors are considering formalizing a mutual support 'neighborhood watch'.  Problem is,  these best qualified and willing candidates are spread over more than 1 1/2 mile of territory.  Few of the homes are in direct sight of each other.  If anybody has worked out any communication system for a rural location, I could use the input.  Even if it is untried, or conjecture from fiction.  So far, our talking involves things with large down-sides like CB radio, huge bells, sirens and monster sky rockets. Fire response is typically 20 minutes;police reponse time is typically 40 minutes-plus!  Ideas sought!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
After working well in concert, in spontaneous, spur of the moment situations in the past 7 of my rural neighbors are considering formalizing a mutual support 'neighborhood watch'.  Problem is,  these best qualified and willing candidates are spread over more than 1 1/2 mile of territory.  Few of the homes are in direct sight of each other.  If anybody has worked out any communication system for a rural location, I could use the input.  Even if it is untried, or conjecture from fiction.  So far, our talking involves things with large down-sides like CB radio, huge bells, sirens and monster sky rockets. Fire response is typically 20 minutes;police reponse time is typically 40 minutes-plus!  Ideas sought!

CB radio sounds like a good method...just develop good radio discipline to include using call signs, code words, & utilizing mutliple channels.  If things turn bad, running commo wire between some of the houses could be another alternative (the surplus stuff is cheap).  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

CB radio sounds like a good method...just develop good radio discipline to include using call signs, code words, & utilizing mutliple channels.  If things turn bad, running commo wire between some of the houses could be another alternative (the surplus stuff is cheap).  
**** Private wire would be ideal;  but only 2 participants live adjacent, and there are serious issues with stringing over a  mile of wire across non- associated private real estate, water-courses and state highway. My need is for present day, prior to "event " planning!  Thanks-
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The other side of the equation is that you cannot all easily be surrounded by a single force.  Do NOT underestimate the effect of an 'outside the wire' reaction force.

I'd plan on using military field phones for most commo, they don't call radio "broadcasting" for nothing.  In the event of an emergency, the radios can be used as a backup in case the phone wires get cut.   YOu can run the wires underground, in the trees, etc to conceal it.  Just work out a schedule of commo so you can monitor each other.  

You have what is a near-ideal setup.  Get some good defensinve and medical training and you'll be set up.

Ops
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Convince everyone to spend a little time and $14 to get their amateur radio license. For about $130 you can each pick up a 2M radio and then have more than enough power to cover that distance.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The other side of the equation is that you cannot all easily be surrounded by a single force.  Do NOT underestimate the effect of an 'outside the wire' reaction force.

I'd plan on using military field phones for most commo, they don't call radio "broadcasting" for nothing.  In the event of an emergency, the radios can be used as a backup in case the phone wires get cut.   YOu can run the wires underground, in the trees, etc to conceal it.  Just work out a schedule of commo so you can monitor each other.  

You have what is a near-ideal setup.  Get some good defensinve and medical training and you'll be set up.

Ops
**** Understand- these are not all bosum buddies nor killer angels, but like minded 'old time' neighbors, all of similar local origin, who are willing to stick their nose in if one indicates they are supposed to.  These are gun owners, but not at all 'tactically minded' (1 exception).  Households of recent discussion group includes 1 RN and 1 part-time EMT, and an elderly mother who delivers babies(or has in past). Edit: We had an 'Amber Alert" type thing in neighborhood recently, and these folks were the core of the 'posse' that showed up...showed up immediately.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
How about a bell tower for each home? Lo tech, never needs batteries, easy to use... when the bell starts clanging nonstop, all neighbors ought to call/come running. Bells worked for a thousand years to help people raise the fire/threat alarm for far flung communities.

Later sirens took over the task but they're just not as simple.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't see a big problem with CBs for homestead-to-homestead communications. The range on these (especially with any kind of base antenna) is more than adequate. If you are worried about commsec, get one of these for every radio: www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=SS70C

It's more than adequate for comsec in the case of any bandits or raiders. If you are trying to try to hide your comms from the .gov, you have bigger problems.

Stay Safe,
AGreyMan

ETA: Congrats on forming a group like this. It doesn't have to be TEOTWAWKI to see that being able to work with and have the assistance of your neighbors is a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't see a big problem with CBs for homestead-to-homestead communications. The range on these (especially with any kind of base antenna) is more than adequate. If you are worried about commsec, get one of these for every radio: www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=SS70C

It's more than adequate for comsec in the case of any bandits or raiders. If you are trying to try to hide your comms from the .gov, you have bigger problems.

Stay Safe,
AGreyMan

ETA: Congrats on forming a group like this. It doesn't have to be TEOTWAWKI to see that being able to work with and have the assistance of your neighbors is a good thing.
****Thanks - didn't know scramblers for CB existed.  I highly recommend getting together with neighborhood folks,who are not your friends or relatives, for any reason (excuse).  I learned much really significant info in just minutes.  Just like on this forum, a bunch of folks collectively know a lot of stuff; but, the facts lay-around in dull isolation until linked up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
CB (11 meter) running on SSB will help . Mile and a half no problem . Pick a channel that does not have a lot of traffic .

Cheap , effective .
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Using codes to hide the meaning of a transmission is a violation of FCC regulations.

Absolutely correct. However, you pretty much have to have the worst luck in the world (like, the opposite of winning the lottery) or actually kill someone with a CB radio before the FCC will do anything. Hyperbole, but not by much.

Quoted:
If you're being attacked by a force with communication scanners you've pissed off the wrong people - the ones with three digiit call signs.

Amen, brother.

Stay Safe,
AGreyMan
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
FRS radio might do that distance if that mile and a half isn't an honest mile and a half. GRMS would likely work. Ham or CB base stations dead nutz easy.

Using codes to hide the meaning of a transmission is a violation of FCC regulations. If you're being attacked by a force with communication scanners you've pissed off the wrong people - the ones with three digiit call signs.
****Seriously, You're saying..... "MR. Green and Mr. Blue are urgently needed at the Bunny Ranch", is illegal.  I'm reminded of the injun in "Dances w/Wolves" stating "If I have to be afraid of a single line of smoke on my own land, I might as well get dead".  What about the almost universal CB use of 'handles', is that illegal?  Does anyone know of an instance of arrest for using a CB handle to 'hide the meaning'?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So far, our talking involves things like...... monster sky rockets

Hmmmmmmm...... "Monster" Sky Rockets ..... Pyrotechnic Goodness!  Sign me up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top