Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/31/2010 11:37:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2010 12:33:42 PM EDT by cooper30]
What does everyone think he'll do?

I believe Earl will be a good test of the northeast. I wonder how many people up here have paid attention to the Katrina coverage this week.

Depending on the track, he's either going to slam New England or be way out to sea.

We live about 8 miles from the coast, with Portland in between us and the water. We're staying put, but are as prepared as we can get. Plenty of water, gas (for generator), candles, oil lamps, batteries, non-perishable food, etc. We do have a place 3-4 hours away up in the middle of nowhere by the border, but I believe we are prepared to weather Earl if he does come this way.

A fact of life in my part of the country is sump pumps. Without them, basements will flood in the spring....or during periods of extremely heavy rain. Power outages are frequent, so we run the pump with the generator. It's a fact of life. Other than a tree hitting the house, keeping the sump pump going is our major concern with any severe storm (or extended rain when the snow is melting). We live in a split-level, so the downstairs is finished. There are two bedrooms down there, so we'd like to keep them dry.

We are far back enough to avoid any storm surge (due to topography), but not far enough away to avoid people who will want our generator if there is an extended power outage. We plan on keeping our generator.

We are 1 mile from a major east/west artery out of Portland (biggest city in ME), and there are a lot of people living there who expect to be taken care by the government at all times. Things could get interesting if power is out for more than a couple days, and there is extensive flooding.

If Earl does make it this way, my wife will be doing most of the work since I had three vertebra fused two weeks ago. My current restrictions say to lift no more than a gallon...although I have my follow up appt tomorrow and will probably be allowed to lift more. Still, I can't even drive, so the majority of the last-minute things (like filling all vehicles, etc) are falling on her.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:44:37 AM EDT
I'm supposed to head up there Thursday for a wedding on Sunday in Mass. I hope it heads out to sea.

Interested in anyones experiences with airlines/rental cars/hotels in this kind of situation. Supposed to be flying out of Boston early morning on Monday.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:09:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cooper30:
What does everyone thing he'll do?

my sister and her family are in the Boston area... so it'll probably head straight for them!

she's started some storm preps, but knowing them, nothing serious.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:14:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JBFJ40:
I'm supposed to head up there Thursday for a wedding on Sunday in Mass. I hope it heads out to sea.

Interested in anyone's experiences with airlines/rental cars/hotels in this kind of situation. Supposed to be flying out of Boston early morning on Monday.

rentals will be difficult to get they go pretty quickly even under normal circumstances.

The hotel shouldn't be an issue if you are already there.

frankly if i were you i'd watch it close and think about not going if its bad

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:15:19 PM EDT
OP,

Good luck with Earl, sounds like you are prepared but you have significant risk if you stay compounded with the back.

Be safe, don't risk further injury to the back.....

Yes, I injured my back once before - lets hope never again.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:41:13 PM EDT
When I saw the thread title, I thought you were talking about Earl from My Name is Earl. I recently started watching the show and really like it. Not much survival value, but pretty good entertainment.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:49:49 PM EDT
I think the North East has forgotten what can happen and I see new developments going in along streems and rivers where I know I would never live for fear of flooding. Hopefully it will stay off the coast as nobody wants to see a PITA situation but I am prepared as I can be... food, generator, gassoline, water, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:22:44 PM EDT
Dover NH here-I'm keeping a close eye on weather reports.

Cooper, a while back I met a couple of local ARFcommers, and we have an informal "mutual aid agreement" to help each other out. Put simply, if they need help during an emergency I will do whatever I can to get them that help-and they'll do the same thing for me. During the last couple of storms/power outages we frequently checked in with each other via phone, e-mail, and later ham radio to make sure everyone was okay. If your support system or equipment is lacking, it might be a good idea for you and I to exchange contact information if this storm decides to spank us. If needed, I will gladly assist you and your loved ones any way that I can.

If needed, I can help with the following:
-Backup power (generators, inverters, deep cycle batteries, and plenty of extension cords/wiring)
-Gasoline
-Liquid paraffin for oil lamps
-Chainsaw mix
-Food and water
-Water purification
-Backup heat
-Flashlights, lanterns, oil lamps, industrial area lighting
-Batteries (AA, AAA, 123, D, C, 6v, 9v and several specialty button cell types)
-Battery chargers

-Portable power tools of all types (corded and cordless)
-Air compressors
-Air tools, including framing nailers and impact wrenches
-Chain saws
-MIG welder
-Fasteners of all types including Tapcons and other concrete anchors
-Portable pumps (electric and gas powered)
-Rope and other cordage, padlocks, chains

-Backup communications, including short range comms and long range amateur radio equipment

Portland is less than an hour away from Dover, so we are well within range of each other is needed. Are you a ham radio operator? My base radio at home shouldn't have any trouble reaching you.

Anywho, I just wanted to check in to let you know that you aren't alone if you need help. I have significant resources available in case of emergency, and I'm not afraid to share

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:42:04 PM EDT
I filled a couple 5 gal. gas cans today, filled both rides and bought a couple extra gallons of milk. Went to Costco and bought a few things as extras. Some blue tarps and an extra pack of duct tape.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:48:53 AM EDT
Thanks CJan_NH.

No ham radio here, but I'll send you a private message w/some contact info.

I think we're pretty well prepared. We did some stuff last night, and will finish up this evening.

My initial thoughts are that it will stay far enough out to sea that things won't get too bad. That system coming from the west looks like it will get here in time to keep it east of us. If the worst does happen though, we are ready. Even though I'm recovering from back surgery, I have two stepsons...17 and 18...who are here to do any heavy lifting, etc.

We can run the well pump off the generator, we have an above ground pool we can get water from for hygiene, and if we use up all the extra gas in cans, my plow truck is sitting with a full tank.

Good luck to all of you living one the coast of SC/NC/VA.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:16:02 AM EDT
Things here, just north of Portland, and ready as always. I'll keep everyone updated on our status, but hopefully the storm just goes out to sea.

...and yes, my ham radio is working fine :)
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:14:38 AM EDT
You know your a survivalist when you see a hurricane approaching and can only think " What a great opportunity to test the preps!"

Stay dry out there, hopefully it will be more hype then anything.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:09:35 AM EDT
Outer Banks(Nc) went into evac notice this morning and where i live is now under hurricane watch. we are expecting at least rain and tropical force winds. of course things will change over the next 24-36 hours. stowing outside items at my house tonight and moms tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:16:38 AM EDT
Got your IM Cooper, and I sent you my contact info as well.

MaineAR, about to shoot you an IM as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:23:36 AM EDT
Nc has gone from hurricane watch to warning and the watch has been extended from the Va/Md state line to the De/Nj state line.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:47:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mylt1:
Nc has gone from hurricane watch to warning and the watch has been extended from the Va/Md state line to the De/Nj state line.

Stay safe brother, and please keep us posted.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:31:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2010 10:39:37 AM EDT by Kar15]
i have a buddy whom lives in nags head currently...

fairly typical guy. he is a gun owner, and and possibly owns at any given time more beers than bulliets. i've preached and preached prepparedness to him. i thought i'd made a bit of progress... i'm really hoping he's actully better off than this. i'm pretty sure it is but am really hoping this is indeed just a joke, but here is what he posted on facebook as his hurricane preparedness kit... part of me is like and a bigger part of me is like ...

NOW TAKING ORDERS FOR THE XXXXX XXXXXXX SIGNATURE,HURRICANE EARL SUVIVAL KIT.ONLY 29.99 PLUS SHIPPING AND HANDLING!!!!!!(9MM NOT INCUDED)

what a retard...

K.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:31:36 AM EDT
My parents just moved from NJ to the coast of N.C. They are bulding a home and while it's being built they are living in a rental house. I called them last night to ask what kind of preps they had. They donated a ton of food when they moved and haven't built up much of a panty yet. They don't have a generator (but did talk to their contractor about having a transfer switch installed on the new house - won't do them good now though.)

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:32:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
Got your IM Cooper, and I sent you my contact info as well.

MaineAR, about to shoot you an IM as well.

Got your IM and sent you one back. We are keeping a close eye on things as always. All systems here have been checked and are in working order. I'll keep everyone posted with our status if things get ugly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:40:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kar15:
i have a buddy whom lives in nags head currently...

fairly typical guy. he is a gun owner, and and possibly owns at any given time more beers than bulliets. i've preached and preached prepparedness to him. i thought i'd made a bit of progress... i'm really hoping he's actully better off than this. i'm pretty sure it is but am really hoping this is indeed just a joke, but here is what he posted on facebook as his hurricane preparedness kit... part of me is like and a bigger part of me is like ...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs425.snc4/46807_1435988857432_1164270587_31020702_1392959_n.jpg
NOW TAKING ORDERS FOR THE XXXXX XXXXXXX SIGNATURE,HURRICANE EARL SUVIVAL KIT.ONLY 29.99 PLUS SHIPPING AND HANDLING!!!!!!(9MM NOT INCUDED)

what a retard...

K.

I dont know why you think your buddy is retarded, looks like he is ready to hunker down for a week just fine.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:46:55 PM EDT
Used to live in the Outer Banks years ago, hope everybody stays safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:54:59 PM EDT
my area has been upgraded to tropical storm warning and hurricane watch. we are expecting TS force winds with light rain. the fire house i work at is right on the atlantic(well, about 75 yards away. LOL) so friday is going to be interesting. gotta pack my bag just in case i have to stay overnight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:05:22 PM EDT

Milton NH here.

-Backup power (generator and plenty of extension cords/wiring) check
-Gasoline check
-Liquid paraffin for oil lamps check
-Chainsaw mix check
-Food and water check
-Water purification check
-Backup heat check
-Flashlights, lanterns, oil lamps, industrial area lighting check
-Batteries (AA, AAA, 123, D, C, 6v, 9v and several specialty button cell types) check
-Battery chargers check
-Portable power tools of all types (corded and cordless) check
-Air compressors check
-Chain saws check
-Fasteners of all types including Tapcons and other concrete anchors check
-Portable pumps (electric and gas powered) check
-Rope and other cordage, padlocks, chains check

-Backup communications, including short range comms and long range amateur radio equipment Not So Checked
-MIG welder Not So Checked
-Backup power (inverters, deep cycle batteries) Not So Checked
-Air tools, including framing nailers and impact wrenches Not So Checked

I think I should be good for at least a couple of weeks. If it gets real bad, It's more of an issue with my parents who live in MY basement and are both 80+. But I'm better off now than I was a year ago before I moved up here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:44:11 PM EDT
To the OP, stock up on one or more big coolers (like the Igloo Maxcold 152 quart kind) and a lot of ice. When Hurricane Ike hit Houston in 2008, we were without power for 14 days. Everyone else on my street ran out of ice within a day or so. I had ice the entire time by using my Igloo coolers and restocking when ice became available.

Make a trip to Sam's Club or Costco and stock up on paper towels, paper plates and cups, plastic bags and the like. Hit the grocery store and get some steaks, hot dogs, Polish sausage, pasta and the like. Eat the most perishable food first. After 2 days following Hurricane Ike, restaurants starting opening up again with just generator power. Everyone was doing carryout, that never tasted so good.

Make sure you have plenty of water. Fill up as many cans as you have. The water supply may get polluted and you might have to boil tap water to drink it. Not a fun thing to do.

Hit Walmart or a sporting goods store and get a Coleman propane camping stove and some 1 lb. propane canisters. If you have a gas grill, make sure your propane tank is full and perhaps buy a spare just in case.

If it is still hot in your AO, get some battery powered fans to stay cool. Walmart has these in the camping department. Also, get a portable window air conditioner. I got one at Sam's Club for $170 last summer, and used it for 2 days last month when my central AC unit was on the fritz.

Above all, stay safe and God's Speed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:01:09 PM EDT
I'm on an email distribution list at work run by a guy at our airport because I'm part of the disaster/evac planning team. He watches bad weather globally and sends out alerts. While as of this afternoon the tracks varied from a east coast side-swipe to a complete turn out to sea, he had the following to say in an email titled "just a guess":

I have been staring at this satellite picture for a while. Take a look:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-vis.html

Click on the LatLon button at the top and the watch the screen.

Here is what I see.

Notice EARL making a straight line (put edge of ruler or paper at the bottom of the EYE and observe).
Notice the front from Lake Michigan to Oklahoma.
Notice how the front that was supposed to be turning EARL is giving way around Southern IL, MO and AR

Here is what I DO NOT SEE

Earl is not turning and starting to run out of time to clear North Carolina - next few HOURS CRITICAL if you have NORTH CAROLINA INTERESTS

WATCH THIS STORM TONIGHT
IT NEEDS TO CLEAR 30N BEFORE IT GETS TO 75W or there is a real chance of A DIRECT HIT.

if this heads to NC, water is hot and winds are light - there is one computer model calling for LEVEL 4

This was at 4:40p today. Then this at 5:15p:

1.THIS IS THE 0500P LINE
2.DO NOT HAVE THE NEW MODELS - WON'T LIKELY UNTIL 8P
3.THIS LINE CALLS FOR HARD TURN AND SLOW MOTION

IT IS DOING NEITHER AT THIS POINT!!!!!!!!!! (danger Will Robinson, danger)

Sorry I can't embed the numerous pics he had. Be safe everybody, this could be nasty.

YMMV,
-Slice

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:06:31 PM EDT
fare well
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:14:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HomeSlice:
I'm on an email distribution list at work run by a guy at our airport because I'm part of the disaster/evac planning team. He watches bad weather globally and sends out alerts. While as of this afternoon the tracks varied from a east coast side-swipe to a complete turn out to sea, he had the following to say in an email titled "just a guess":

I have been staring at this satellite picture for a while. Take a look:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-vis.html

Click on the LatLon button at the top and the watch the screen.

Here is what I see.

Notice EARL making a straight line (put edge of ruler or paper at the bottom of the EYE and observe).
Notice the front from Lake Michigan to Oklahoma.
Notice how the front that was supposed to be turning EARL is giving way around Southern IL, MO and AR

Here is what I DO NOT SEE

Earl is not turning and starting to run out of time to clear North Carolina - next few HOURS CRITICAL if you have NORTH CAROLINA INTERESTS

WATCH THIS STORM TONIGHT
IT NEEDS TO CLEAR 30N BEFORE IT GETS TO 75W or there is a real chance of A DIRECT HIT.

if this heads to NC, water is hot and winds are light - there is one computer model calling for LEVEL 4

This was at 4:40p today. Then this at 5:15p:

1.THIS IS THE 0500P LINE
2.DO NOT HAVE THE NEW MODELS - WON'T LIKELY UNTIL 8P
3.THIS LINE CALLS FOR HARD TURN AND SLOW MOTION

IT IS DOING NEITHER AT THIS POINT!!!!!!!!!! (danger Will Robinson, danger)

Sorry I can't embed the numerous pics he had. Be safe everybody, this could be nasty.

YMMV,
-Slice

its already a cat4. it was upgraded at wither 1400 or 1700 this afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:36:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2010 8:41:49 PM EDT by HomeSlice]
Right, but I think he meant at landfall. If I could post the forecast pics you would see that, at least from the data I saw, it pretty quickly drops back off in intensity as it makes the turn. Regardless, stay safe...

-Slice

ETA: Here's an attempt to link in one of the pics

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:00:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2010 1:07:48 AM EDT by kaos]
MSNBC hurricane tracker.

I don't watch the channel, but I don't mind watching the dynamic hurricane tracker maps they post online.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:19:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TomHighway:
To the OP, stock up on one or more big coolers (like the Igloo Maxcold 152 quart kind) and a lot of ice. When Hurricane Ike hit Houston in 2008, we were without power for 14 days. Everyone else on my street ran out of ice within a day or so. I had ice the entire time by using my Igloo coolers and restocking when ice became available.

Make a trip to Sam's Club or Costco and stock up on paper towels, paper plates and cups, plastic bags and the like. Hit the grocery store and get some steaks, hot dogs, Polish sausage, pasta and the like. Eat the most perishable food first. After 2 days following Hurricane Ike, restaurants starting opening up again with just generator power. Everyone was doing carryout, that never tasted so good.

Make sure you have plenty of water. Fill up as many cans as you have. The water supply may get polluted and you might have to boil tap water to drink it. Not a fun thing to do.

Hit Walmart or a sporting goods store and get a Coleman propane camping stove and some 1 lb. propane canisters. If you have a gas grill, make sure your propane tank is full and perhaps buy a spare just in case.

If it is still hot in your AO, get some battery powered fans to stay cool. Walmart has these in the camping department. Also, get a portable window air conditioner. I got one at Sam's Club for $170 last summer, and used it for 2 days last month when my central AC unit was on the fritz.

Above all, stay safe and God's Speed.

You can get a LOT of extra time - days worth - if you fill a cooler with regular ice, then put a pound or two of dry ice on top of it. The dry ice will keep the water ice frozen.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:33:28 AM EDT
I am directly in the path along the coast and am getting ready. I already have most things covered as long as the genny or the gas cans don't get squashed by a tree and the house stays intact. I am packing the car in case we bug out.

Best of luck to all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:44:38 AM EDT
A lot of you guys are forgetting one thing (might only apply to some of you). Extra supply of your medications. If a hurricane hits, the pharmacy may no longer exist or their supply of meds may be damaged or compromised. Check your news or local media. If you're in a proposed disaster area (especially NC), you usually can get early refills of you meds before the event without getting rejected at the pharmacy for trying to refill too early. Might want to consider this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:52:55 AM EDT
Good advice.

I actually talked to my doc yesterday and got a pain-killer refill early in case it gets bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:06:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:20:18 AM EDT
So, no After Action Reports?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:04:50 AM EDT
Earl was a no-show here.

All that happened was we got some much needed rain, and the 90o heat is gone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:07:49 AM EDT
Like many men, Earl failed to deliver....

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:51:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:
So, no After Action Reports?

we got a little bit of rain and a little wind. not much to report. we have had worse nor'easters.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:53:38 AM EDT
Hurricane report:

I had my fingers crossed that we would have an easy time of it, and thankfully we did. By the time it got to my area in Maine we had some wind and rain for about 8 hours. Really nothing more than a normal storm. I can't speak for other areas in the state. It really is a nice feeling to know that even with a modest amount of preps things like this are just much easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:22:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mach:
I am directly in the path along the coast and am getting ready. I already have most things covered as long as the genny or the gas cans don't get squashed by a tree and the house stays intact. I am packing the car in case we bug out.

Best of luck to all.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:25:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By neilfj:

Milton NH here.

-Backup power (generator and plenty of extension cords/wiring) check
-Gasoline check
-Liquid paraffin for oil lamps check
-Chainsaw mix check
-Food and water check
-Water purification check
-Backup heat check
-Flashlights, lanterns, oil lamps, industrial area lighting check
-Batteries (AA, AAA, 123, D, C, 6v, 9v and several specialty button cell types) check
-Battery chargers check
-Portable power tools of all types (corded and cordless) check
-Air compressors check
-Chain saws check
-Fasteners of all types including Tapcons and other concrete anchors check
-Portable pumps (electric and gas powered) check
-Rope and other cordage, padlocks, chains check

-Backup communications, including short range comms and long range amateur radio equipment Not So Checked
-MIG welder Not So Checked
-Backup power (inverters, deep cycle batteries) Not So Checked
-Air tools, including framing nailers and impact wrenches Not So Checked

I think I should be good for at least a couple of weeks. If it gets real bad, It's more of an issue with my parents who live in MY basement and are both 80+. But I'm better off now than I was a year ago before I moved up here.

Local damage? surf
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:32:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Surf:
Originally Posted By Mach:

Best of luck to all.

Good luck.

No damage. It took a turn further east than expected.

It looked like a no show so I went to work and left the family to hold the AOR without me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:10:19 PM EDT
Interesting observation –– tomorrow morning, Tropical Storm Earl will make landfall in Quebec.

Tropical Storm in Quebec hurts my brain
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:14:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 6:14:53 PM EDT by JoeyB19D]
I usually have to buy slowly but the wife let me pick up alot of stuff I've been wanting. She says I'm crazy untill the possibility arises that we might need it. Good for me I got alot of water rice and canned goods out of it
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 6:36:41 PM EDT by neilfj]
Local damage? surf

Well, we saw a leaf or two that blew in the breeze. One leaf actually fell off a nearby tree and landed in the pool, but it failed to contaminate the 25,000 gallons of drinking water.

Then I went to Walmart.

The End.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:17:57 PM EDT
Non-event here. I was on standby at work in the event that the office had to be switched over to backup power, or a router or webserver went down. I had a few of my techs with me, and they were pretty stoked to be earning time and a half to play video games. I let them take a spare webserver and turn it into a game server, so we played Unreal, Quake, and Halo for the duration of the shift.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:05:05 AM EDT
Non-event here. I was on standby at work in the event that the office had to be switched over to backup power, or a router or webserver went down. I had a few of my techs with me, and they were pretty stoked to be earning time and a half to play video games. I let them take a spare webserver and turn it into a game server, so we played Unreal, Quake, and Halo for the duration of the shift.

You could have ran "active shooter drills" using airsoft guns instead.

Spouse reported after work no damage. I keep hoping that these "practice runs" do not turn into a "crying wolf" type of thing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:29:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:
Like many men, Earl failed to deliver....

While that's cold, I can't argue.
I've got friends, I've seen it happen on occasion.
To OTHER people.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:23:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 7:23:45 AM EDT by CJan_NH]

You could have ran "active shooter drills" using airsoft guns instead.

Spouse reported after work no damage. I keep hoping that these "practice runs" do not turn into a "crying wolf" type of thing.

You know Surf, that's a damned good idea!

You've seen the inside of my office-it would be *perfect* for that sort of thing

My wife was giving me grief that I missed my chance to save the world by breaking into the stash of Spaghetti-Os, tuna, and Beef Ravioli...

I'm glad Mrs Surf made it through okay Julie and I were ready to go over to help if she needed anything while you were out of town.
Top Top