Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2014 10:17:49 PM EDT
K4II club EmComm Trailer Project:
6x12 Vee Trailer-single axle.
Local Camper Dealer installed rooftop HVAC and 120v panel with shore connection
SCW installed Ceiling insulation and covering, lighting, antennas, counters, etc...

parked at K4XP's QTH for some 12v and antenna work

while nice looking and short to prevent tearing off under low limbs-the 1/4 antenna didn't get below 3.1 on the analyzer.  4 NMO mounts on the rig, 3 set-up for VHF/UHF the other utilizes a 3/8x24 NMO adapter for a HF Whip install
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]

just before finishing the trim on the counters....looking in from side door

here is a shot of the NMO Mounts on the "ladder rack"
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]

view from rear door, needs floor paint, trim paint, shelving unit on far right wall installed for storage.  Pictured with Lowes Merch to be returned in floor
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Set the trailer up yesterday for County Emer Prep Expo

Secondary OP station, Kenwood TM-V7a (no bad screen-yet)

Primary OP, IC-746Pro

Backdoor looking in

I am not a fan of how the trailer was 'lettered'...that was completed before placing in my care-I hope it will be redone?

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
A guy down the road from me has an old military ambulance just sitting there doing nothing.  

If I see a "For Sale" sign on it I think I'm going to need a divorce attorney.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Astron linear supply!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Good goggly moggly!

Is that your personal Ecomm box trailer?!

I think my penile envy, Ecomm box one-up-manship, just got crushed!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]
That is a little fancier than my "emmcom box".

Another arfcommer on the radio in my box.

Pictures from 2010 Drummond Island VHF contest DXpedition.  We have the award for first place portable in Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
no, it belongs to the local club.  
I was asked to upfit it for an EMCOMM situ...It's currently over an Elmers house getting some 12v and antenna termination work completed (I didn't have time to get to it today).  
There is some sort of EMER public event tomorrow in town and they were pressing to have it ready by then.  
I'd consider it 7/8's complete.
I'm looking forward to finishing-it's my LAST volunteer job---ever!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#9]
added some pics from yesterdays deployment for County Emer Prep Expo...back later with some words to make pics make sense...
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no, it belongs to the local club.  
I was asked to upfit it for an EMCOMM situ...It's currently over an Elmers house getting some 12v and antenna termination work completed (I didn't have time to get to it today).  
There is some sort of EMER public event tomorrow in town and they were pressing to have it ready by then.  
I'd consider it 7/8's complete.
I'm looking forward to finishing-it's my LAST volunteer job---ever!
View Quote

That is some SERIOUSLY nice work, sir.  Add a hot tub and I think you've got it all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Add a hot tub and I think you've got it all.
View Quote

If the hams in your club look anything like the hams in my club, this is ill advised....
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If the hams in your club look anything like the hams in my club, this is ill advised....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Add a hot tub and I think you've got it all.

I Googled "hot female ham operators" to refute your observation.

I hereby retract my suggestion.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I Googled "hot female ham operators" to refute your observation.

I hereby retract my suggestion.

View Quote

Well, there are a few.  But they are high maintenance!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OidowSpbxJo [/youtube]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice job!

Cale, if that guy down the hill sells his ambulance to me I'm flying you over to help set it up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice job!

Cale, if that guy down the hill sells his ambulance to me I'm flying The 7 of you over to help set it up.
View Quote

FIFY

thanks y'all!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Looking good.

Needs a roof-mounted Aluma Tower.

I'd probably swap the shelves out for cabinets.

Re: the ambulance, talke to BlammO. He had a hambulance in CT.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looking good.

Needs a roof-mounted Aluma Tower.

I'd probably swap the shelves out for cabinets.

Re: the ambulance, talke to BlammO. He had a hambulance in CT.
View Quote

that was initial wish....budget crushed those hopes  
I call this phase 1....they are already wanting to make some move/add/changes...that will be phase 2 and I have already removed myself from the potential list of 'contractors'
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Our club is looking to do the same with a trailer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Our club is looking to do the same with a trailer.
View Quote

I wasn't involved with initial trailer purchase either (or adding roof racks that sit too close to roof).  

Here are some things I'd consider if I had the opportunity to purchase my own for this type of duty:

1.  Taller Roof and Larger Front Door.
2.  Screen Door in addition to exterior door.
3.  Dual-axle
4.  Square nose vs Vee for ease of adding cabinets, items on tongue, etc...
5.  Wider Body
6.  Step coming out of Front Door
7.  Windows!!!
8.  Placement of any roof racks to help with Equip Tubes
9.  Factory Installed HVAC/120vAC
10. 16' if I could swing it

One could prolly skip a great deal of the above list by purchasing a used travel trailer and working out from there.
A small motor-home would suffice as well.  I'm not saying the amount of work to convert wouldn't be there, but it is a space that humans intend to occupy-a bare cargo trailer isn't manufactured for that purpose...
An Ambulance would be swell too-or even a Bread Truck....

ETA: YMMV!
ETA2: I am not sure what the actual trailer cost, but I've spent almost $3500 of the clubs money to get it to this point (all that you can and can't see) and that includes my pay of $0.00  That's why I think an RV of some sort may be a "better" idea...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you work with local emergency management? You might be able to get money through a UASI grant. That's what paid for the 24' trailer that was purchased for our ARES group. Of course it was a gov project with limited input from the people that actually knew what was needed but I guess it's the thought that counts. Some things were done according to our input (I spoke directly with Haulmark and went to the factory as it was being built to work out reinforcing the roof for the tower for example). Other things were either dropped or missed (nobody thought to buy a generator to power it).

I haven't been involved with the group for a couple of years, though, so I have no idea what the status of it is. Just a thought that might help the club keep its money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I mentioned that a few times.  More than a few times actually, and the same reply each time was "we don't want to be beholden to anyone"....the club is ARRL affiliated but that is where it stops (no ARES/RACES/County/etc...)
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Gotcha. I can certainly understand that.

Part of the grant was used to purchase 4 TS-2000s. Keep in mind we seldom, if ever, have the need for HF and if we do it's handled at the EOC. When they first arrived from HRO we took custody and did a quarterly inventory to say we still had them. The City decided that they needed to stay at the EOC so instead of getting any use out of them they've been locked in a cabinet for 2-3 years. Our tax dollars at work.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, I think that was part of the rub and reason to keep all the funding in house.  

Originally the trailer was purchased to give the club a place to store it's gear after the Red Cross sold out it's location to a Check Cashing Venue (we were homeless).  Someone then recommended that the Club build the trailer into a Portable Operating Station and Gear Closet...hence me.....I've got to paint the floor and ramp (non skid paint) and install the shelf/rack then I'm complete.

next Op will be the local JOTA
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Very neat!!  Thanks for the link in my thread.  Great seeing the different ideas that people have!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks Good

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#27]
If only I had the funding/space/time/knowledge...

Bill
Or hit the lottery which would resolve all of the above.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#28]
if it were me....and if I ever get to do this for myself......I'm buying a nice used 23'+ travel trailer or little motorhome...they are actually meant to be inhabited by humans. FWIW YMMV

This is the last time I ever volunteer. period.

covered the ends with the leftover ceiling material

took up one of my Hog Panels and made 'doors'....now club owes me one of those too!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#29]
if you need moar details or specific pics, please post the specific request RFN.  I hope to have this thing outta my yard in just a few days!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#30]
forgot to say, thanks guys

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top