Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2018 4:56:48 PM EDT
My Dad's go-to breakfast for camping when I was younger was always Pop-Tarts and Lil' Smokies.

Well, now that I'm older I like a little variety. For awhile I used to get these and take them camping - no refrigeration required and they actually weren't too bad if warmed up first:

But it seems like they've been discontinued as I can't find them anywhere for the past couple of years. (They had an oatmeal one that was also pretty good, but this thread is about eggs....oatmeal is easy enough to make)

So those of you who like eggs when you're camping....what do you use? Is there any product out there like what I used to get? I've tried the Mountain House dehydrated eggs and bacon once - not bad, but twice the cost of these Hormel things. And I know there's at least one kind of "omelet" MRE out there, haven't tried them personally but reviews I've read are....let's say not good. (Have any of y'all consumed an omelet MRE and lived to tell about it?)

Any other products out there I should be looking at along these lines for camp breakfasts? If not, are powdered eggs the way to go, or is there a good way to pack fresh eggs along?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Just crack them open at home, put them in a sealed container store in the cooler. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
get an egg carrier. eggs don't need to be refrigerated, so unless you are going somewhere stupid hot, don't worry about it. fry bacon over the fire. pull bacon. fry eggs in remaining bacon grease. profit
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get an egg carrier. eggs don't need to be refrigerated, so unless you are going somewhere stupid hot, don't worry about it. fry bacon over the fire. pull bacon. fry eggs in remaining bacon grease. profit
View Quote
Correct. I feed 4 guys on hunting weekends with 2 dizen eggs. I just keep them in the meat, butter, cheese, cooler.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
put the eggs in your cooler and just be careful not to break them. Fresh eggs
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
None of the egg alternatives I have used measure up to fresh. All that Mountain House
or similar, is not remotely appetizing., all gross. I would rather go without. Eggs will stay
fresh for a long time if kept at a normal temperature even without refrigeration. Just get
a couple of good crush-resistant egg carriers and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Correct. I feed 4 guys on hunting weekends with 2 dozen eggs.I just keep them in the meat, butter, cheese, cooler.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct. I feed 4 guys on hunting weekends with 2 dozen eggs.I just keep them in the meat, butter, cheese, cooler.
Dude, do the math. That's a measly 6 eggs per guy(?)  

You must entertain some really light-weight chow hounds.

I know at least a half dozen guys who can down almost a dozen eggs each (8-10) at breakfast at our late November deer camp, typically in scrambled or large omelette form.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dude, do the math. That's a measly 6 eggs per guy(?)  

You must entertain some really light-weight chow hounds.

I know at least a half dozen guys who can down almost a dozen eggs each (8-10) at breakfast at our late November deer camp, typically in scrambled or large omelette form.
View Quote
The other 3 guys are hungover every morning, i have to make them eat lol
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]
BYOE
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't remember where I saw it but I just use protein shaker cups with the wire ball in them. Hold about a dozen eggs and you can just shake it up and pour what you need out and cap it back in the cooler. I know some people mix all kinds of other stuff in there too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Bring a chicken camping with you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Amazon Product
  • GREAT FLAVOR - OvaEasy Egg Crystals are made with a revolutionary new technology that keeps the flavor and nutrition of fresh eggs intact. All we do is gently evaporate the water in the eggs... that's it. Egg crystals aren't cooked until you cook them!
  • HEALTHY - With the all-natural, great-tasting OvaEasy Whole Egg crystals, you can whip up an omelet or scramble to start your day off right.
  • CONVENIENT - Just because you're camping doesn't mean you have to forgo good meals. Simply mix with water and cook as you would normally cook eggs.

Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can find farm fresh eggs that haven't been washed they can be stored several days without needing to be in a cooler or chilled. Plastic camp egg carrier is your friend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
If we took a cooler, we usually put the eggs in it and they did fine, but you don't even really need that.

My Dad's first job for the USFS was manning a fire tower in Idaho in the 50's. He spent the entire summer on top of a mountain and the only person he saw was the prospector with a mule train that resupplied him midsummer.
When he was dropped off at the beginning of the summer, they left him a gross of eggs. With no refrigeration, some started to go bad after about 6 weeks. He'd just crack them and if they smelled OK, throw them in the pan. If they didn't smell good, he'd throw them down the hill.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the best breakfasts I ever had was while camping. Put eggs, cheese, and freshly fried up pork rinds all in one pot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Most of the time for breakfasts I make a skillet, Eggs, meat, Instant hash browns. If I'm running light weight (IE canoe trips that involve portaging) I use instant eggs.

If I'm trying to conserve space and keep shit cold in a cooler, (canoeing without portages) I'll pre scramble the eggs and freeze them into a 16 oz plastic milk container and toss it into the cooler.. That way I don't have to worry about them busting, and it helps keep shit cold..

Camping out of my 5th wheel.. I'll crack the shells..

I have yet to have any complaints one way or another..
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll break 3 eggs into a ziploc & add some chopped onion, ham and seasoning.
Or what ever you'd put in an omlet..
Get as much air out as possible and smoosh it all together.
Toss the bag in the coffee water & when the water boils the eggs are done.
One of these for each breakfast with some fried taters toast & coffee.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Never tried that, interesting. ... So maybe a stoopid question, but won't the Ziplock bag disintegrate in the boiling water?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you can find farm fresh eggs that haven't been washed they can be stored several days without needing to be in a cooler or chilled. Plastic camp egg carrier is your friend.
View Quote
Actually weeks if not months.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Never tried that, interesting. ... So maybe a stoopid question, but won't the Ziplock bag disintegrate in the boiling water?
View Quote
My family has done this forever while camping.   They break the eggs into a Ziplock FREEZER bag, add whatever omelet ingredients they want, seal the bag, squish the bag to mix the ingredients, throw the bag into a pot of boiling water, fish it out in a few minutes, and eat it.   They would have five or six different omelettes going in the pot at the same time.   It wasn't often but they would sometimes have one disintegrate i don't know if it was left in the pot too long, got stuck to the side, or if it was a bad bag.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My family has done this forever while camping.   They break the eggs into a Ziplock FREEZER bag, add whatever omelet ingredients they want, seal the bag, squish the bag to mix the ingredients, throw the bag into a pot of boiling water, fish it out in a few minutes, and eat it.   They would have five or six different omelettes going in the pot at the same time.   It wasn't often but they would sometimes have one disintegrate i don't know if it was left in the pot too long, got stuck to the side, or if it was a bad bag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks. Next time I'm up at our cabin, I want to try this method one morning and see what happens. I have the large ZipL. Freezer bags so I know which ones you mean.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I scramble them before I leave the house and pour them into a large mouth bottle. Works fine for me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backpackers use freezer bags for rehrdrating meals all the time.  I wouldn't try it with a sandwich bag, though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I tried the omelette MRE's in the past an survived.  As with other MRE's they're a bit bland, so bring hot sauce or other seasoning.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I tried the omelette MRE's in the past an survived.  As with other MRE's they're a bit bland, so bring hot sauce or other seasoning.
View Quote
As much as I like MRE's, this is one example of when they're not even in the same ballpark as whats been posted above. Just like if Natick tried to preserve bacon in MRE form.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Freezer bag not required.  Regular old sandwich bags work. (Though, I only use Ziploc brand.)

I use them all the time for poaching salmon at home.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I started getting packets like these for hiking.

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!!! "Lock and lock" makes a great egg carrier too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:29:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Hard boiled eggs?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:05:53 AM EDT
[#30]
My kids and I love powdered eggs out camping, but fresh is better
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Fresh in hard egg protector...but also cracked and then
frozen in wide mouth nalgene.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top