Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 10:08:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#1]
cool idea!  I'd replace the Tram with a Roll-up J-pole and hang it from the bottom....
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, depending on the specific application a better antenna would provide better performance. E.g., I might try this with a friend who lives in a hollow with an intervening hill. He could put the radio in the bucket on the ground, but he has a copper Slim Jim that he could hoist into a tree on the hilltop.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Needs moar ammo can..
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely a cool idea, thanks for posting it.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, depending on the specific application a better antenna would provide better performance. E.g., I might try this with a friend who lives in a hollow with an intervening hill. He could put the radio in the bucket on the ground, but he has a copper Slim Jim that he could hoist into a tree on the hilltop.
View Quote
I'd hoist the bucket just to keep the antenna cable short. At these freqs and power levels, coax loss will be substantial.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Good point about the cable length.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Did you do a build topic on yours here?  I like your idea as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think so many years ago. It's basically an Icom IC-21AT and a SLA batt in a .30 cal can. Some small pieces of wood are used for the framework in the can. The coax feeds an SO-239 bulkhead connector for the antenna to attach directly or attach coax for an "external" antenna.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top