Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 10:46:47 PM EDT
i am laid off of work for a bit, my bar had it's alcohol liscence suspended for 10 days. so i'm trying to get some things done around the apt. and live cheaply while off work. i like to always run a postive cash flow(i have no debt), and try to not spend more then i'm bringing in. it's been a lot harder lately with my hours being cut down to 25 per week, and now off with no pay for 10 days...

today i was going through and rotating some of my food stores after cleaning the bedroom and rearangeing the room and moving the bed frame. the GF just completed her nursing degree and got transferred from evening staffing to night nursing at the hospital. she's not used to night shift and is having trouble sleeping durning the days, so i tin-foil covered the upper 2/3 of the bedroom window and rearranged the room to hopefully darken and cool the room a bit, and allow her some better rest. i ended up smashing my finger a bit in a wrench accident while unscrweing the headboard, i think you can see it in the pic.

after all that i picked out a packet of expired pork flavored ramen and decided to make a past expiration themed dinner and do a little write up. i see and hear a lot of folks claiming ramen will spoil not to long past the printed on exp. date, do to the oils in the noodles going rancid. this sentiment may be truth but has not to date been my expierence. regardless this is what actully inspired me to do this, and that i was hungry, the rest of the expired theme just came to me from there...

anyway, i decided to cook dinner and try to put another nail in food experation date coffin that many regular SF'rs have been constructing. now this is no 50 y/o expired can of chicken, or a 10+ y/o expired can of salmon that's been through a house fire(this one gets my vote for the badass win btw). this is merely my humble contribution until i can find something truely epic to add. i do have approx. 100 packages left out of 5 flats(24 packages per flat) of ramen i bought several years ago, and all are within about three months of the shown exp. date. i'll cook one up every now and then and post up when and if i get to a bad pack. maybe i'll do a package a month or so, that'll get us up to approx 10 years past posted exp. date...

here i am cooking up my almost 100% expired dinner...

*Pork flavored Top Ramen: expired Mar 07, 2007. so you guys have at least 2+ years post exp. date on ramen...

*Sri Ratcha hot sauce: no exp. date, i use this stuff like crack heads use drugs, but i have about 4 bottles of the stuff around the kitchen so there's a good chance that it is.

*Double Yolk egg: a kindly farmer friend gave me a flat of double yolks and a flat of regular eggs during the a super bowl party we both attended: stored in refrigerator, but keep forgetting they're in there and haven't used but about 2/3 of them so far, they're probably expired by now but show no signs of spoiling.

*Apple: came with my lunch this past thursday from a Panera restraunt, just now getting to it. ok this isn't expired apples keep a long time.

*Kool Aid brand Pink Lemonade: no exp. date but it was here when i moved into the apt. must have belonged to one of the former roomates, my GF's sister moved in 5 years ago with roomates and has just passed the apt. along we've just kept renueing the lease. my GF moved in 3 and 1/2 years ago, i moved in officially 1 1/2 years ago when the last roomate moved out and other than the P.O.S. we ended up with for a bit when the GF and i tried to reduce rent by getting a roomate so we weren't paying the full 3 bedroom rent between the two of us(never, i repeat, never look for a roomate by placing an add in the news paper) it's been just my GF and i living here for the last year. so basically i have absolutelly no idea how old this stuff is, but Kool Aid lasts forever though, right? the sugar for the lemonade was in date...

i'll post an AAR if i have anything other than a tasty treat...

K.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Dibs on  guns
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTSS in your bathroom.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
i never have understood the "dibs on guns" GD bullshit reply that for some reason some idiot never fails to post...

i mean, i guess if you don't have a GF, S.O., friends, family, or any one at all whom is close enough to you that you would actully want to pass your stuff on to them, you might assume others are also that lonely.

and i suppose, if you really had no one, you could put your stuff up for grabs to random folks off the internet, who could then call out "dibs" for pecking order on your stuff...

not trying to be a dick, ok well maybe a little, but for some reason(probably having delt with many greedy relatives while taking care of deceased loved ones estates in the past and espicially in light of burrying my grandmother last week) that standard GD reply has always chapped my ass. not sure exactly what it is but "dibs on your stuff" and "anything followed by GTFO" are just fcuking childish and i find them pretty unnessessary. just saying, no need for GD replies here, this is a technical forum...

P.S. if it was all in good fun and you're joking around with a guy, a , ;) , or j/k  is usually a good call in, and espicially outside of GD...

K.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IBTSS in your bathroom.

im assuming that means
In Before The Sh*t Stain
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IBTSS in your bathroom.

oh i absolutelly will post an AAR and a big retraction about not following exp. dates, if i turn into a ginormous humaoid salad shooter... or worse...

K.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBTSS in your bathroom.

oh i absolutelly will post an AAR and a big retraction about not following exp. dates, if i turn into a ginormous humaoid salad shooter... or worse...

K.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]

i have guts like a steam powered trains' boiler though, stuffs gotta be real off, before i have ginormous humaniod salad shooting, shit storm in the bathroom issues...

though i think i just gave myself a mental image i didn't need...

K.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]
well, in that case you probably have som 10 yo peptol bismol laying around somewhere
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seen guys smoke the cigarettes out of K rations.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
well, in that case you probably have som 10 yo peptol bismol laying around somewhere

this good sir, is quite possibly the truth...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this good sir, is quite possibly the truth...

This is why I like the survival forum. We all understand each other.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#12]
have now had bowel movement after "expired" meal... no ill effects(at least none out of the ordinary) were expirenced...

K.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Farm fresh eggs seem to last 10x longer then store bought eggs. Especially if they arent washed.

If I ate what you just did id have blown my ass out 5 times already lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Found(2-3 months ago) a package of Ramen noodles my wife had mis-placed and fell out of rotation, exp. date 11/15/05. Cooked 'em up for science, tasted fine, no ill effects afterwards, YMMV, proceed w/ caution.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#15]
How are you feeling today?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad your meal turned out ok.  I agree that most (especially canned) foods are good WAY beyond expiration.  Ramen is one I have had repeated experience with, and it never fails to turn rancid.  I have been using the ramen in the plastic packs (what you used), perhaps the stuff in the styrofoam cup stores better.  Environment here is very low humidity and the basement temps rarely exceed 70 degrees so my storage should not be an issue.  Thanks for the write up!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Farm fresh eggs seem to last 10x longer then store bought eggs. Especially if they arent washed.

If I ate what you just did id have blown my ass out 5 times already lol

I did just looking at the picture
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Thread still hasn't been updated.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#19]
If it doesn't smell bad, and I can catch it, I'll eat it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#20]
You do understand that there is a difference between "Best by" and "Use by"  dating, right?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thread still hasn't been updated.

yes it has, 6 posts above your last...

Posted: 11/6/2009 2:24:15 AM EDT
have now had bowel movement after "expired" meal... no ill effects(at least none out of the ordinary) were expirenced...

K.

still not dead, meal and outcome afterward were just fine, all was good to go...

K.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad to see your still alive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top