Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2013 6:32:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 8:28:59 PM EST by Dace]
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/10/search-continues-for-missing-nevada-couple-4-children/

Family missing with 4 kids, went to play in snow, no word on how prepared they were.

I sometimes wonder if some of us were in this situation it would be a major non issue. I know when I got out into the mountains I go over prepared and leave detailed maps/instructions of where I am going.

I get lots of laughs when I haul 3 days worth of gear including blankets and sleeping bags for a 6 hour play in the snow trip, but this reminds me why I do it.

I am praying for this family to be found safely bundled up in their Jeep.

Edit: family found alive

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/10/missing-nevada-family-found-safe/
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:55:22 AM EST
Gonna guess they either left their vehicle and got lost, or tried to take it down a "road" and got stuck along the way. Jeep are all nice right until you realize today's jeep is a far, far cry from the willies.

It'll be a miracle if they're found alive, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:20:40 AM EST
No cell reception there I'm guessing.

I doubt your average family has any real "kit" in their vehicle or wilderness skills. No clue what the terrain is like but just using the vehicle to survive...maybe the cig lighter can ignite some cloth to start a fire for heat after the fuel runs out, huddle together in the back seat for warmth, melt snow in the passenger compartment (cup holders, tail light lenses, arm rest/console)...but at the end of the day they are still dependent on a rescue or walking out (if the vehicle is stuck). Even for a rescue, I'm thinking a fire or laying an "X" on the ground in branches/logs would be needed...

Hopefully they pull through!

And I think for most of us, this situation would suck...I mean who ENJOYS getting lost?...But we'd survive.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:02:05 AM EST
I drove through that area last Saturday daytime. Never got above 5 deg. Moderate wind. Unless they were prepared, it doesn't look good.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:27:51 AM EST
Looks like they found them alive and well....great news!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:59:13 AM EST
Link?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:03:26 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DaveSpud:
Link?
View Quote

GTS
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:16:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By DaveSpud:
Link?
View Quote

Link

LOVELOCK, Nev., Dec. 10 (UPI) -- Six members of a Nevada family were found alive and apparently well Tuesday after being lost in snow-covered wilderness since the weekend, officials said.

All six appeared to be in good condition,
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:02:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 2:34:27 PM EST by Cowboy1967]

About 3 miles from the last known sighting. it was reported that around 2:00pm Sunday they were spinning doughnuts and fishtailing just outside the mine camp cite. I guess it was hard to spot the under carriage from the air.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:16:51 PM EST
Yeah, unless they had some gear with them, I would bet the odds on a 'recovery' vs. 'rescue'. And that is if they are able to find them at all.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:25:45 PM EST
Now that they have been rescued, idiot adults!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:27:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 2:30:39 PM EST by jnk556]
At risk of sounding like a dick, you play stupid games win stupid prizes.

If you don't know what the hell your doing, and have no gear, don't go wondering off, and playing around.

When you go into BFE to play, always have a plan, in case shit goes south, end of story.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:12:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 3:13:26 PM EST by FrankSymptoms]
Originally Posted By jnk556:

If you don't know what the hell your doing, and have no gear, don't go wondering off, and playing around.

When you go into BFE to play, always have a plan, in case shit goes south, end of story.
View Quote

Problem is that so many people feel "entitled' to be able to go into the wilderness and have fun. They have no IDEA just how brutal things can get out there! Their perception of reality comes from Disney movies and car commercial (where the driver does some incredible, fun-looking stuff); when SHTF, they just don't have the brains to figure out what went wrong.

4x4s usually get about 50 feet farther than 2x vehicles; then they need a tow truck to pull them out.

eta I am glad they were found safely. I hope someone explains just how badly they screwed up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:34:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

Problem is that so many people feel "entitled' to be able to go into the wilderness and have fun. They have no IDEA just how brutal things can get out there! Their perception of reality comes from Disney movies and car commercial (where the driver does some incredible, fun-looking stuff); when SHTF, they just don't have the brains to figure out what went wrong.

4x4s usually get about 50 feet farther than 2x vehicles; then they need a tow truck to pull them out.

eta I am glad they were found safely. I hope someone explains just how badly they screwed up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

He's being hailed a "hero" because he built a fire to keep them warm.. Fuck me hero's come cheap these days.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:44:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By Cowboy1967:
He's being hailed a "hero" because he built a fire to keep them warm.. Fuck me hero's come cheap these days.
View Quote

Plenty here were saying it wasn't looking good with temps and snow. I don't know if hero is the right word but it could have ended very very badly if he didn't have a decent head on his shoulders. The family is alive after an accident and some pretty extreme weather, good for them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:48:04 PM EST

View All Quotes

Well, he was dumb enough to go out there and get stuck, but smart enough to build a fire, I deem it a wash
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:30:20 PM EST
Missing Nevada family found alive after two days in wilderness

RENO, Nev. - A desperate search for a couple and four children missing for two days in the below-zero cold of Nevada's rugged mountains turned jubilant Tuesday when rescuers guided in part by cellphone signals and footprints in the snow found them alive and well near their overturned Jeep.

About 200 people had searched by land and air after the group of six failed to return Sunday from a trip to play in the snow near their hometown of Lovelock, in Nevada's high desert.

"They stayed together and that was the key that allowed them to live through this experience. You don't see that that often in search and rescue," said Paul Burke, search-and-rescue coordinator for the state. "They did some pretty unusual things, heating up rocks and things. Staying together, that was a big deal."

Their Jeep had overturned just off a road. A member of the rescue team said the engine would no longer start, but the group stayed in the upside-down vehicle for shelter, burning the spare tire to keep warm.

The six were taken to Pershing General Hospital, where about 100 well-wishers lined the street and broke into cheers when two of the smallest children were taken from an ambulance. Others walked into the hospital on their own.
"We are thrilled beyond words," said Col. Tim Hahn of the Civil Air Patrol, which used several planes to search for the group.

Rescuers began scouring the Seven Troughs Area wilderness on Sunday night for James Glanton, 34; his girlfriend, Christina McIntee, 25; their two children, Evan and Chloe Glanton; and Shelby Fitzpatrick and Tate McIntee, a niece and nephew of McIntee's. The children range in age from 3 to 10.

The situation grew more dire as overnight temperatures in Lovelock dipped to 16 below zero.

A cellphone forensics team analyzed which towers the group's phone was in contact with during their trip, giving searchers a better idea of where they might be, Hahn said. They were so far out in the wilderness that they apparently were unable to call for help.

Search volunteer Chris Montes said he and two rescuers with him first spotted children's footprints in the snow, then followed a set of Jeep tracks until they found the flipped vehicle and the family beside it.

"They just said that they knew somebody was going to find them," Montes said.

The discovery prompted a wave of relief on social media.

"Very glad to hear the missing family in Lovelock has been found and they are safe!" Gov. Brian Sandoval tweeted. "Thank you to all who worked so tirelessly to find them!"

The Seven Troughs area is named for seven parallel canyons below Seven Trough Peak, elevation 7,474 feet. It is about 20 miles southeast of Black Rock Desert, where the annual Burning Man counterculture festival is held.

A former gold mining region 100 miles northeast of Reno, it is wide open and wind swept.
Most of the roads are dirt and more easily traveled by ATVs or other off-road vehicles.

Seven Troughs is a popular area for hunting chukars, a pheasant-size winter game bird.

"So it's not the kind of area where there would be nobody around," Nevada Department of Wildlife spokesman Chris Healy said. "But most chukar hunters are smart enough not to go out in the weather we have now."

(story continues here.)
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:35:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By JakeThePimp:

Plenty here were saying it wasn't looking good with temps and snow. I don't know if hero is the right word but it could have ended very very badly if he didn't have a decent head on his shoulders. The family is alive after an accident and some pretty extreme weather, good for them.
View All Quotes

They could see the helicopters and here searchers blowing whistles but he did not try and signal back. They had a fire how fucking smart do you have to be to throw some sage top on the fire. It smokes a really gray thick smoke.

I am pissed at the rescue folks too. How do you not search the three fucking road and only three road out there. How do they miss a fire and 6 bodies with FLIR. There is no shortage of derp in this deal. The biggest is not finding a overturned jeep 3 mile from where it was last seen on the road it was last seen on.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:18:31 PM EST
Regardless of how smart or stupid the dad was to get his family in that situation, he kept them alive and that is a win.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:30:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 6:30:54 PM EST by Phlather]
well at some point someone made a decision that burning the spare was more important then having it as a spare.

tires do make ALOT of smoke, odd no one saw or smelled that. didnt read anything about the interior of the jeep being ripped out and burned so i bet the adults didnt wanna
completely wreck their jeep which means they figured they would be found i guess.

just some thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:52:25 PM EST
I'm a SAR tech with my agency, and a state certified Land Nav/Map and Compass instructor, as well as a high altitude/mountain survival instructor. I'm surprised they were found alive, and was expecting the worst.

First rule though (besides taking your brain with you when you leave home)-Don't leave a sure thing (shelter), for an unsure thing-was followed.

Don't put faith in a sooty smoke signal, it can be lost quickly due to wind effect, and one has to have a keen eye in the first place to see it, especially at distance.

I've seen people think a cellphone, a lighter, and a granola bar are proper survival gear. This could've ended very badly, but since they were going out/up in the hills for a day of fun in the snow, it looks like they were at least dressed for the weather, so they had that going for them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:00:07 PM EST

View All Quotes

Bet you his "Jeep" had all season radials. This guy is an idiot for sure.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:26:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By Depidy_Dawg:
I'm a SAR tech with my agency, and a state certified Land Nav/Map and Compass instructor, as well as a high altitude/mountain survival instructor. I'm surprised they were found alive, and was expecting the worst.

First rule though (besides taking your brain with you when you leave home)-Don't leave a sure thing (shelter), for an unsure thing-was followed.

Don't put faith in a sooty smoke signal, it can be lost quickly due to wind effect, and one has to have a keen eye in the first place to see it, especially at distance.

I've seen people think a cellphone, a lighter, and a granola bar are proper survival gear. This could've ended very badly, but since they were going out/up in the hills for a day of fun in the snow, it looks like they were at least dressed for the weather, so they had that going for them.
View Quote

Okay with all that said.. Would you not sent a search crew to drive the road they were last seen on? They were literally 3 miles down the road from where the chucker hunters last saw the spinning doughnuts in the Jeep. 3 miles on the road. the jeep was upside down on the road.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:34:18 PM EST

Okay with all that said.. Would you not sent a search crew to drive the road they were last seen on? They were literally 3 miles down the road from where the chucker hunters last saw the spinning doughnuts in the Jeep. 3 miles on the road. the jeep was upside down on the road.
View All Quotes

Yup, Basic Area Search 101. Interview friends, family, eyewitnesses, and re-create possible routes. Have wheeled/tracked/sled/horseback searches of likely routes. Follow-up by aerial assets along likely routes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:50:50 PM EST

Yup, Basic Area Search 101. Interview friends, family, eyewitnesses, and re-create possible routes. Have wheeled/tracked/sled/horseback searches of likely routes. Follow-up by aerial assets along likely routes.
View All Quotes

See that is what I am not understanding. At first the dad in me was pissed that this guy was out play like a hoped up teenager in his jeep with the kids in there but I am over that as he did do what need doing to keep the alive. My anger now is in the SAR leadership. It is fucking crazy that the spent a night out there little a lone two.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:16:46 PM EST

See that is what I am not understanding. At first the dad in me was pissed that this guy was out play like a hoped up teenager in his jeep with the kids in there but I am over that as he did do what need doing to keep the alive. My anger now is in the SAR leadership. It is fucking crazy that the spent a night out there little a lone two.
View All Quotes

I'd like to know more about their search methodology before making a judgment.

We have a 5 page form we fill out whenever we get a SAR callout/overdue party call.

Most folks leave home without telling somebody where they went, where they went, and when they'd be back. Oftentimes even if they do all that, they will deviate from the plan, and that makes it that much harder for the SAR folks.

We work on a circular probable area, based upon average vehicle or foot speed, and make our initial search area parameters based upon that. I don't know how many deputies they have on patrol, but first step is to have an initial "Quick Reaction" team fan out on all navigable roads and most likely roads for a route reconnaisance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:13:24 AM EST
5 things the family did right to survive
CNN - A family of six spent two days in the wilderness in sub-zero temperatures after their Jeep rolled off the side of a dirt road and into a crevice. It could have had a much different outcome.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:01:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 1:10:45 AM EST by Dana1972]

They could see the helicopters and here searchers blowing whistles but he did not try and signal back. They had a fire how fucking smart do you have to be to throw some sage top on the fire. It smokes a really gray thick smoke.

I am pissed at the rescue folks too. How do you not search the three fucking road and only three road out there. How do they miss a fire and 6 bodies with FLIR. There is no shortage of derp in this deal. The biggest is not finding a overturned jeep 3 mile from where it was last seen on the road it was last seen on.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:07:01 AM EST
On the Today show the two men and two woman hosting were joking they wouldnt have known what to do without a Starbucks to go to. They all laughed and joked about that.

Sad.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:20:01 AM EST
Heated up rocks and burned the spare tire?

I think all those weekends of watching Survivorman paid off.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:08:47 AM EST
Heating rocks impressed the search organizers? It was to the point of ingénues? Do They not know why people built rock rings around fires for thousands of years? It's not to keep the fire in. Holy shit it's no wonder these people had to spend two full nights out there. The SAR was probably still trying to turn their flash lights on.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:02:54 AM EST
Heating rocks impressed the search organizers? It was to the point of ingénues? Do They not know why people built rock rings around fires for thousands of years? It's not to keep the fire in. Holy shit it's no wonder these people had to spend two full nights out there. The SAR was probably still trying to turn their flash lights on.
View Quote

Did you read he also built the fire between the Jeep and a berm. Sounds like the guy knew what he was doing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:49:48 AM EST
Its neither here nor there, but yes, looks like there was a lot of fail on all sides. The SAR should have had a better plan, no doubt about that. I own a large plot of land out there in the same exact area they are in there on Seven Troughs road, and there are quite a few more than 3 roads in that area, I know this for a fact. That being said, the driver should have been better prepared, that and not been doing donuts messing around in such a remote area with his kids in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:53:58 AM EST
Lots of criticism from people here who weren't there. Everyone is basing their criticism on what they read in the news. We all know how accurate the news is.

The family survived. They were found. Sure they could have done things better but they didn't. The most important thing is, they survived.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:22:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
Regardless of how smart or stupid the dad was to get his family in that situation, he kept them alive and that is a win.

View Quote

I will concede to that point. After all, that is the purpose is it not?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:41:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

View Quote

Exactly. Not sure why the SF has turned on this guy so much.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:00:41 PM EST
SAR was successful, they found them before any loss of life or limb.

The family was successful, they escaped the situation without injury.

I'm guessing that all the backseat drivers never leave the house without a convoy of vehicles and supplies and then issue position reports and sitreps every 60 seconds Sure, a radio or PLB may have made things less risky, but they at least brought enough to last them a couple days, and left enough information to be found if something went wrong. That's a lot better than most people out there, and pretty reasonable preparation for a day trip.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:16:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By Dace:

Did you read he also built the fire between the Jeep and a berm. Sounds like the guy knew what he was doing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dace:

I am over being mad at this guy. He fucked up but he pull his shit together and got his family through. I am fucking livid that they spent two full nights out there. I shit you not if the SAR drove 3 miles down the road from where they were last seen the would have drove right into them.. How the fuck does that happen?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:06:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Lots of criticism from people here who weren't there. Everyone is basing their criticism on what they read in the news. We all know how accurate the news is.

The family survived. They were found. Sure they could have done things better but they didn't. The most important thing is, they survived.
View Quote

I live here and I hunt that area a lot. I know that area very well. That is what is making me sick about this deal. There are only three through road up there. How do they not simply drive the roads looking? There is no light pollution so a fire should have been very easy to spot from the air at night. The weather was crystal clear so smoke should have been easy to spot from anywhere. The wind was very light 5-8 mph. Sound should carry a long damn ways out there. I know in the past in weather like that I can hear trucks/quads and people talking a few miles away. I honestly believe these people would have been better off if just some friends and family would have gone out looking for them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:27:17 PM EST
Could they not have rolled the jeep back upright?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:44:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:13:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
I think they did fine considering excellent would have been we wouldn't be hearing about at all.

They had a plan, if we don't come back somebody come get us and it worked. Not everyone is going to jack the jeep back over or have a bugout plan that includes gear. They knew enough to have the right clothes for the weather which beats 90% of the joy riders I've seen and knew enough to build a fire and use it.

The problem is guys, you never hear about the people who are prepared for this type thing. Its the one's who aren't we hear about and those if they live without losing toes or fingers etc., they did damn fine.

Tj
View Quote

Agree! The truly prepared individual would have been outta there that night or the next morning...

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:58:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
I think they did fine considering excellent would have been we wouldn't be hearing about at all.

They had a plan, if we don't come back somebody come get us and it worked. Not everyone is going to jack the jeep back over or have a bugout plan that includes gear. They knew enough to have the right clothes for the weather which beats 90% of the joy riders I've seen and knew enough to build a fire and use it.

The problem is guys, you never hear about the people who are prepared for this type thing. Its the one's who aren't we hear about and those if they live without losing toes or fingers etc., they did damn fine.

Tj
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:13:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By warlord:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By warlord:
CNN - A family of six spent two days in the wilderness in sub-zero temperatures after their Jeep rolled off the side of a dirt road and into a crevice. It could have had a much different outcome.

From the comments section of the CNN article:

1) They told relatives where they were going
They had children that weren't theirs with them so of course they had to tell people where they were going. Not attributed to their smarts.

2) They didn't leave to go find help
They had 3 toddlers with them and rough terrain and knew there was nothing around and nowhere to reasonably walk to for help. It wouldn't be possible for them to leave their vehicle, even if they wanted to. With 3 toddlers? Nope. Not attributed to their smarts.

3) They were prepared for the elements
They were headed out to play in the snow, of course they had winter wear with them. Duh. Not attributed to genius either.

4) They improvised to stay warm
Fire hasn't been a "clever heating system" for quite some time now…catch up, caveman.

5) They had food and water
Well not enough
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:17:14 AM EST
"Officials remained undaunted despite the fact they no longer received pings off the cell phone of the missing persons, said Sheila Reitz of the Pershing County Sheriff's Office.

On Monday, authorities had been encouraged when they were able to receive a couple of pings from the phone of Glanton. Cell service is spotty because the area is so remote.

The Civil Air Patrol, an auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, said its cell phone forensics experts "played a critical role in helping rescuers narrow the search area," according to a statement by the patrol.

"The cell phone forensics team pinpointed where they could not possibly be," Nevada Wing Commander Col. Tim Hahn said in a statement. The forensic efforts "were very time-consuming," he said.

"This morning they provided a key clue that redirected the search and led to the rescue," Hahn said."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/nevada-family-found-alive/index.html

I guess they didn't keep a cell phone charger in the jeep.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:19:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 8:19:41 AM EST by EXPY37]
I can see it now...

"Well guys, tomorrow we run out of food..."

All of them, looking around at each other.... Thinking, hmmm....

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:32:56 AM EST
The next time Mom says "I swear to god I'll drive this car right off the road" they'll believe her.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:39:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:59:26 AM EST
More details in this story:

http://www.rgj.com/article/20131211/NEWS/312110092/Scene-tells-Lovelock-family-s-story-of-survival-in-Northern-Nevada-cold-watch-video-

Video

Charles Sparke, Pershing County director of emergency management, points in the direction of the mountain range where a family spent two nights after their Jeep, being towed in this photograph, rolled over during an outing. Andy Barron/RGJ

LOVELOCK — In the past 48 hours, news outlets around the nation flocked to Lovelock asking how a group of six people — four under the age of 10 — stayed alive in treacherous terrain and frigid temperatures for two days before their rescue Tuesday.

The artifacts left behind Wednesday — a burned tire, rocks and snow-packed footprints — told the great Nevada survival story. They sat next to the 8-foot-high incline that led to the group’s stranding Sunday in the Seven Troughs Canyon Area after their 2005 Jeep Wrangler drove onto it and flipped.
Pershing County Sheriff Richard Machado called the area remote, treacherous and dangerous. But he confirmed Wednesday that no charges will be filed against the adults: James Glanton, 34, and Christina McIntee, 25, who traveled there Sunday with Glanton’s son Evan, 4, and daughter Chloe, 3, and McIntee’s niece Shelby Fitzpatrick, 10, and nephew Tate, 4
The family has asked for privacy, releasing a statement Wednesday thanking several county, state and federal agencies in the search.
“Our families are asking for privacy as we heal and recover from this ordeal,” the statement said. “We are truly appreciative of the care and love from our community and the nation.”
Media were taken Wednesday to the location 25 miles northwest of Lovelock where the group burned a tire, heated rocks and rationed food to stay alive.
The small canyon houses ghosts of an old mining camp with bedspring wiring, a rusty stove, pipes and what appeared to be steel roofing. A bent piece of steel was used to reflect heat for the fire where the vehicle flipped, said Charles Sparke, Pershing County emergency management director.
Officials say the family was prepared for a day in the snow. Glanton even brought a magnesium fire starter, which can turn wet twigs into ready-to-light kindling, Sparke said Wednesday.
He also had a hacksaw, which he used to cut kindling, and a spare tire to burn.
The Jeep was removed from the scene Wednesday. Inside the vehicle remained an old lighter and burned doors. Officials said Glanton burned rocks and put them inside the Jeep to keep the family warm.
A large valley sits south of the mountains and extends to Lovelock. However, when searchers went into the hills the first full day on Monday, footprints and car tracks weren’t visible from the nearest road leading to their location. That’s because the family entered the mountains from a road to the west and drove through the mountains on a dirt road, Sparke said.

The location is shaded by surrounding cliffs, which made it challenging for aircraft to see the family, Sparke said.
Chris Montes, a hunter and friend of Glanton, saw the tracks from the ridgeline.
“We found the kids’ footprints in the snow on one ridge and followed the tracks,” said Montes of Lovelock, who volunteered to search. “I wasn’t expecting the best. When I came around the corner, I saw the little kids standing there. (Glanton) did one heck of job keeping those kids safe.”
Montes said he traveled 700 miles during the 40-hour search.
State and county response
The family was last seen leaving just before 3 p.m. Sunday. The sheriff’s office was alerted that they had not returned just before 9 p.m. that evening.
“This community is the one that found them,” Machado said. “Everybody in the community put whatever they had (into the search), whether four-wheel truck or food or gas or volunteerism or just getting down on one knee and saying a prayer.”
On Monday night, after a full day of searching, Pershing County asked for state resources from the Nevada Division of Emergency Management.
“They were exhausted,” said Paul Burke, Nevada Division of Emergency Management search and rescue coordinator. “It was much larger (search) than anticipated.”
Burke said state resources are allocated at no charge to the county after a request from the county’s sheriff.
“They don’t have expertise,” said Burke, who surpervised hundreds of searches in Alaska before coming to Nevada in 2008. “They don’t have muscle memory over it. Every time is like doing it for the first time.”
Burke attributed finding the family to proper allocation of resources on the ground and expert management.
He said it’s hard to say if the county could have found the family earlier if they would have asked for state resources from the beginning.
From the beginning, more than 200 Lovelock citizens participated in the search, Machado said.
“It turned out to be a miracle,” Machado said.
“For all intents and purposes, it was a miracle and a day in my life I will never forget.”
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:34:52 AM EST
glad the kids are alive

beyond that, I have no words
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:59:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

View Quote

No kidding... no mention was made if he had taken preps or not... many people just assume not... This guy clearly wasn't an idiot... made a mistake and rolled the jeep? Sure, but there isn't a single person on this forum that can say they won't ever make a similar mistake and end up in a survival situation...

Basing you comments on a 1 page news article is retarded. This guy took hold of the situation and saved the family, that is all that matters. He was able to light a fire, and one hot enough to get a tire going (takes a pretty hot fire to at least get a tire started) so he wasn't completely unprepared like the conclusion that many are basing these comments on...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top