Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2010 5:45:29 AM EDT
DEER PELLETOLOGY

Interesting read.

After a handful of years bow hunting, I'm consistantly getting Doe and young deer in range, but no bucks with more than 6 points.  I've had quite a few larger (100 - 140") bucks at 50yds that don't apear to be spooked.  They just don't travel the same paths as Doe, so I feel I haven't been in the right tree.

I have a ready supply of deer poo foreign to my hunting area and wonder if this would make any difference in getting a buck within range.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]
mature bucks normally only habitat with does during the rut.  they normally trail downwind of a normal deer run as well. find the cover.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tip.  That will help.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have also found that the larger bucks do not travel the same trails as other deer. Usually there is a much less noticed trail running either perpendicaular or bisecting the main deer trail that big bucks use for scent checking. They use these unidentifiable trails just as other deer use the main trails, but there are only a few large bucks using it. Once you find one, you know what to look for. Also when you find these intersections, hunt them year after year, because big bucks will continually use the same trails because they can scent check many deer from one point, not ease of movement. And I agree, most of the time, these trails are in thick cover and only bisect or cross the main trails every so often.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have also found that the larger bucks do not travel the same trails as other deer. Usually there is a much less noticed trail running either perpendicaular or bisecting the main deer trail that big bucks use for scent checking. They use these unidentifiable trails just as other deer use the main trails, but there are only a few large bucks using it. Once you find one, you know what to look for. Also when you find these intersections, hunt them year after year, because big bucks will continually use the same trails because they can scent check many deer from one point, not ease of movement. And I agree, most of the time, these trails are in thick cover and only bisect or cross the main trails every so often.

Excellent post.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top