Site Notices
Page / 80
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mnmiv:
Checking in here. Hope my fellow Librarians are well.
View Quote

We're okay, but just like every thinking person out there, we're watching current events with increasing alarm.

The swiftness with which enemies are moving should have everyone here on high alert, that's for sure.

I too hope ya'll are well and as safe as you can possibly be.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]

that is a beautiful photo - joshua tree?
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]

GENERAL--

Way past weird to think how long this thread has been up.  Must admit the impulse
to start the thread has been, as many projected, subsumed by contemporary events.
FFF.

I don't think it will be hard to keep thread out of archives.

"I heartily encourage those still here to sort this thread for individual needs."

--DFarm/Designated I will return to this thread immediately after I kill some waterfowl.

--biere--think I will order some Kalaish stuff.  

--STJ pretty please some more knives?

--Ctrapper--just watched episode of swamp people Louisiana gator hookers--very cool.
Gator hide looks like money.

--CPn/mnmiv, good to see you.

--STj awesome pic!

--Former11B--yep this is pretty fffing amazing.  See below.

--heron163--good to see you.

GENERAL NOTE: IMPORTANT: a key/the key purpose of this book/thread was to show People Who
Understand the Same Things...Other People Who Understand the Same Things.  The natural tendency
of these people is modest/retiring/self-contained/solitary.  This is a fatal flaw, that must be understood.
And mitigated.
Understand?

Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:24:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#5]
Originally Posted By DCBourone:
 The natural tendency
of these people is modest/retiring/self-contained/solitary.  This is a fatal flaw, that must be understood.
And mitigated.
Understand?

View Quote

The lone wolf is romantic, but not a great model for long term success.

Good to see you're still around. All of you guys.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
DFarm--exactly.  Nuff said at this time.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By heron163:

that is a beautiful photo - joshua tree?
View Quote

Yes, my daughter and I were there a few weeks ago.

We went north from there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]

--STJ pretty please some more knives?
View Quote

Apologies, I have not been as productive as DFarm.

A long trip.
My yearly match looms.
I am learning guitar.
I am still working on the secret project...which tasks me greatly.

Excuses compound.

Jess and I actually ended up coming back through Boise...but we were in full afterburner mode and that was a long day.

"It never happens the same way twice."
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Excuses compound.

Back through Boise.

You wretched slug.

On the other hand...I detest slowing down when I am going fast.
Or going backwards.  Or seeing the same place twice.  Or repeating...
pretty much anything...

I will therefore muster the smug superiority to forgive you.

Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Yay!
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I need to get the forge out.  Haven't had a chance since the house flooded in March.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Dmarksman Yes get that forge out!
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 4:13:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#13]
Putting up a post in general as training for my future as an Instagram slut. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#14]
So no sequel?
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 1:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#15]
Originally Posted By last_crusader:
So no sequel?
View Quote

I think we're living in the sequel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#16]
lastcrusader/dfarmexactly.  More on this later.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Novels inform in more ways than one. They allow one to think through problems they hadn’t fully articulated yet.

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#18]
--last/c you got it.  Pretty much everybody here has done a bunch of stuff I can't/couldn't do.  But
I have been thinking about "stuff like this" pretty much none stop for 40 years.  Pretty much all
I do.  So I get to write the book you all would write if you had the time.

GENERAL NOTE: Soldier's Son was designed from inception to be "update-able"/upgradeable--hence
the lack of proper names/etc.  It will be updated with background elements reflecting "our times"
within the next few months.  Because yes we really are living "the aftermath" right now, and um
events are moving "rapidly" (rabidly?) choosing what/when to update is...a pretty serious problem.
Because shit will keep happening "very fast" for the rest of our lives.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:38:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: biere] [#19]
While I have been spending way too much time at work, 3 or 4 double shifts a week is normal, I have played with the kalaish blade that I probably spelled wrong.  I plan to order 2 more.  Only difference might be the back tip sweep and how sharp it is.

Kydex sheath is just awesome for don't care and won't care.  Rosewood grips are wood and smell good and handle sweat and rain and whatever else just fine.  Blade, well all I can say is even if I treated this thing like my 3 ft pry bar from when I got paychecks for turning wrenches this thing would ask for more.

If you can give it a better edge, it loves it.  

For whatever reason I kinda like the bowie shape and I am a fan of duplicates or triplicates.  I can't decide what I think about the little backswept edge that probably has a proper name, but after 16 hours at work my brain wandered elsewhere.

I figure all their other stuff is equally awesome.  I have a lot of little blades of different sorts from moras to customs to all sorts of stuffs.

I have some larger blades from cold steel on up to bigger names as well.

These things have sold me on just being plain awesome for the price and one in vehicle and one in home and one else where is the plan.

I will edit to say I kinda don't have a lot to say on other things mentioned other than what are you waiting for.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#20]

--last/c you got it.  Pretty much everybody here has done a bunch of stuff I can't/couldn't do.  But
I have been thinking about "stuff like this" pretty much none stop for 40 years.  Pretty much all
I do.  So I get to write the book you all would write if you had the time.

GENERAL NOTE: Soldier's Son was designed from inception to be "update-able"/upgradeable--hence
the lack of proper names/etc.  It will be updated with background elements reflecting "our times"
within the next few months.  Because yes we really are living "the aftermath" right now, and um
events are moving "rapidly" (rabidly?) choosing what/when to update is...a pretty serious problem.
Because shit will keep happening "very fast" for the rest of our lives.
View Quote

On one hand, sounds like I need to download my copy and start a library of multiple editions; on the other hand, if you did a separate release I’d pay for the new edition too.

I’ve been watching the societal shift carefully for more than a few years. I’m not shocked by the rapidity of change, it’s inside the boundaries of likely probability, but having forecasts come true isn’t heartwarming here. Many martial arts or war analogies come to mind; now that society is solidly off balance/lost its center it’s much easier to keep it moving. The rapid open and obvious stratification of....people has been fascinating.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Cpn_Ron:

On one hand, sounds like I need to download my copy and start a library of multiple editions; on the other hand, if you did a separate release I’d pay for the new edition too.

I’ve been watching the societal shift carefully for more than a few years. I’m not shocked by the rapidity of change, it’s inside the boundaries of likely probability, but having forecasts come true isn’t heartwarming here. Many martial arts or war analogies come to mind; now that society is solidly off balance/lost its center it’s much easier to keep it moving. The rapid open and obvious stratification of....people has been fascinating.
View Quote

That's an interesting way to think about things but it makes a lot of sense to me.

If you're a little off balance you can correct fairly easily. The more off balance you get, the faster you get more off balance and the more difficult it becomes to recover.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#22]
Biere I just ordered two kalaish chitlange kukris 12 inch blades.  Will post when they arrive.  Kalaish is only company that normalizes/oil quenches which should equal much superior blades.  When they resume customs I have several designs to submit.  Great business model.

cpn the new version will "replace" the old.  Don't worry they are 99 percent the same.  Amznnnn will not allow nor would I charge for essentially the same book.  Off balance exactly.

dfarmoff balance and falling hard.

For stj and all:  the only tree:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Kalaish sent pics of blades forged and first grind:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#24]
An older user.  Wicked sharp but overweight and spine much too thick and dead soft:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#26]

cpn the new version will "replace" the old.  Don't worry they are 99 percent the same.  Amznnnn will not allow nor would I charge for essentially the same book.  Off balance exactly.
View Quote

Curious the thinking on revising the book rather than a sequel, different perspective, etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:39:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#27]
cpn/Ron because writing that book was the single most difficult task of my life.  I would love to tell you I love writing/it is a joyful experience/etc. but it was4000 hours? 5000?Using tweezers by candle light.  And I would like to think I've done some pretty difficult things.

The book was designed to incorporate any possible future changes short of an asteroid hit by adding background/environmental/data.  The essential conflict/characters etc. would do the exact same things because they are expressions of elemental drives.

the book has already served A core purpose: aspects of this forum.

wild card: I will be spending thousands of days alone in the desert for the next 10 years. The book suggests an infinite number of ancillary and supportive texts.  I have a lot of time to compose something else. But my guess is given the choice between picking up tweezers or hiking poles and a rifle, I'll pick the rifle.

I'm 63 years old.  This makes me happy:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I understand not wanting to write more, especially at the cost of spending time outside.

I'm genuinely glad that you get to do it. It always makes me happy to see someone figure out a way to live their life the way they want to. ("must be nice" is cancerous thinking)

I'm still curious about what kind of adventures our friend that we left in traffic on the freeway (that had just hole punched a guys cheek with a sharpened revolver) gets into, though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:24:52 AM EDT
[#29]
dfarm holy shit you have a good memory.  Hole Puncher is a gehr waffen affiliate who has to deliver someone to the ranch when the Sinai nuke hits.

"must be nice" no harm no foul dfarm.  From my point of view I just barely made it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:51:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#30]
It stuck in my mind because I hadn't heard of anything like that before.(the sharpened crown) I'd be a liar if I said that I hadn't thought about doing it to a 642 that's been kicking around for a while.

But you did. So it's all good.

ETA:
I hadn't really thought about it until now, but if we'd have asked for that story to be finished first vs TSS, would it have accomplished the same thing?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#31]
dfarm holy shit you have a good memory.  Hole Puncher is a gehr waffen affiliate who has to deliver someone to the ranch when the Sinai nuke hits.

"must be nice" no harm no foul dfarm.  From my point of view I just barely made it.
View Quote

It was a Fitz special. Have you actually done a revolver like that? Or a FAL?

I’d like to see it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I mean, it's as simple as running the crown all the way to the edge.

It'd work fine on critters as written, but would be prone to dings from anything hard starting at aluminum IMO.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

I mean, it's as simple as running the crown all the way to the edge.

It'd work fine on critters as written, but would be prone to dings from anything hard starting at aluminum IMO.
View Quote

Edge geometry could be fun to play with. I imagine something closer to a cold chisel than a leather punch would still get the "point" across.

It'd be more difficult to force through a cheek though. Lol

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Now that I think about it, the better solution is to do this to your muzzle device, as there is no reason the front end of that can't be hardened.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#35]
dfarm I guarantee you quite a few weapons have been counterbored with an edge somewhere in the world.  Crowd control/muzzle strikes/etc. not featured much on YouTubeFal/s have great geometry/length.  Here is another:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:22:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DCBourone] [#36]
lastcrusader I am at the point where I am semi-editing what I would normally post on the net.  General note: I think rifles and and small revolvers / melee weapons?  Yes?/ benefit from striking/bleeding in face and eyes/ cheap mods.

fitz special exactly.

stj yes on all but hardening probably not critical.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#37]
These both look like beaters but they have been significantly worked over.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Living the dream.  Get out there no matter whatAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Beautiful views!  

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Use your magnifying glass four elk on skyline.  Dayum.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 1:39:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I hate to say it, DC, but your plot device of the Sinai nuke now almost seems . . . quaint, maybe?

I suspect we'll see a ground-burst on a metro-area in the not-too-distant future.

Hope I'm wrong, but nothing seems beyond the realm of possibility today.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Checking after relocating. DCB - awesome pics! Of everything. Your implements are prime examples of “never judge a book by its’ cover.”

Any thought on ETA of Gehrverse expansion?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#47]
--Former11B--probability/game theory says first nukke will be signaling/posturing/warning.
Question is: who first.

ON THE OTHER HAND: somebody just released a "nukkke" of a different kind...last year.
No proper names please and etc.  Looks like it worked real good.  Notes have been
taken.  Adjustments are being made.

--mnmiv--I have learned not to predict when/how I will accomplish a writing task...ever again.
But in the same way this/these books "had to get done"--modifications/elaborations "have to
get done."  And I might have a shortcut available--the "first pass"/template/background is
always the most difficult.  Have been experimenting with speech to text.  Promising.

--mnmiv--have a (obvious) bias for the old/heavy/durable/well tested.  Garand receivers/bolts
last 250,000 rounds/plus.  I read that an AR bolt should be observed for potential failure beginning
around 10k rounds.  That just bugs me.  And no need here to evaluate the crushing/ranging aspects
of 8 rounds of 30/06 plus "a few" spares compared to....anything else you can carry?  I also carry
some relevant ranging/observational tools I will not post here/anywhere.  I feel very comfortable
day/night as long as I am not confined by a vehicle/building/terrain features.  This last trip had
six days/saw only one other person: a BLm re-seeding biologist.  Perfect.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By mnmiv:
Checking after relocating. DCB - awesome pics! Of everything. Your implements are prime examples of “never judge a book by its’ cover.”

Any thought on ETA of Gehrverse expansion?
View Quote

You get closer to me or further away?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#49]
I gain no benefit monetarily from mentioning appleseed.  I have taken a couple days of their course and gonna take some more.

Run a search on it.  They teach the very basics in rifle use with proper use of a sling to help you be more steady in your shooting.  No bipod, just you and rifle and sling.  They teach standing, sitting or kneeling, and nap time which they call prone.

Nationwide for most part but some states have light or no coverage.

I am changing my off days so I can get to more of their classes that are on weekends.  Cost is low, pretty much just range fees and of course your ammo you provide.  In many cases they will offer loaner 22lr rifles if you ask ahead of time.  I borrowed a 10-22 with tech sights and wow.  Awesome sights.  Bought some for my 10-22.

They have centerfire classes as well, it varies and this year they started some handgun courses.

This is not run around and shoot various targets.  This is accuracy and repeatability.  Learning the value of a 12 dollar sling made me skip wanting all the expensive slings out there.

They work with you with whatever you show up with, but read the details cause some ranges don't like odds and ends.

Appleseed has been mentioned on this site and is not something that is brand new.  

Very low pressure educational class and a bit of history of this country tossed in.

Garand works for the centerfire classes and its sights are awesome once you learn their potential.  

I never knew what I did not know.

Some of the above discussion made me think some folks might wanna look into some odds and ends.

I like my ar15s for how light they are but yeah spare bolts and other parts galore are how I look at em.  Same with glock.  Easy to replace parts and you might do well to keep that in mind for springs especially.  

1911 or garand, if the owner knows his tools and cares for his tools then his tools will outlast him with little need for a zillion spare parts.

I own glocks and ar15s and pick on em, so above is not expert testimony just my opinion on spares and more spares and even if 1911 and garand are around I want spares.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I had quite the summer. Made it from the gulf coast, to the east coast, to the west coast, and now back in Texas. Got to wander over a lot of country and catch a bunch of fish.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Page / 80
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top