Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2012 6:44:27 AM EST
Not as many folk know that a very versatile and effective means of firelighting is vaseline and Cottonballs.

Spread the vaseline onto the cottonballs and you have up to five minutes of burn-time! :)

Firelighting with cotton balls & Vaseline
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 11:30:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By Watch-Ryder:
Not as many folk know that a very versatile and effective means of firelighting is vaseline and Cottonballs.

Spread the vaseline onto the cottonballs and you have up to five minutes of burn-time! :)

Make sure you get cotton balls and not the synthetic stuff, as it will burn gooey.

What I experiemented with is dryer lint. I don't do polyester, so it's all cotton stuff. Like your suggestion, just take some Vaseline and smear in into the layer of lint and you're golden. Get an Altoids tin, or a small zip lock baggie and store it in that.

Just tear off a wad and watch that stuff burn for a good 1-2 minutes.

Lint is free and plentiful if you do much laundry.

Chris

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 12:39:33 PM EST
And I thought I was bad with a magnesium firestarter! It really helps if you strike hard down the entire length instead of rubbing back and forth on the bottom 1/8 inch

But the vaseline does help a bit
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:41:46 PM EST
I also like practicing with steel wool and a 9 volt battery.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:14:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:17:39 PM EST
In two seperate instances this week:

I got two small 3rd degree burns on my left hand
and I set my left pants leg on fire.

It's all I can do to keep fire from hapening!
I think I'm going to put a can of water in my fire starter kit.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:58:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
You can get quite a few gooped up cotton balls into a a prescription bottle.

35mm film cannisters are good too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:10:33 PM EST
This thread makes *so* much more sense after I re-read the OP. Fire *lighting*... not firefighting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:58:26 PM EST
My wife makes firestarters for the wood stove with egg cartons, dryer lint, and candles bought at yard sales. She makes a bunch in the summer, and uses them all winter long. Sure beats using newspaper.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 11:06:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By PugglePod9000:
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
You can get quite a few gooped up cotton balls into a a prescription bottle.

35mm film cannisters are good too.

What are those
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:10:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By stewfish:
My wife makes firestarters for the wood stove with egg cartons, dryer lint, and candles bought at yard sales. She makes a bunch in the summer, and uses them all winter long. Sure beats using newspaper.

You can't post something like this and then not tell us how she does it!

Get her in here to share her recipe. I'm in Miami and all electric, but I'd like to know her secret. You never know when you might need something like that.

Thanks, Chris

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:39:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By elgat0l0c0:
This thread makes *so* much more sense after I re-read the OP. Fire *lighting*... not firefighting.

Glad I'm not the only one

I was going to sound off about how homeowner-sized foam kits are surprisingly affordable...

...and then I read the OP's post, and wondered how the heck he intended to put a fire out with cotton balls...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:41:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By ChrisGarrett:
Originally Posted By stewfish:

You can't post something like this and then not tell us how she does it!

Get her in here to share her recipe. I'm in Miami and all electric, but I'd like to know her secret. You never know when you might need something like that.

Thanks, Chris

Really? I did this in Cub Scouts when I was 8. Get a cheap double boiler, melt the candles. While they're melting, pack the lint (or sawdust) into the CARDBOARD egg cartons (Styrofoam, obviously, is a bad idea). Once the candles are melted, pour the wax into the egg cartons, on top of the lint/sawdust. Let it cool, then cut into pieces.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:13:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By ChrisGarrett:
Originally Posted By Watch-Ryder:

Make sure you get cotton balls and not the synthetic stuff, as it will burn gooey.

What I experiemented with is dryer lint. I don't do polyester, so it's all cotton stuff. Like your suggestion, just take some Vaseline and smear in into the layer of lint and you're golden. Get an Altoids tin, or a small zip lock baggie and store it in that.

Just tear off a wad and watch that stuff burn for a good 1-2 minutes.

Lint is free and plentiful if you do much laundry.

Chris

My wife does the lint route as well. She uses empty toilet paper rolls and layers the lint and Vaseline inside the roll.
Works great all winter in the fireplace and is way cheaper than fatwood.
Top Top