Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 11:04:20 PM EDT
In a civil unrest situation what is a likely scenario?  During a situation like Katrina were clinics/rehab centers also looted?  I doubt L.E would secure these places.
The reason I ask is my brother was involved in an accident that has left him in a long term rehab with limited mobility only on his left side.  He has also suffered some brain damage but right now it seems as thought it has effected his memory and movement on his right.  So far it seems as though he can process to some degree.  His only meds at this time are pain meds.  

My sister and I work close by so we could get to him fairly quickly.  Can anyone give some insight to this scenario?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, sorry to hear about your brother.

The only thing I would think would be of value from those facilities would be the prescription narcotics.  I remember reading reports that pharmacies were looted, and some were occupied by police to provide meds to aid stations.  There were stories of nursing homes being abandoned with elderly and disabled patients/residents being left behind (to die).

From my memory of the Katrina news stories, there would be a low risk of looting, but high risk of your brother being left behind to fend for himself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Rehab centers would definitely be looted. Junkies and other addicts know where they can find drugs. Rehab centers and retirement houses are high up on the list. You would need to get to your brother. I'm afraid you can't ask a doctor to prescribe more pain meds because you're preparing for shtf, they're controlled substances. You best bet is to have a talk with your brother and see if he can live without his medicine. Withdrawal will suck greatly in the first few days after he runs out of his medicine. Google remedies to help with painkiller withdrawal.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First off, sorry to hear about your brother.

The only thing I would think would be of value from those facilities would be the prescription narcotics.  I remember reading reports that pharmacies were looted, and some were occupied by police to provide meds to aid stations.  There were stories of nursing homes being abandoned with elderly and disabled patients/residents being left behind (to die).

From my memory of the Katrina news stories, there would be a low risk of looting, but high risk of your brother being left behind to fend for himself.

Thank you so much for your comments.  I did remeber those stoies too but couldn't recall if looting took place or not.  I guess the hardest part during such a time would be getting to him or being stopped by LE.  Once there I imagine we could secure him and hopefully move him out.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rehab centers would definitely be looted. Junkies and other addicts know where they can find drugs. Rehab centers and retirement houses are high up on the list. You would need to get to your brother. I'm afraid you can't ask a doctor to prescribe more pain meds because you're preparing for shtf, they're controlled substances. You best bet is to have a talk with your brother and see if he can live without his medicine. Withdrawal will suck greatly in the first few days after he runs out of his medicine. Google remedies to help with painkiller withdrawal.

Good luck.

thanks for your comments.  I haven't spoken to him directly concerning this but I do encourage him to not take more meds than he has to.  I will talk to him about this.  My sister and I work close by so we could get to him fairly quickly during work hours.  Evening time will be a challenge as we live in a city.  Need to conjure up some plans.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
After seeing what happened during Katrina I would say that if you have any family members that are in the care of any facility you should have a plan to get them out if necessary and not depend on the personal there to do it for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top