Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2018 1:55:53 PM EDT
I have the big Sportsman, and the blue ice divider inserts for my general purpose beer and camp cooler, and the combo works pretty well. The beer isn't quite as cold as if it had been soaking in ice water, but my food stays dry and the cooler weighs less.

Always looking to improve, I got the idea of instead filling the wire basket made for them with dry ice, and using that as my sole cooling source. I've never used dry ice for cooling, so I have no experience.

Has it been done? Does it keep the beer icy cold, and for how long?
How much dry ice would I require?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 3:06:07 PM EDT
Dude, dry ice will keep ice cream so cold that you can't scoop it, even after a day in thy he cooler. I wouldn't use it on anything you want to keep in liquid form.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:10:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2018 3:14:28 AM EDT by ColtRifle]
If you put dry ice (a small amount) in the bottom and then a bit of regular ice, the dry ice will freeze the ice into a solid block. Then, you can put your food on top and add more ice. If you put too much dry ice into the bottom, your food will become a solid block of ice and your liquids will all freeze and explode.

Don't use much.

Pre chilling your cooler also helps. Dry ice will do it for you but you can pre chill it with frozen water bottles too and don't bother with the dry ice. Also, I like to toss my drinks in the deep freeze for a couple hrs before I pack the cooler. Pre chill or freeze everything you can and your ice will last much longer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:13:22 AM EDT
I have a dedicated beer refrigerator, will freeze water, but not the beer. Pre chill for two days.

Ice is "pre chilled" in a deep freeze @ 0 degrees for two days.

Brine solution in gallon or half gallon jugs, frozen @ 0 degrees.

Gets me through the weekend, everyone else makes ice runs. Don't put anything next to the brine you don't want frozen.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:01:23 AM EDT
I use dry ice on bottom followed by frozen meats, then cardboard and then the liquids and non frozen things on top of that. It works well for about 3 days. Then I have to have all the frozen meat eaten by then.
Top Top