Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/14/2009 1:00:23 PM EST
I went to two dollar stores, I was looking for canning supplies, there were none to be seen...I aske dthe manager guy. He said they were seasonal, usually around Christmas....hello what can you can then? Cookie mix? The ACE hardware placce was a dusty old, wooden floor, you think you will fall through...had what I needed at a good price..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:58:37 PM EST
saw some jars at lowes. something like 12 for $10
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:46:40 PM EST
Local wally world is stocked
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:51:22 PM EST
By Dollar store do you mean Dollar Tree or something like Dollar General or Family Dollar.

Most of those due to small size try to push out merchandise quick, Dollar Tree is really bad about this.

Normally in the end you can get the items cheaper at Walmart and they stock it all the time. The trick is find where it is in Walmart
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:02:22 PM EST
I worked at an Ace many many years ago, and I remember then that we carried canning goods, and we could order pretty much anything you wanted.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:46:46 PM EST
Thats wierd. I carry them in the grocery store I manage at year round.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:38:06 AM EST
The dollar store stocks them for people looking for containers to put candy or gifts in. At least that seems to be all they do around here.

Walmart has em in stock, was looking at em yesterday and will be going back in a couple days once I make some more room for shelves and put some more shelves in place to hold all my new canning jars I have yet to buy.

$7 or $8 a dozen for some of the sizes I believe.

I personally don't mess with the dollar store very often. I like the after christmas sale on the popcorn tins but hate finding out they actually have popcorn in them, I just wanted the metal container for 2 bucks and not the popcorn. Put the popcorn in the trash and washed out the metal container and I was happy.

Ace hardware is nice as well, I tend to just buy hardware stuff from them though and don't think I have seen canning jars in stock there before.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:53:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By oregonblackrifle:
Thats wierd. I carry them in the grocery store I manage at year round.

I got my Ball jars at Publix, and use them when I make a pot of spaghetti sauce.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:09:26 AM EST
Don't forget Biglots.

They have jars for $6.50 a dozen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:35:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By pyro6988:
Don't forget Biglots.

They have jars for $6.50 a dozen.

$6.50 for half pine jelly jars
7.25-7.75$ for quart jars.

Kroger is 12$ for 12 jars. Walmart was 9-10$ for 12 here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:38:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By TheWind:
I went to two dollar stores, I was looking for canning supplies, there were none to be seen...I aske dthe manager guy. He said they were seasonal, usually around Christmas....hello what can you can then? Cookie mix? The ACE hardware placce was a dusty old, wooden floor, you think you will fall through...had what I needed at a good price..

You have to remember the premise of what the Dollar Stores is –– they get stuff cheap as a closeout and that allows them to sell them to you. Many things they acquire in the off-season... Canning is popular now so the canning supplies won't be available 'til the off season.

Just my guess personally.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:52:03 AM EST
No went to big lots, $7.50 a dozen for quarts, for golden harvest, they had alot of current thing there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:36:54 PM EST
I have begun to do canning jars (w/lids & rings) like I used to do the Federal bulk packs, by buying a flat of 12 every time I get to Wally World. So far I have 3 dozen Widemouth Quarts & 2 dozen Widemouth Pints.

The quarts cost $10 per dozen, & the pints were $8 something at my nearest Wally World.

I do not know where I read it, but there was a person predicting with all the new people that will likely start gardening & preserving since the economy has fallen, that there could be a possibility of a shortage of supplies. I don't wanna be stuck w/o enough for me to put up. I know that sounds an awful lot like panic buying, but I'd rather buy a little now than be stuck with fresh produce ready to be canned & no jars. It's not like they will go bad either.

Maybe the guy worked for BALL & was just trying to boost sales too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:27:45 PM EST
I see that happening, there are shortages, also many areas as gardening, canning and the like have gone down in sales over the last few years. So your local store may stop ordering as much or totally. When I went to the more rural areas, they carried more canning supplies. The yuppie ACE had less, and more decorations and BBQ supplies...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:16:31 PM EST
I get mine at Bi-Mart and Winco year round.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:19:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheWind:
No went to big lots, $7.50 a dozen for quarts, for golden harvest, they had alot of current thing there.

Better luck than we have here. Big Lots has not had canning jars or lids in over 4 months. They have no idea when they'll be getting any in either.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:24:27 AM EST
Well they didn't have wide mouth, but did have a pallet of regualr, no extra lids though. Well we are going to tractor supply and and get some parts we needs, I am doing the driveway today.
Top Top