Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2009 4:39:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2009 5:26:04 PM EDT by DevL]
I decided to do a review of three emergency food rations and three emergency water rations.  The emergency foods were from Mayday, Mainstay, and Datrex.  The water was from Mayday, Datrex, and AquaBlox.  Sorry in advance for the poor picture quality, I am not a photographer, but this was something I did quickly so people who have not tried one or all brands could get an idea of what they are like.   I wanted something that could be used as emergency rations, both food and water, if I was ever stranded outside of cell coverage in an automobile.  All these are Coast Guard approved to last years in temperature extremes and are destined for a life in the trunk of a car.

I wanted to do  all the food souces in 2400 calorie format but the company I ordered these from was out of the 2400 calorie Mainstay.  I opted for the 3600 calorie Mainstay instead which is just a 9 block pack vs a 6 block pack.  The Mainstay was cheaper than the other 2 and the 3600 calorie Mainstay was priced about the same as the 2400 calorie packs from the other two manufacturers.  All the food blocks will run you around $5... not bad considering a 500 calorie Mountain House runs $5-6 when you look at the calories you get.

OK enough of the intro... here is what we are testing... pacakges are together to get a relative size reference.

First on the list is Mayday.  This bar ration is a 2400 calorie ration that has the vitamins and minerals set up for 1 bar that is 400 Calories to give you 100% of several vitamins and minerals.  The nutritional profile is as follows.

Fat 17g
Carbs 55g
Protein 7g

Vitamin A 100%
Vitamin C 100%
Vitamin D 100%
Vitamin E 100%
B Vitamins: Thiamin, Ribofalvin, Niacin, B6, B12, Biotin and Patothenic Acid... all 100%
Iodine, Copper and Zinc all 100%
Iron 4%

This, to me, is a little excessive.  If you ate 2400 calories in a day of these rations youd be at 600% of those vitamins and minerals.

Here is what the package looks like front, rear, side, and in hand.  You may need to scroll over to the right to see the other views.

There is an angular cut out on each side to aid opening.

It opened quite easily and inside we find... a brick of rations.

As you can see the ration block is one peice with no other material in the mylar bag.

The rations come lightly scored to aid you in breaking up the pieces.

However, this does not work out so well and the pieces end up odd sizes and you lose some of the ration because lots of flakes/crumbs break off when it is divided.

If you pull out 2 pieces, or 800 calories worth, you can roll the end of the bag down and store the rest for later.

If you only break off a single 400 calorie serving there is no room to close the packaging,

So its time to taste test...

The Mayday ration is supposed to be flavored with an apple cinnamon flavor.  I found the primary flavor to be a weak, not sugary, sugar cookie.  My GF said it tasted like a Mexican wedding cookie.  I thought it had a mild lemony or fruity flavor that was behind the sugar cookie flavor.  Other people who tasted it thought commented it had a mild apple cinnamon flavor or thought it tasted kind of like a sugar cookie.

It is VERY dry and powdery.  Think compressed chalk dust.  I immediately wanted water as soon as I got a bit of the compressed dust in my mouth.  I found it to be quite filling and not something you'd have to be concerned with eating too much of for pleasure... but it is also not bad tasting at all.  Several people tasted this ration and half of them said this was the best tasting.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 4:40:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/17/2009 5:37:52 PM EDT by DevL]
Next, we will be looking at the Mainstay Ration in 3600 calorie size.

This bar ration is a 3600 calorie ration that has the vitamins and minerals set up for 3 of the 400 calorie bars to give you around 50-200% of several vitamins and minerals. The nutritional profile is as follows.

Fat 23g
Carbs 46g
Protein 3g

Vitamin A 50%
Vitamin C 60%
Vitamin D 50%
Vitamin E 25%
Thiamine 15%
Niacin 30%
Folic Acid 35%
Pantothenic acid 100%
B-6 90%
B-12 20%
Phosphorus 40%
Magnesium 30%
Calcium 50%
Iron 10%

Note the much higher fat and lower protein and carbs?  The extra fat makes the bars not dry, but oily, and they will soaked the white paper I used for a backdrop if left on the paper.

Here are the views... front, back, side, and in hand.

There is a U shaped notch to aid in opening on both sides at the top of the package.

Opening was easy and inside we find the ration bars.

As you can see the ration bars are already cut up and there is no mess removing a 400 calorie bar.

You can also tell it has the same issue... you must remove the entire top row of ration blocks to roll up the remainder.  There is also no additional packaging once again for the ration blocks.

As previously stated the higher oil content makes this the least dry of the bars.  The taste is supposed to be lemon, butter, and vanilla.  To me it had a distinct flavor of Lemon Pledge.  My GF called it "furniture polish tasting" and comments by others included "orange", "lemon", and "Tang" (like the astronauts drank).  I stand firm to Lemon Pledge flavor.  It was ranked as the worst tasting by everyone who tried it.  Feelings ranked from simply "not that good" to "nasty" and noone wanted any seconds.

Now we know why it is the least expensive.

Link Posted: 4/17/2009 4:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/17/2009 7:38:16 PM EDT by DevL]
Finally, we get to the Datrex rations.  These 2400 calorie rations are different than the others in several ways.  First the bars are half sized and 200 calories each.  The other bars use enriched flour, corn syrup, added vitamins, and artificial flavors.  The Datrex bar is just wheat flour, vegetable shortening, cane sugar, water, coconut, and salt.  Pretty simple and natural vs the others.

The nutritional profile is as follows... (per 400 calories or two bars)

Fat 18g
Carbs 54g
Protein 6g

Vitamin A 1%
Vitamin C 1%
Thiamine 8%
Riboflavin 5%
Niacin 4%

As you can see this is not a vitamin pill built into a ration... its not intended to give you any real vitamins or minerals.  The fat content is between the other two and the dryness rates between the other two as well.  It is not oily yet dry like the Mainstay, nor is it AS dry and chalky as the Mayday.

Here are the views of the packaging front, back, side, and in hand.

There is a slit cut into the top center of the package to aid in opening.

Opening was easy and since this was my last ration I expected the same thing... rations loose in the mylar.  Instead I found this.

There are twice as many bars, 200 calories each, and they are laid out so the package is more block-like.  This could be good or bad depending on your needs.

I was supprised to find each bar is individually wrapped with a vacuum sealed platic.

My initial excitement was curtailed by the fact the individual pacaging is kind of a pain in the butt to open.  A knife or careful nipping bits of plastic over and over till you can slide out the bar should be how you access the bar.  Instead I almost destroyed my bar trying to get to the first one.

After this bar I was able to create less of a mess though it is still not easy to get the bar unbroken from the plastic.  I did find that you can easily reclose the pouch after any or none of the bars is removed unlike the other packaging.  Also you can hand out individual bars and the platic WILL hold them together and WILL NOT rip open easily and spill the contents.

As for taste... this was my favorite and the second favorite for everyone who preffered the Mayday rations.  Flavor is supposed to be coconut.  Well I HATE coconut... really I cant stand it, natural or artificial.  I thought this bar had a apple/cinamon/oatmeal type flavor.  Others said it had a mild coconut flavor or could not figure it out.  Its consistancy is like highly compressed toast crust dust.  The variations in color make it look like those sections would be different in flavor or consistancy but it all tastes and feels the same.

I carefully gathered all the crumbs I created getting to my bars and eating the first one.  As you can see the oily, precut Mainstay bars produce very little crumbs or waste.  The Mayday crumbs/waste was primarily from breaking the bar up.  The Datrex was from nearly destroying the bar getting it out of the plastic.

None of these is anything Id want to eat on a regular basis.  In fact to me only the Datrex and Mayday are edible.  Id probably prefer the Mayday if it did not feel like dry compressed chalk dust.  I will take compressed toast crust dust any day over that lol.

None of these gave me any kind of gastrointestinal discomfort.  All were better with water by a mile.  All weigh about a little over a pound (16-18oz) for 2400 calories.  My GF and I have decided to get a few Datrex and Mayday 2400 calorie bars for emergency use... specifically something that can be stable in the trunk and left year round that requires no cooking or preperation.  All units came with a 5 year shelf life and still had well over 4 years of shelf life left by the time I got them.

Here is a final shot of all 3 bars out of the package for comparison.

Link Posted: 4/17/2009 4:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/17/2009 7:18:21 PM EDT by DevL]
I also got 3 water rations to compare.  These were Mayday, Datrex and AquaBlox.

The first obvious difference is that the Mayday and Datrex pouches are 125ml (4.225oz) and come loose.  The Aqua Blox come in a 250ml (8.45oz)juice box style, hermetically sealed box.  The AquaBlox come packaged in sets of 3.  This allows for a slightly slimmer and more tidy storage size.

Comparison pic.

I tried the Datrex water pouch.

It has a small hole punched that is supposed to aid in opening.  I found it a bit difficult to open the water pouch but it didnt take too much effort.  

Once I got it going it tore open neatly.

The water had no bad flavor.  It tasted no different that bottled water that was in a plastic bottle from any genric bottled water company.

I tried the Aqua Blox.  

It, of course, has the little hole for putting the included straw.

Getting to the water was easy as pie.

Taste was once again just fine.  It tasted like generic bottled water in a plastic bottle at room temperature.  Not much else to say other than it was nice to have more water at once, to be able to securely put it down without worrying about leaning a pouch on something, and it was super easy to get to the water.

Finally, we have Mayday.

It has a notch/slit/cut to aid in opening.

While starting the tear was easier than Datrex, once you get to the main water compartment it was kind of a pain to get the plastic to tear and actually get to the water.  It just wants to stretch and not tear.  I had my GF open it without telling her anything and she also commented that it was more difficult to get open vs the others.

We finally opened it so it was time for a drink.

I found the water to have a definant plastic taste.  It was noticable vs the others.  The water was drinkable but not something I would choose to drink if I had a choice.  Her comment was "like drinking out of an old tire" and another comment was "like drinking out of a garden hose left out in the sun" and it was by far the worst tasting.

My final testing was durability.  I was concerned these water storage pouches might not hold up to much pressure or abuse.

You need to keep these away from any kind of sharp object.  Pens to knives to screw drivers will easily puncture any of these.  The only thing they are designed to resist is pressure.  I put lots of holes in all these containers and they wont resist anything sharp at all.

The pouches both stated you should squeeze the bag in your hand, and if air or water escapes, you should discard it.  I figured this means I should be able to squeeze them with one hand and not have an issue.  I proceeded to crush the Datrex and Mayday pouches in my hand with no issues.  No matter how hard I tried to crush them... flat or folded over, I could not make them leak.  When I did this with the Aqua Blox the box unfolded itself and promptly blew open the seal at the bottom of the box completely and a blast of water dumped all 8oz of water out of the box.  This took less than half of my total grip strength.  

Next, I decided to put the pouches, folded over, between my palms and crush them.  Surely they will not see more pressure than this!  The Datrex pouch would not leak.  No matter how I folded it or how hard I tried to crush it it would not pop, leak, or anything.  I was impressed.  

Next I did the same with the Mayday water.  It immediately sprang a leak at its coner and sent a tiny stream of water out the invisible hole at the seam.  If I did not press on the pouch it did not continue to visibly leak.  

Finally, I tried to twist the Datrex pouch while simultaneously crushing and ripping at it to see if it was even humanly possible to destroy the pouch.  That finall did it and it sprang an almost identical leak to the Mayday water pouch... at the corner, through a seam, with a tiny stream of water that would not allow anymore water to escape without pressure.  At least a damaged pouch wont soak your entire pack if you fall on it.

I hope this gives you some insight to the various choices in survival rations and water.  I had always wondered what the differences were but could only find vauge references.

I thought I would prefer a lemon/vanilla flavored survival ration and Aqua Blox for convenience.  Trying these out has allowed me to see those were the WORST choices if I wanted to have something decent tasting and a water container that wont explode if something crushes it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 5:43:40 PM EDT
OST
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 7:36:43 PM EDT
Cool, thanks for the write up and pics!

NN
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 9:09:48 PM EDT
Excellent writeup! Your style kind of reminds me of Old_Painless' firearms reviews. If you send him a link to this thread, maybe he could host this on TBOT or something, he's got a couple of third-party articles on there already.

Cheers,
~BakerMike
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 10:10:32 PM EDT
Anyone ever try the Datrex Blue Ration's?  They are 3600 cal's and listed as being non thirst provoking.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 10:41:04 PM EDT
I think this a great review as well and I concur with you on the Mainstay ration.  I thought it was just awful, as did the rest of my family.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 12:19:49 AM EDT
Thanks for the review DevL! Very informative and helpful. I was going to order some of these rations soon but I couldn't ever figure out how they were that much different. We need more reviews like this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 2:25:41 AM EDT

Good job on the review.

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 4:55:11 AM EDT
Thanks for the review, well done.  What camera did you use and were you on a macro auto setting or manual using a macro lens?  I have issues getting critical focus on shots as close up as this, yours are crystal clear.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:01:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2009 6:14:19 AM EDT by DevL]
Thanks for the positive comments.

Camera was a Canon SD1100IS.  Its a fantastic and easy to use little camera.  Some shots were a regualr auto focus with some zoom and some used the macro.  It has a regular macro setting which allows for a macro flash to keep things from having motion blur and increases speed shutter time. It also has a digital macro for bright light that lets you get even closer... like 1" but I never use that.  Also stores the shots as jpegs so they load straight to your computer and then straight to photobucket with no 3rd part software like my old Kodak with its super difficult to use software.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:37:03 AM EDT
Nice review.

Personally, I have never seen the utility of the little water pouches when you can get bottles of water that take up about the same amount of room and are quite sturdy.

I ate part of an emergency ration many years ago. Don't recall what it was. Was like trying to take a bite off of a rock. Did you have any fear your teeth might break off trying to chew on any of these bars?
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:44:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:15:02 AM EDT
very nice=great review
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:57:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2009 8:59:08 AM EDT by DevL]
Originally Posted By ilbob:
Nice review.

Personally, I have never seen the utility of the little water pouches when you can get bottles of water that take up about the same amount of room and are quite sturdy.

I ate part of an emergency ration many years ago. Don't recall what it was. Was like trying to take a bite off of a rock. Did you have any fear your teeth might break off trying to chew on any of these bars?

Bottled water wont hold up against nasties for long term storage in your trunk for years on end.

No I dont worry about tooth damage at all.  In fact since I have had my Mayday (the hardest and dryest bar) exposed to air and humidty overnight the remainder is a bit less hard and dry than when new.  Honestly it no more dangerous than a Nature Valley granola bar to your teeth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 10:26:19 AM EDT
Very well done and informative write-up!

Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 10:44:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DevL:
Bottled water wont hold up against nasties for long term storage in your trunk for years on end.

What makes you think that? The taste may shift a little, but it is no less sealed to the elements thanb the pouches.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 10:47:18 AM EDT
Just a note about the AquaBlox:

The company that makes them and the AquaLiterz is only a couple hours away from me, and I made the drive down there a few months ago and picked up several cases of the AquaLiterz, one of which lives in the trunk of my wife's car. If you buy them by the case, and keep them in the box, the boxes are much more crush resistant. She's had the case in her trunk (12 1 liter boxes) for six months and none of them have leaked.

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone that's tried the Datrex Blue rations...
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 11:59:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2009 12:41:35 PM EDT by EvilVaquero]
A question......were you able to purchase these "samples" all from one vendor?   I have noticed that on ebay, or various companies, the shipping is outasight.

The write up was excellent!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 12:21:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 3:06:04 PM EDT
Awesome!

You have provided a true service.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:17:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2009 8:55:29 AM EDT by DevL]

What makes you think that? The taste may shift a little, but it is no less sealed to the elements thanb the pouches.

Not only will taste possibly shift but bottled water is not required to be disinfected.  It can and does often contain small amounts of bacteria that are not required to be tested for.  If exposed to temperature extremes it can result in bacterial growth and if repeated exposed to freezing and 120+ degree temperatures the water bottle may not maintain the intergrity of its airtight seal seal.  Here is a little quote I found.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not established a shelf life for bottled water. The general assumption is that bottled water can be used indefinitely if stored properly away from heat, direct sunlight and toxic vapors in a plastic container that does not tend to degrade. However, bottled water that was not disinfected may have some bacteria growth during storage.

I found a study that showed some bottled water companies with bateria found in water that are not required to be tested for.

However, this is all a whole lot of maybe and not really anything conclusive.  After testing the packaging I was thinking the pouches did not make any sense either but thought the AquaBlox would make for convenient aeseptic packaging.   The pouches were strictly for comparison.  With temperature extremes being a possibilty this would have been a great way to ensure I hade pure water in a container that would hold up and was disinfected prior to being put into the container.  Since I found the Aqua Blox to be less that ideal for packaging once you press hard enough to unfold them, I dont think I would mind rotating water bottles on an annual basis if I can make sure they will stay sealed when frozen and exposed to 120-140 degree temps in my trunk.

Time to start some testing by heat cycling some of these water containers and letting them ride in my trunk for a couple months and see if any lose integrity or taste bad.  It is only the heat cycling that worries me... along with the fact I have read bacteria can be found in bottled water and can grow in temperature extremes... my personal feeling is that none of this should be an issue if the bottle holds up to being frozen and heated.

Pacakge integrity and aeseptic procedures are outlined by the US Coast Guard in the following link.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/survivalequip.asp#160.026

I KNOW these wont have an issue.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2009 8:47:45 AM EDT by DevL]
Originally Posted By SoloTwo:
Anyone ever try the Datrex Blue Ration's?  They are 3600 cal's and listed as being non thirst provoking.

The Datrex Blue Ration, to my knowledge, is just like the White ration.  Only they come with more blocks and the packaging is blue.  The white ration (which is identical) is also listed as non thirst provoking.  This is not really true.  Perhaps they dont provoke thirst once swallowed but while it is in your mouth you want water.  It is certainly not as bad as Mayday for making you want water but it is dry food... and that makes you want water to wash it down.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:53:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EvilVaquero:
A question......were you able to purchase these "samples" all from one vendor?   I have noticed that on ebay, or various companies, the shipping is outasight.

The write up was excellent!

Thanks!

I purchased all products from readycareco.com and the sale price of the 3600 calorie Mainstay bar is back to $5 for a 2400 vs for a 3600.  Not that you would want the nasty tasting Mainstay bar anyway.  Shipping was $11 to my address.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 9:50:31 AM EDT
Thank you for that reply....I surely appreciate it.

Happy Trails!
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 12:56:14 PM EDT
I happen to like the flavor of the mainstay bars. They are very lemony, but not terrible in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 5:32:27 PM EDT
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not established a shelf life for bottled water. The general assumption is that bottled water can be used indefinitely if stored properly away from heat, direct sunlight and toxic vapors in a plastic container that does not tend to degrade. However, bottled water that was not disinfected may have some bacteria growth during storage.

I found a study that showed some bottled water companies with bateria found in water that are not required to be tested for.

Time to start some testing by heat cycling some of these water containers and letting them ride in my trunk for a couple months and see if any lose integrity or taste bad.  It is only the heat cycling that worries me... along with the fact I have read bacteria can be found in bottled water and can grow in temperature extremes... my personal feeling is that none of this should be an issue if the bottle holds up to being frozen and heated.

Pacakge integrity and aeseptic procedures are outlined by the US Coast Guard in the following link.

I have a fair amount of experience in the water treatment industry, including making of WFI.

It is true that some bottled water has been tested and found wanting. That is not because bottles are inherently a problem, It is because the manufacturers did not bottle it properly, either because they did not care, or because they screwed up and did not catch it. There is nothing that prevents the maker of pouches of water from screwing up or not caring either.

Take a look at a typical bottle of water at your supermarket next time you go there. Many are made through the reverse osmosis process which removes just about everything from the water, including bacteria and viruses, and a lot of them these days are also UV treated to kill bacteria and viruses.

I am not suggesting I know for a fact that every bottler of water is making a product that is adequate to be stored as long as the pouches are.

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 5:34:17 PM EDT
Great review. I've got some Mainstays laying around, I think I'll try some of the Datrex... Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:52:43 PM EDT
Thanks for such an outstanding write up.  I have all three of these food bars (one of each type).  I got them from different places, but the purpose was to have something quick on hand to get a little bit of energy in a hurry.  I had been meaning to try them out and see what they were like.  Your review took all the guess work out of that.  Excellent post.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 5:21:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2009 5:22:29 AM EDT by tac803]
I just got some Datrex bars in from camping survival (link) http://www.americanmadesurvival.com/ammaemfoba.html  .  The service was great, and the price was good as well.  Got both the white and blue, and the only difference I could find is the calorie content of the packages.  

Good stuff, and a great write up!
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 6:18:24 PM EDT

I have a fair amount of experience in the water treatment industry, including making of WFI.

It is true that some bottled water has been tested and found wanting. That is not because bottles are inherently a problem, It is because the manufacturers did not bottle it properly, either because they did not care, or because they screwed up and did not catch it. There is nothing that prevents the maker of pouches of water from screwing up or not caring either.

Take a look at a typical bottle of water at your supermarket next time you go there. Many are made through the reverse osmosis process which removes just about everything from the water, including bacteria and viruses, and a lot of them these days are also UV treated to kill bacteria and viruses.

I am not suggesting I know for a fact that every bottler of water is making a product that is adequate to be stored as long as the pouches are.

Been freeze cycling some bottled water the past 2 days  The bottles deform and bulge on the bottom when froze and ice goes all thr way to the cap, but the tops have held up so far.  I think they are holding up pretty well each freeze.  Will try this a dozen times and if it does not break the security seal I am happy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 7:03:28 AM EDT
I have tried all of the bars listed as well as the Millennium bars.  The Millennium bars taste the best, by far, but I do not believe they meet the USCGs requirements for rations.  I use the
MayDay bars.  I like the extra Vitamin content in the bars over the competition.  I also keep Mountain House Pro Packs in my bag and plan to use both per day if ever needed. As far as water, I just use bottled water, and rotate it out every year.  I do just crack the top and push out the extra air so it won't burst in the -20F winter weather. No bad nasties as of yet.

FB
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 7:52:39 AM EDT
great write up
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:17:06 PM EDT
ive eaten the datrex rations and i like them as well. however, i prefer the mayday water pouches more because they are in a more foil-like packaging. my gf was coughing like crazy in the car, and i keep mayday water pouches in my kit. we break one open and it was nice and cold because it sat in the car the night before and i thought the water tasted great.

btw, the datrex ration i ate had sat in my car for 3 years. the mayday pouch we drank from had sat in the car for a little over 2 years. both held up great to the elements
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 7:07:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2009 7:11:06 AM EDT by Mannlicher]
I pay a lot more attention to my needs than just throwing something, however good, in the trunk and just forgetting about it.

Your review was well thought out, and well executed.  I am sure that the information will go a long way in helping folks put together a plan that might indeed, save a life in a time of need.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:11:20 PM EDT

Thanks for taking the time and trouble for posting this......Job Well Done!

Although I have never tried any of the "survival" rations, I have tried several of the Millennium bars. They make many different flavors so you can go with what you like (I too have a disdain for anything coconut ). They're not bad, and if one should want to go with bars I'd highly recommend picking some up to try (burp).

Bear
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:37:18 PM EDT
I've tried the SOS bars (link). A Military Surplus store here had some. They taste good, good with coffee, and don't create thirst. They're not just one huge bar, but separate into small meals. I think they work as well as MREs to curb hunger, and take up less room. Those and some Clif bars (link) would work well together, I think.

I do intend to try the brands reviewed.

GL
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:46:35 PM EDT
Outstanding review!  Couldn't have come at a better time, I was just trying to decide which of these to buy for my GHB.  Thanks for the time you put into this...

45JHP
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:46:44 PM EDT
just bought some Datrex water and bars.  Was wanting to get something for the emergency kit in the cars. but didnt hav any info on which to get.

Thanks for the very informative post!

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:24:11 PM EDT
Top Top