Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2008 3:49:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/17/2008 3:50:16 PM EST by Feral]
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 4:04:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 5:23:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/17/2008 5:47:00 PM EST by New4John]
Any difference between Seltzer's and Lebanon? Just smokey vice sweet?

ETA: Dammit, now I'm hungry cuz you can't get that stuff down here. One of the FEW things I miss about Pa.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 5:55:35 PM EST
you can order a sampler from ––––

seltzersbologna.com
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 9:19:11 PM EST
I love that stuff!
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 3:34:50 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 4:29:19 PM EST
Why can I not find it on their site for sale... just the description?
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 5:43:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By Feral:
Originally Posted By New4John:
Any difference between Seltzer's and Lebanon? Just smokey vice sweet?

I think you'd classify this stuff as a sweet Lebanon bologna that was smoked. It's not as sweet as an unsmoked sweet Lebanon bologna....probably due to the fact that the smoking has dried it a bit.

If the ingredient declaration specifies something like "lactic acid bacteria added" then it would technically be classified as Lebanon Bologna. Lebanon style bologna is characterized by a coarser grind (not emulsified like our standard American bologna – which is a cheap copy of Italian Mortadella sausage), lactic acid bacteria added to drop the pH by one whole point, slight dehydration during the smoking process, and a cook of not more than about 120°F.

That looks like some mighty good sausage! Feral, you often talk about a simple meal of some type of sausage, a good cheese, and crusty bread. I can find the meat and cheese but there are no artisan type bakeries in our area. Everyone wants to let the loaf cool and then put it in plastic! I know, I know, you make your crusty loaves. I used to bake bread, even when I was a commander in the Army! I baked four loaves of bread every saturday. ...but now that I'm older, I can't afford to follow my previous policy of "bake a loaf, eat a loaf"!

Speaking of good sausage, Walmart's delis have a particularly good brand of "sandwich" pepperoni. I like thick cut chunks of pepperoni on the pizza I make at home so I buy this stuff and cut it about a ¼" thick and then into chunks so my pepperoni doesn't burn in my 550°F oven! Yup, hot oven, ceramic pizza stone, and my homemade pizza only takes six minutes to get the crust a golden brown. Try Walmart's deli pepperoni, it make great sandwiches too!

If any of you ever find yourself out in south central Washington, stop in and we'll have a simple meal of sausage, cheese, bread, perhaps a few grapes or an apple, and a diet coke (sorry, we Mormons don't drink alcohol).
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 3:01:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2008 3:02:00 AM EST by spoolup]
Originally Posted By support_six:

If any of you ever find yourself out in south central Washington, stop in and we'll have a simple meal of sausage, cheese, bread, perhaps a few grapes or an apple, and a diet coke (sorry, we Mormons don't drink alcohol).

Dont they also frown on caffine? Just givin you a hard time. When I was in the Marines, as soon as they heard I was from SLC UT, the first 3 questions out of their soup coolers was: Are you mormon? Do you have mutiple wifes? Can you really not drink coke/coffee or eat chocolate?

Oh how I miss those times.
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 5:36:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By spoolup:
Originally Posted By support_six:

Dont they also frown on caffine? Just givin you a hard time. When I was in the Marines, as soon as they heard I was from SLC UT, the first 3 questions out of their soup coolers was: Are you mormon? Do you have mutiple wifes? Can you really not drink coke/coffee or eat chocolate?

Oh how I miss those times.

Well, indirectly. As you know, one can be in good standing as long as one doesn't drink alcohol, coffee, or tea or use tobacco. Anything to which you are addicted takes away your free agency to choose. If you are addicted to caffeine, then you shouldn't drink "full up" diet coke. Coke also makes "caffeine free"

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 6:32:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 7:19:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:55:34 PM EST
I paid, I think, $3.09 per pound on that bologna in the picture.

I hate you.

I'd forgotten how much I missed Lebanon bologna until I was back in Pennsylvania this past Memorial Day. And Middleswarth chips. And birch beer.

Link Posted: 12/25/2008 4:16:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By spoolup:
Why can I not find it on their site for sale... just the description?

You can call 'em up and order it. Pricey as hell though:

4.5 pound "half bologna" $35.95
(2) 12 oz. packs of pre-sliced $23.50

$9 for FedEx ground shipping

I paid, I think, $3.09 per pound on that bologna in the picture.

isn't that less than oscar meyer beef bolagna at the grocery store?
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:59:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/25/2008 8:00:20 AM EST by 1345]
eeee dammit! nuevo mejico has MANY delicious local foods- but i sure do miss pennsyltucky sausages
Top Top