Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2007 3:29:29 PM EDT
Many people think we've "tamed" nature and pretty much run the wildlife out of the "civilized" places, but many wild animals are adapting and learning to live close to us, and plenty of them are doing it fairly well. Here's one that seemed to do ok for quite a few years(at least until this year). He made it to 9 feet 1 inch, 97 pounds.

Found on a farm near Springfield, Missouri.

Something to keep in mind when doing chores, walking in tall weeds, or even through the woods.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Guy like that would sound like a chainsaw when he rattled, hear him a hundred feet away.

It's the smaller ones I worry about, especially when the weather's cool and they're half dead...till you step near them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
you can just rock me to sleep tonight.......I dont do snakes.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, if that had been me, the snake would of had a lot more holes and several pieces missing. We have quite a few rattle snake and water moccasins around here. I try to avoid them as much as possible, but when they get to close we take them out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I killed a 6' rattler at my grandparents farm in Leanox Ga when I was 8. They have the picture though...
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
That's an impressive snake, for sure.

But doing a few calculations, I wonder about the 97 pounds part.

The man holding the pickup tool looks like he is holding the tool with his left hand at about 1/3 the tool's length from his right hand at about a 30 degree angle from the horizontal.

That mean's the downward force of the snake at ~100 pounds translates to an upward force of about 200 pounds the man has to exert to hold the tool and snake.

I'm not from Missouri [a buddy says it's got the most beautiful women in the US so I'd like to be] but I have to say "show me".
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The man holding the pickup tool looks like he is holding the tool with his left hand at about 1/3 the tool's length from his right hand at about a 30 degree angle from the horizontal.

That mean's the downward force of the snake at ~100 pounds translates to an upward force of about 200 pounds the man has to exert to hold the tool and snake.

I'm not from Missouri [a buddy says it's got the most beautiful women in the US so I'd like to be] but I have to say "show me".

Yep......I was thinking the same thing.  There is no way that thing weights 97lbs.  If it did weight that much, there is no way that guy could hold 97lbs out on a long pole like he is.  I'm calling BS on that one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually think that picture is older than the thing you wrote/copied from an email, etc.  I saw it last year, I know for sure, and maybe even before that.  And, I think it was in Texas, not sure though....just going by my memory.

He is making it look bigger by the way the he is holding it from his body.

However, that is a mighty big rattler, I've killed a cottonmouth that was over 8 feet long, and it was certainitely impressive.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I've heard that picture is being recycled, but it's still a big rattler. Anyway, the critters are adjusting to our presence. I had to relocate a 6 1/2 foot black king snake last year from right in my chicken coop.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Actually, that's not a pickup tool either. It's a cattle prod.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont care how much it weighs its a damn big rattler. Usually around the ranch back home we would just chop a rattlers head of with a shovel but if I ever see one that big you better believe I am going to grab a shotgun and some buckshot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep......I was thinking the same thing.  There is no way that thing weights 97lbs.  If it did weight that much, there is no way that guy could hold 97lbs out on a long pole like he is.  I'm calling BS on that one.

That dudes a beast if the snake is 97lbs...I need to start working out...
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]
He is probably wrong about the length of the snake as well, accounding to the American International Rattlesnake Museum, the longest rattler of any species ever reported was an Eastern Diamondback that was 8"1'.  There have been big rewards offered for a bigger one, dead or alive, but one has never materialized.

-Ben
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Just so you all know that snake was found on North FT Hood TX. Not sure of the measurements though. That pic has been on display at the Range Control Office for like 2 years. Right next to it is the caption watch out for the Wild Life!! May not have been on North Ft but sure looks like it. That is the Same pic that they have posted though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:02:39 AM EDT
[#16]
So remember kids Watch Out for the Wildlife
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow, this dupe goes back to 2005.

www.snopes.com/photos/animals/txsnake.asp
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually, the snake was killed in Shubuta, Mississippi which is located in central Mississippi near Meridian.  I have a good friend and a co-worker who know the man in the photo.  I don't remember the measurements of the snake, but I believe is was around 8ft. long.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]
It'll pretty soon be shedding time for the snakes, and they'll start getting really cranky and mean. Usually during July-August or so they get really mad, and are a special hazard to watch out for.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#20]
one thing is for sure, that'd make one huge pot of jambalaya. and a bunch of shishkabobs... umm umn um, yummy!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Dang, I've never seen one that big!

yea no shit.....that could eat a small child
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top