Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 1/7/2012 8:12:16 PM EDT
What items would you put in an E&E pouch?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:12:16 PM EDT
Handcuff key.

DB
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:29:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:31:13 PM EDT
Depends on what you're E&E-ing from. I used to build small, pocket "survival" kits that included a number of items most people considered essential for staying alive in a "lost in the wilderness" situation. They were a lot like some of the commercially available kits but build with better components. I sold a few to friends but it's just not possible for a guy like me to make the economics work for the quality of gear I wanted to include. Realistically, though, they are pretty useless for most situations I would expect to find myself in if it were a non-SHTF scenario, which is what most of us are likely to encounter. Some of the basics are universal but I think a realistic E&E kit looks more like a GHB. These are some of the items I have in my GHB that I consider to be the foundation of what I'd want to have on me if I were suddenly on the run:

- Some sort of fire starter and tinder.
- Water purification
- Compass and maps
- A good fixed bladed knife (impossible to include in a pocket kit - maybe it can be assumed you already have a good knife as part of your EDC)
- Cash. Small denominations that equal at least $100, preferably more.
- Headlamp AND a quality flashlight. Plus extra batteries.
- Signalling mirror.
- Emergency whistle.
- OTC meds –– tylenol, ibuprophen, Goody's headache powder (also has caffeine in it), benedryl, imodium.
- USB thumb drive digital copies of important documents –– driver's license, SS card, medical insurance, birth certificate, banking info. Encrypt drive to ensure only you have access.

Of course, none of this includes food or shelter. Adding those items and any sort of weather appropriate clothing (including footwear) definitely turns this list into a GHB.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 2:54:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2012 3:12:17 AM EDT by ROCK6]
Here are a couple of kits I have with me in Afghanistan. It really depends on your environment, season, water sources, urban/rural and what type of situations you are planning for (i.e. worst case traveling home on foot 20 miles through rural areas).

Of course, what goes in your kit should take into consideration what you EDC…my current EDC:

If you’re EDC is minimal then you need to consider additions such as a good knife, compass, etc.

For more serious E&E, you could have a slightly larger kit with shelter, a much better water container, poncho liner, etc. However, the basic concept is a small enough kit that can sustain you long enough to get from point A to B or to a safer area.

ROCK6
Top Top