Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2011 3:09:14 AM EDT
Tried looking for answers in the Survival Gear forum but it seems that it doesn't get any traffic. Here is a consolidation of my posts:

Does anyone have any experience with the Eton Scorpion? I've seen the video reviews on youtube, and read a couple of others, but there are a couple reviews on Amazon that state issues with the units dying and not being useable. I like the idea of a self contained emergency radio, with it's compact size. If not the Scorpion, are any of their other emergency radios with solar cells/hand cranks worth looking at? The Scorpion had issues with charging cell phones from it's external jack, but the Raptor does a better job at this supposedly. The Raptor doesn't have the hand crank ability, and costs considerably more.

Ok, so every radio I can find has one major drawback or another. The C Crane radios aren't water resistant, the Eton radios have battery issues, the Midland Basecamp doesn't work well as a 2-way. So what is the best emergency radio which can pick up local radio as well as weather, preferably with S.A.M.E. technology, which maybe I can get a separate solar charger for batteries for?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:06:18 PM EDT
anyone?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:56:58 PM EDT

Hi,

Sorry, I can't speak to the Scorpion model, but I do have an Eton Solarlink FR600.  I guess it works ok, but I'm not happy with how cheesy the controls feel, and the labeling for the dials is very small and hard to read (at least for my 50+ yr old eyes).  The crank charging assembly seems fairly robust though.  The light on the FR600 is pretty lame, I guess it's better than nothing.  Again, not sure if any of this applies to the Scorpion, but I'm not sure I would recommend the FR600 to a friend.

TriumphRider
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:57:51 PM EDT
Oops, doubletap...
TriumphRider
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:46:18 PM EDT
Quoted:

Hi,

Sorry, I can't speak to the Scorpion model, but I do have an Eton Solarlink FR600.  I guess it works ok, but I'm not happy with how cheesy the controls feel, and the labeling for the dials is very small and hard to read (at least for my 50+ yr old eyes).  The crank charging assembly seems fairly robust though.  The light on the FR600 is pretty lame, I guess it's better than nothing.  Again, not sure if any of this applies to the Scorpion, but I'm not sure I would recommend the FR600 to a friend.

TriumphRider

I appreciate the input, as I was considering the FR600 too. This is turning out to be a fairly disappointing search, since it seems they all have some sort of major flaw in design. I did stumble across the Midland "basecamp" model which also has a 2-way radio built in, and most of the negative reviews state a problem with the 2-way portion, whereas the rest of the controls/features work good.

There's also the C Crane model, but it doesn't have any water resistance, and their model which is able to monitor 2 meter Ham doesn't have a hand-crank, and requires 4 D cell batteries.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:15:35 PM EDT
I just ordered a Scorpion and should get it Friday or Saturday.  I'll give an update after I get my hands on it and can give it a close assessment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:18:14 AM EDT
edit

––Feral
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:27:28 AM EDT
Quoted:
snip

say what? perhaps not so many tabs open at the same time...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top