Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 11:11:18 AM EDT
Have any of you have see "Alone in the wilderness" with Dick Proenneke on PBS ? Would he have been able to set up a HF rig and get signal to civilization from where his cabin was ? He was surrounded by tall mountains and the nearest town was 40 miles away.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have any of you have see "Alone in the wilderness" with Dick Proenneke on PBS ? Would he have been able to set up a HF rig and get signal to civilization from where his cabin was ? He was surrounded by tall mountains and the nearest town was 40 miles away.
View Quote

I love that documentary!!

He never did talk about it or show it inside of the cabin, but it wouldn't surprise me.  

Not sure how he would have powered it back then though.  Solar wasn't really popular/available as it is now.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you see his antenna in outside shots of his cabin? That would provide some clues. NVIS is supposed to be good for getting over mountains out to around a few hundred mi.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a DVD. Love it. You can't do something like this anymore unless you move to a remote area in Eastern Siberia or marry an Eskimo woman in Alaska. Dick had no power in his cabin. Back in the days, radios were not as energy efficient as they are now. Solar panels were not easily available either.
I've been watching Alaska The Last Frontier on Netflix and thinking the same thing. HAM radio would be ideal for someone living remotely in the wilderness. They call a local radio station instead to pass messages to their neighbors.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Own the DVD. What a soul. He did'nt need no stinkin radio. If he did he would have built it himself...
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Dick didn't have a radio. That is a fact. I am just asking if it would be possible to get a signal out of where he was if so inclined.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dick didn't have a radio. That is a fact. I am just asking if it would be possible to get a signal out of where he was if so inclined.

View Quote

Very easily. He would need an NVIS on 80 or 160M to talk to locals. No problem with anything else on HF.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]

He most certainly could have used a HF radio from a remote location surrounded by mountains to contact someone.  As mentioned before, NVIS.
I made a contact from deep in a canyon surrounded by 1000 to 2000 ft canyon walls and made a contact to a station about 300 miles away in Albuquerque on 40 meters.  I used a 100 watt mobile, antenna tuner, and about 65 feet of 14 ga. wire strewn on top of short mesquite/palo verde trees about 8 ft off the ground.  Nothing uber special.  I just wanted to see if I could do it, and I did.
And when I say canyon, I meant this (not my pic but actual location Fish Creek on Apache Trail, AZ):

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top