Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2011 6:04:40 PM EDT
We've got an old well with a cedar casing. When we bought the place it was determined that the water wasn't suitable for drinking because of high nitrates and possible ecoli contamination.
In a pinch i.e. SHTF would there be anything we could do to it to make it safe?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We've got an old well with a cedar casing. When we bought the place it was determined that the water wasn't suitable for drinking because of high nitrates and possible ecoli contamination.
In a pinch i.e. SHTF would there be anything we could do to it to make it safe?

RO is your best bet. A cheap RO system can be gotten for <$200.

In a real pinch you could just boil the water to deal with the e coli bacteria and not worry all that much about the nitrates for a short time. in fact, the primary people at risk from nitrates are infants under 6 months of age. most others are not at risk from nitrates.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Does RO remove ecoli?
I've read that boiling will actually make Nitrate levels worse but your correct, it only effects infants and potentially the elderly.
It reduces your blood cells ability to absorb oxygen I believe.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Supposedly they previously bleached the well but the ecoli came back because the wood casing has absorbed it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:26:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top