Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2012 12:10:43 PM EDT
***This is a revised and updated thread to the last one I've posted about my Ammo Can setup.  

In the past, I consolidated all of my items into one large box (SKU 19” Shelf Rack 5u).  The problem with that was weight, bulk, wasn’t waterproof, and it was awkward to carry.  So I rethought that idea and came up with the perfect solution…  Ammo Cans: they are durable, waterproof (check the seal first) and modular.  I can take what I want and go with It.  

Doing a quick Google search to make sure there was no other name associated with this, I came up with:

EMACS = Emcomm Modular Ammo Can System

I've broken down each ammo can into several categories:
RADIO
POWER SUPPLY
POWER (aka BATTERY)
DIGITAL
HF ANTENNA

EMACS: RADIO
•FT-857D (w/ TCXO, 300CW, and SSB Filters installed)
•50w Slim Jim antenna w/ 16’ of coax, hook attachment for hanging
•10w extendable antenna (if there is nothing to hang the slim jim on)
•TinyTrak 3 (setup for HF APRS, emergency only)
•50amp Noise Filter (for use in the car)
•Whiterook Key (paddle/straight) with neodymium magnets
•Writing Pad and space pen
•Miniature Leatherman tool attached to the lid with neodymium magnets
•Battery cables w/ powerpoles
•Extension cable w/ powerpoles
•PS4 Powerpole splitter (4-way)
•Radio manual cheat-sheet
•Small red LED lights w/ powerpoles, attached to neodymium magnets
•Frequency cutouts (laminated and Velcro’d to the lid.  
•Longer 6-wire cord so I can detach the lid and move the lid w/ head unit elsewhere.

Here’s the build (old pics with new pics):

Everything packed away neatly

For a mobile setup, place in trunk, take lid off and bring the faceplate into the car.

EMACS: POWER SUPPLY
•Battery Tender 1.5 amps
•30amp Power Supply
•120V DPDT switch
•4x 40mm cooling fans
•Volt and Amp Analog Meters
•Eyebolts (to easily pull out the whole unit)
•PS-8 powerpole splitter (8-way)
•Extension cable
•120v Power cable
•Ground bar
•12v small LED with neodymium magnets

Here’s the schematic:

With the 120v applied:

With the 120v lost:

And this was the can in the making...

EMACS: BATTERY
•1x 12v 55ah SLA Battery (the largest that can fit into an ammo can)
•Long extension cables (powerpoles)
•PS-4 powerpole splitter (4-way)
•Female cig adapter to powerpole
•100w  12v-120v  inverter
•Power adapter for my Yaesu VX-8R (terminates to powerpole)

EMACS: DIGITAL
•Toshiba NB205 netbook
•External CD/DVD/RW
•External Hard Drive 150gb
•Rigblaster Plus soundcard (with all the cables)
•Headphones that covers the ears
•External speaker

EMACS: HF ANTENNA
•LDG Pro II antenna tuner (with cheat-sheet on the side)
•4:1 balun
•100’ coax
•20m dipole with balun (will change to a multi-band dipole near future)

MISC PICS

Side notes:  
I've thought about "MACES - Modular Ammo Can Emcomm System," but I decided to go with EMACS... sounded more masculine.  
The reason I put velcro on the lid that contained the battery was that if it were to tip over and slide up, the contacts wouldn't touch metal.  

UPDATE:  More pics:

I got rid of my 10w 2m collapsible antenna because the MFJ-1899T can TX on 2m as a 5/8 wave antenna upto 25w.  When opened up, you can see how neatly packed away it is.  
The ground plane needed at least 22'.  The problem I had was a 25' tape measure took up too much space inside the ammo can; however, two 12' tape measures were a perfect fit.

The tape measures also has a little hole on the end.  I took a battery clamp and modified the ends and the tips slipped in perfectly.

I aimed for 7.180, clamped on the ground plane, adjusted the tape measure to the correct length, and Rx was very clear.  I was impressed.  

I created a little reference card (will have it laminated later) to reference.  Having a tape measure, I can adjust the height of the whips according to the band I want to operate on.  

I haven't TX yet because 1.) I'm inside and will wait to test this outside... and 2.) it's late at night and the mosquitoes are deadly right now with all the rain we've been having.  

Sometime within the weak, I will take video and post it on Youtube.

ETA1:  I will follow up with a YouTube Video in the near future.
ETA2:  Total setup time of radio, power supply, and digital:  about 10-20 min.
ETA3:  Added More pics
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

For a mobile setup, place in trunk, take lid off and bring the faceplate into the car.

I was hoping to see the whole lid setup mounted in the car.

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool!

But vim is better
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Very cool!

But vim is better

what's a vim?
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
That's one helluva a setup!!

I'm planning on making a shelf system to hold an 857, v71a, power supply, interfaces, and cabling that will fit in a large ammo can I have

this definitely gives me more food for thought!

LM
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice! I had the same idea a few years ago and mounted my 706 in a "can". I have two more of these cans for the power supply and antenna fixins'.

And another "can" project..

VHF/UHF crossband portable repeater.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very cool!

But vim is better

That is one neat setup! I am trying to get all the stuff together to get started on mine. I look forward to the video!
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Think about adding another set of powerpoles and a 15 or 30 amp solar charger. I know the largest Powerfilm panel is expensive but it gives you a backup long term option. Like the way you did this. Did you use standard 50cal cans or the "Fat 50s" ?
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very cool!

But vim is better

what's a vim?

linky
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Think about adding another set of powerpoles and a 15 or 30 amp solar charger. I know the largest Powerfilm panel is expensive but it gives you a backup long term option. Like the way you did this. Did you use standard 50cal cans or the "Fat 50s" ?

I did use the Fat/Tall 50 cal cans.  It was the just the right height, if you take the head unit off the rig... which is the reason why I mounted the headunit on the lid.  

I have a 45w solar panel from Harbor Freight.  I'm working on a DPDT switch that will switch between the battery charger and the solar panels to charge the battery.  As soon as I have a working model, I'll post pics.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very cool!

But vim is better

what's a vim?

linky

Ahhh... gotcha.  

Quoted:
Very nice! I had the same idea a few years ago and mounted my 706 in a "can". I have two more of these cans for the power supply and antenna fixins'.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/706/DSCN2498.jpg

And another "can" project..
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/706/DSCN2949.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/706/DSCN2947.jpg
VHF/UHF crossband portable repeater.

I still love those pics.  I'll have to get a working repeater in an ammo can one day.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#10]
That is a really bitchen setup but you forgot to paint it orange.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Connect the solar charge controller to the jumper from relay pins 7 and 8 then shouldn't need to use a switch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very cool!

But vim is better

what's a vim?

linky

I'd much rather use vi.  One of the places I used to work the sys admin nuked the vi binary and and created a symlink to emacs called /usr/bin/vi...  What a prick he was...

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very cool!

But vim is better

what's a vim?

linky

I'd much rather use vi.  One of the places I used to work the sys admin nuked the vi binary and and created a symlink to emacs called /usr/bin/vi...  What a prick he was...

He's beyond a sysadmin. He's a BOFH. Probably prefers vim himself, but really enjoys fucking with people so much that he's willing to use emacs just to watch them squirm.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very cool!

But vim is better

what's a vim?

linky

He's beyond a sysadmin. He's a BOFH. Probably prefers vim himself, but really enjoys fucking with people so much that he's willing to use emacs just to watch them squirm.

Unfamiliar w/ BOFH definition, but that sounds like him

Funny totally off-message continuance of the story tho, I bitched to my manager at the time, and his response was this:  "Look, the guy's got a small dick and his husband beats him.  Can you figure out emacs, or do I need to go through this hell?".  He was the best boss I've ever had, and I learned emacs against my will...  

OP, I like your ammo can solution, will cease and desist from trashing your thread.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very cool!

But vim is better

what's a vim?

linky

Unfamiliar w/ BOFH definition, but that sounds like him

Funny totally off-message continuance of the story tho, I bitched to my manager at the time, and his response was this:  "Look, the guy's got a small dick and his husband beats him.  Can you figure out emacs, or do I need to go through this hell?".  He was the best boss I've ever had, and I learned emacs against my will...  

OP, I like your ammo can solution, will cease and desist from trashing your thread.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.

BOFH = Bastard Operator From Hell. Back in the 80s Simon Travaglia wrote a bunch of short stories about being a BOFH for a college and generally screwing with people. Funny stuff. He still writes new BOFH articles for The Register which aren't nearly as good as the originals, though still occasionally amusing. The originals had stuff like greping the school physician's logs for STDs and cross referencing it to the mailing list of school employees then forwarding it to the newspaper

And yes, vim vs emacs is a splendid cross to die on I would have raised hell. At one point my vimrc was over 300 lines.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Chino,

What mount are you using for the VX8 in the car?

Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Chino,

What mount are you using for the VX8 in the car?

I bought my mount at the AES store in Orlando.  I'm confident it was the Lido Mount

I bought the 15" Arm that fits under the Seat Bolt and the other was a mount for any HT with a belt clip.

Quoted:
Connect the solar charge controller to the jumper from relay pins 7 and 8 then shouldn't need to use a switch.

Say, that's not a bad idea.  Sometime in the next few weeks I'll add in some new connectors, drill a space for them and make it a dedicated solar charger.  Tying it to either 7 or 8 pins will also be tied to the volt meter.

Maybe I should have called it MACES instead.  When I posted the pictures on Facebook Groups, I got a similar reaction with the Wikipages of EMACS.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#18]
One item you might want to add is a cigarette lighter to dual USB charging port adapter for portable devices. They are very small and will save you from having to use your inverter or laptop to charge them.

Most EOCs have wire or wireless network connections. In case your in a location with no connection consider using an Android type phone dongled of the netbook for internet using PDANET. I don't know if similar app is available for Apple devices.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Is that an HF rubber duck?
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#20]
If not, it looks like a possible good application for a Chameleon Antenna.  
http://chameleonantenna.com/
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]
EMCOMM Box Thread link added/corrected

QRV
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One item you might want to add is a cigarette lighter to dual USB charging port adapter for portable devices. They are very small and will save you from having to use your inverter or laptop to charge them.

Most EOCs have wire or wireless network connections. In case your in a location with no connection consider using an Android type phone dongled of the netbook for internet using PDANET. I don't know if similar app is available for Apple devices.

I have a 100w inverter that has a plug and a 5v USB plug in.  I placed it in the battery can.  

I wish... if there was an extenable HF antenna that will fit in the ammo box, I'm all ears.

It's the 10w 2m extendable antenna, an alternative just in case I can't find a place to hang the 50w Slim Jim.  

Quoted:

QRV

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 100w inverter that has a plug and a 5v USB plug in.  I placed it in the battery can.  

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0611.jpg

I wish... if there was an extenable HF antenna that will fit in the ammo box, I'm all ears.

It's the 10w 2m extendable antenna, an alternative just in case I can't find a place to hang the 50w Slim Jim.  

Quoted:

QRV

Thanks!  

As Sandhills mentioned, Chamelion. Covers 10 and 6m. Better than nothing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#24]
One thing to think about is power consumption efficiency. Using the inverter just for its USB port is very inefficient if there is no way to disable the inverter section. Take the inverter and measure the current draw with no loads attached. There is a quintessence current draw even at idle with no load. Using the lighter socket usb adapter there is no current draw at no load.

Bad thing about the antenna is that it only collapses to 29 inches. They make a wire model called Hybrid that can work with the collapsible whip called "The Hybrid". There is a Mobil model that has a 56 inch whip that you might can coil up in an ammo can. There is also a nice zepp model as well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#25]
oh this is so tagged
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One thing to think about is power consumption efficiency. Using the inverter just for its USB port is very inefficient if there is no way to disable the inverter section. Take the inverter and measure the current draw with no loads attached. There is a quintessence current draw even at idle with no load. Using the lighter socket usb adapter there is no current draw at no load.

I see what you're talking about.  That's a good idea.  I'll add that to my kit.  

Bad thing about the antenna is that it only collapses to 29 inches. They make a wire model called Hybrid that can work with the collapsible whip called "The Hybrid". There is a Mobil model that has a 56 inch whip that you might can coil up in an ammo can. There is also a nice zepp model as well.

The size is an issue, especially space in the can.  

Here's a question...   what about this antenna?  

It's made for the FT-817 and has a BNC connector, but that's easy to fix with a BNC-UHF adapter.  It collapses down to just a little over 10" and extends out to 4.5'.  This will easily fit in the ammo can and will Tx up to 25w.  

They make ones for 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 30, 40, 80m...  all for the FT-817, but I would think it could be adapted for the FT-857D.   Good/Bad idea?

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the antenna idea but not so much MFJ.

Look for other 817 antenna ideas.  You can always use your tuner. How about some short sections of aluminum telescopic tubing from DX Engineering adapt it to a 3/8 inch antenna mount. Add a few wires for a counterpoise.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm trying to avoid is using a tuner because I can't fit it in the same can. The tuner is located in a separate can with the HF antennas that I would need to string up.  

Having a collapsible HF antenna inside the ammo can that doesn't need a tuner would be ideal. If I can fit at least 2 HF antennas in the can, that would be awesome!  

If there is a better collapsible antenna than the MFJ, I'm all ears.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

***This is a revised and updated thread to the last one I've posted about my Ammo Can setup.

In the past, I consolidated all of my items into one large box (SKU 19” Shelf Rack 5u). The problem with that was weight, bulk, wasn’t waterproof, and it was awkward to carry. So I rethought that idea and came up with the perfect solution… Ammo Cans: they are durable, waterproof (check the seal first) and modular. I can take what I want and go with It.

Doing a quick Google search to make sure there was no other name associated with this, I came up with:

EMACS = Emcomm Modular Ammo Can System

I've broken down each ammo can into several categories:

RADIO

POWER SUPPLY

POWER (aka BATTERY)

DIGITAL

HF ANTENNA

EMACS: RADIO

•FT-857D (w/ TCXO, 300CW, and SSB Filters installed)

•50w Slim Jim antenna w/ 16’ of coax, hook attachment for hanging

•10w extendable antenna (if there is nothing to hang the slim jim on)

•TinyTrak 3 (setup for HF APRS, emergency only)

•50amp Noise Filter (for use in the car)

•Whiterook Key (paddle/straight) with neodymium magnets

•Writing Pad and space pen

•Miniature Leatherman tool attached to the lid with neodymium magnets

•Battery cables w/ powerpoles

•Extension cable w/ powerpoles

•PS4 Powerpole splitter (4-way)

•Radio manual cheat-sheet

•Small red LED lights w/ powerpoles, attached to neodymium magnets

•Frequency cutouts (laminated and Velcro’d to the lid.

•Longer 6-wire cord so I can detach the lid and move the lid w/ head unit elsewhere.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0602.jpg

Here’s the build (old pics with new pics):

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/Picture2.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/Picture6.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0594.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0613.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0619.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0620.jpg

Everything packed away neatly

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0596.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/6de9097f.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/6885aceb.jpg
EMACS: POWER SUPPLY

•Battery Tender 1.5 amps

•30amp Power Supply

•120V DPDT switch

•4x 40mm cooling fans

•Volt and Amp Analog Meters

•Eyebolts (to easily pull out the whole unit)

•PS-8 powerpole splitter (8-way)

•Extension cable

•120v Power cable

•Ground bar

•12v small LED with neodymium magnets

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0584.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0585.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0586.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0587.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0589.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0590.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0591.jpg
Here’s the schematic:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/Picture10.jpg

With the 120v applied:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/Picture11.jpg

With the 120v lost:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/Picture12.jpg

And this was the can in the making...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/901529b7.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/2d475d4b.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/0eb2a280.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/3d55f39d.jpg
EMACS: BATTERY

•1x 12v 55ah SLA Battery (the largest that can fit into an ammo can)

•Long extension cables (powerpoles)

•PS-4 powerpole splitter (4-way)

•Female cig adapter to powerpole

•100w 12v-120v inverter

•Power adapter for my Yaesu VX-8R (terminates to powerpole)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0608.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0609.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0611.jpg

EMACS: DIGITAL

•Toshiba NB205 netbook

•External CD/DVD/RW

•External Hard Drive 150gb

•Rigblaster Plus soundcard (with all the cables)

•Headphones that covers the ears

•External speaker

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0622.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0623.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0626.jpg
EMACS: HF ANTENNA

•LDG Pro II antenna tuner (with cheat-sheet on the side)

•4:1 balun

•100’ coax

•20m dipole with balun (will change to a multi-band dipole near future)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0627.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0629.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0631.jpg
MISC PICS

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0605.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0612.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0607.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/ChinoUSMC/Ham%20Radio/IMG_0632.jpg
Side notes:

I've thought about "MACES - Modular Ammo Can Emcomm System," but I decided to go with EMACS... sounded more masculine.

The reason I put velcro on the lid that contained the battery was that if it were to tip over and slide up, the contacts wouldn't touch metal.

SCWolverine, can you replace my old thread with this new thead in the EmComm Box Sticky, Thanks!.

ETA: I will follow up with a YouTube Video in the near future.

ETA2: Total setup time of radio, power supply, and digital: about 10-20 min.

Your ol' lady is gonna beat your ass if you don't get those metal cans offn' her dinette table.

Nice job on the set-ups.

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I had to go.across the pond to find you an 80-6 meter vertical that will fit in an ammo can.

Review of the antenna
http://www.g4ilo.com/atx.html

Antenna supplier
http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/ATX-MKII__Portable_80-6m_HF_Antenna_BNC.html

Antenna pamphlet
http://www.wsplc.com/pdf/atx-mkii.pdf

Read the review carefully about using a counterpoise especially about tape measure counterpoise.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well I had to go.across the pond to find you an 80-6 meter vertical that will fit in an ammo can.

Review of the antenna
http://www.g4ilo.com/atx.html

Antenna supplier
http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/ATX-MKII__Portable_80-6m_HF_Antenna_BNC.html

Antenna pamphlet
http://www.wsplc.com/pdf/atx-mkii.pdf

Read the review carefully about using a counterpoise especially about tape measure counterpoise.

Thanks for the links.  Looks like the MFJ-1899T is the American cousin of that particular model.  I LOVE the idea of the tape measure as a ground plane.  Easy to adjust, no complicated wires to deal with, and it rolls up neatly.  Brilliant!

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

Here's a pic that I took at the 2012 Hurricane Expo when our group was promoting Amateur Radio and how we are affiliated with the EOC for emergency communications.  This is the first time the public has seen EMACS and it has gotten quite a few admirers.    

In fact, one of the Senior Emergency Management personnel from another county love the idea of how my system was setup and wanted to share it with the ARES group down there.  

Here is another shot from a different angle.  Notice the 2m Slim Jim?

We also had a few kids try it out (3rd party conversation) and they had a lot of fun making their first contact on 2m.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#32]
AMAZING!
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#33]
UPDATE:

Just got the MFJ-1899T Collapsible HF Antenna (80-6m) ordered from Gigaparts.  Pics to follow shortly...

I'll have to post AAR once I get it up and running.  Juggling between packing up our rental house to move into our 1st house and playing with ham radio depends on if/when the wife is around.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2012 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

Just got the MFJ-1899T Collapsible HF Antenna (80-6m) ordered from Gigaparts.  Pics to follow shortly...

I'll have to post AAR once I get it up and running.  Juggling between packing up our rental house to move into our 1st house and playing with ham radio depends on if/when the wife is around.  

just remember, you have to turn the power down to 25w or less for that antenna.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#35]
This pic is just for illustration...

I got rid of my 10w 2m collapsible antenna because the MFJ-1899T can TX on 2m as a 5/8 wave antenna upto 25w.  When opened up, you can see how neatly packed away it is.  
The ground plane needed at least 22'.  The problem I had was a 25' tape measure took up too much space inside the ammo can; however, two 12' tape measures were a perfect fit.

The tape measures also has a little hole on the end.  I took a battery clamp and modified the ends and the tips slipped in perfectly.

I aimed for 7.180, clamped on the ground plane, adjusted the tape measure to the correct length, and Rx was very clear.  I was impressed.  

I created a little reference card (will have it laminated later) to reference.  Having a tape measure, I can adjust the height of the whips according to the band I want to operate on.  

I haven't TX yet because 1.) I'm inside and will wait to test this outside... and 2.) it's late at night and the mosquitoes are deadly right now with all the rain we've been having.  

Sometime within the week, I will take video and post it on Youtube.

Quoted:
just remember, you have to turn the power down to 25w or less for that antenna.

Thanks for the reminder...  the package did not say how many watts the antenna could take.

ETA:  The antenna has a BNC installed...  I got the BNC-UHF adapter for it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#36]
SWEET. I will say that measures up for portable ops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top