Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 2:20:07 PM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

Long story short, I just installed a transfer switch and backup power system at my local mechanic's home in exchange for him replacing the head gasket in my car. He purchased the equipment that I suggested, and I got everything installed this weekend. While his new genset, transfer switch, and wife-friendly remote start are all working perfectly, a question has come up. His spouse is very ill, and she needs a portable oxygen concentrator LINK in order to breathe.

My question is this: do these things need pure sine wave power to function properly? He couldn't spend the coin on the big inverter Honda I originally suggested, so we settled on an EB series industrial. While the EB series output is clean it is still modified, rather than pure sine wave. I'm having a very hard time explaining the difference to them, and would like to know if it's even needed before I go to plan "B". Plan "B" is taking a extra Liebert sine wave UPS and placing it in between the genset and the O2 machine. This seems to me to be a no-brainer. The O2 machine fits the bill of mission-critical as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]
it doesn't appear to have alot of sensitive electronis involved, I would guess you would be ok but I would call the maker and talk to a tec just to make sure..

Good luck Brother.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks RR

I downloaded the manual and fired off an e-mail to support. Guess I'll call them in the morning to make sure. While she has O2 in bottles for backup, I don't want this thing to get FUBARed from my handiwork.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
CJan, first let me express best wishes for your friend's wife and I am grateful they have someone such as yourself who has taken an interest in helping them.

During the H1N5 or whatever issue way back in 2006, I found a used Devilbiss O2 concentrater on ebay that lookes very similar to the one in your link.

It worked fine [they are actually used as an O2 source for folks working with jewerly and having to do fine brazing, etc].

One of my reasons for wanting one was to recover the N2 from the 'backend' so to speak, for flooding food prep containers with nitrogen. They will work for this and have significant capacity. I've posted this info here before [to no interest ]

I took mine apart to study it and it does have quite a bit of electronics, there is a micro-controller and various fans, one compressor, solenoid valves, etc.

Getting to your question of sine vs a standard generator, I see no reason why not.

Here's a pix from Honda of the waveform of an EB3000c generator. I'm guessing that's the one your friend bought.

That waveform is way better than a modified sq wave inverter, approaching a true sine wave, and I see no reason the concentrator wouldn't operate correctly with it based on examination of the used one.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Another suggestion is to lookaround for a good used one privately, you can likely pick one up for a few $100 like I did, and alternatively use them.

Two is one...

BTW, that's a good price in your link.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Or maybe a UPS for just that device? Would that not further clean it up? I am asking, because I am wondering also...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know if this helps.....but I let my dad borrow a Coleman 1850......he pluged my moms O2 gen in to it and ran it for the evening....6 to 7 hrs.....didn't hurt it.....that's been 2 years ago.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or maybe a UPS for just that device? Would that not further clean it up? I am asking, because I am wondering also...

you would need more than a standard UPS. a couple of deep cell 6v batteries and an inverter would run it but for how long i have no idea. those things run non stop and im sure draw quite a bit of power. if your dependent on them you should have O2 tanks as a back up for power outages. if you dont call your Dr and get a script for O2 and a regulator. plus with pure O2 you dont need as many LPM as the scrubber. a SPO2 monitor would also be nice to have to monitor O2 levels so you will know if you need more or less O2. you can monitor your levels and adjust down till your sats drop a little then take it up to the next level.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll try to remember to ask my biomed friends about it this week.....

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

One of my reasons for wanting one was to recover the N2 from the 'backend' so to speak, for flooding food prep containers with nitrogen. They will work for this and have significant capacity. I've posted this info here before [to no interest ]

I'd like to know more. Would you have a link?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC, mine draws about 60 watts...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to know more. Would you have a link?

IIRC, I wrote a topic on it long ago here but you'd have to search since i don't have a membership.

Just search 'concentrator' by expy37.

Pls let me know if you find it, if not I can start another one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top