Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2010 7:12:14 AM EDT

1975 $4900.00

Very little rust, nothing is rusted through. Not beat up but not very well maintained either, leaks a little, engine compartment/transmition has a nice build up of old oil. 50,000 miles IIRC.

No, I'm probably not going to buy it but I want it
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:30:06 AM EDT
That's not a bad price at all for that FJ. Very little rust is a plus on those. Plus it's got the hardtop, back doors and tailgate. You could put $10k in it and have a $20k vehicle.

Here's my '75. Did a front disc brake conversion, added power steering, Auburn locker, 4" lift and 33x10.5.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:37:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Fuggit:
That's not a bad price at all for that FJ. Very little rust is a plus on those. Plus it's got the hardtop, back doors and tailgate. You could put $10k in it and have a $20k vehicle.

Here's my '75. Did a front disc brake conversion, added power steering, Auburn locker, 4" lift and 33x10.5.

http://i33.tinypic.com/25ggbag.jpg

WOW that thing is sweet!!!

I'm considering selling my 99 f150. It has 80k miles, I rarely drive it. If the FJ is road worthy I might do it. I'd use anything over that I get from selling the truck to pay down my divorce. After that, I could fix it up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:18:50 AM EDT
saving up to buy one of these as we speak.

I want the diesel!
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:30:43 AM EDT
i miss my 66' at times...

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:13:01 AM EDT
I had an '81 diesel (same truck, but called the BJ40) when I lived in Costa Rica. It was one of the bonuses to moving down there, that I looked forward to.

I was disappointed. These are very rough trucks. More akin to farm work, than highway driving. Even in moderate weather, the amount of heat coming up from the floorboards was ridiculous. They don't handle very well, and a lot of little things kept breaking on it.

I was happy the day I sold it and bought an early model Pathfinder. YMMV.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:13:44 AM EDT
Here's a picture of mine:

http://www.vintagelandcruiser.com
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:03:33 PM EDT
I had a 76. The 76 and newer ones have front disc brakes and a different motor. You would want to upgrade to disc brakes and replace the factory carb with a Weber.

Grove
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:46:52 PM EDT
The rust that you can't see is the rust you need to worry about....Toyota frames are well known to rust from the inside out...
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:17:40 PM EDT
I miss the two I've had- never should have sold the last one.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:51:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scootr29:
The rust that you can't see is the rust you need to worry about....Toyota frames are well known to rust from the inside out...

LMAO....wanna know what was solid on my 66'

the frame...,,,,the body.....well....lets just say you get some extra flex when the body isnt exactly connected to the frame
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2010 7:30:07 PM EDT by TheOTHERmaninblack]
$5K? Wasn't that about what that thing sold for new?

I very nearly bought one back in '78, but it was just too damned small. While I was at the dealer, I sat in a Celica coupe (the swoopy Mustang looking one), and with the seat all the way back, my head was pressed into the headliner. I ended up with a Plymouth and never looked back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:39:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mark75101:

1975 $4900.00

Very little rust, nothing is rusted through. Not beat up but not very well maintained either, leaks a little, engine compartment/transmition has a nice build up of old oil. 50,000 miles IIRC.

Where did you see it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:21:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cmdr_Zero:

1975 $4900.00

Where did you see it?

Livingston
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:20:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Grove:
I had a 76. The 76 and newer ones have front disc brakes and a different motor. You would want to upgrade to disc brakes and replace the factory carb with a Weber.

Grove

The 2F motor was the standard motor from 75-84.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:39:28 AM EDT
Is it possible to swap in an automatic transmission to a Land cruiser?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:19:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HAIRBEAR:

Sure you can, and while you are there go ahead and install a 350. More power, better mileage, and no clutch––what's not to luv.

There was a series of articles about a swap project landcruiser published in one of the 4x4 magazines back in the 80's. You might be able to look it up on google books.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:00:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PA22-400:

Sure you can, and while you are there go ahead and install a 350. More power, better mileage, and no clutch––what's not to luv.

There was a series of articles about a swap project landcruiser published in one of the 4x4 magazines back in the 80's. You might be able to look it up on google books.

That was pretty popular around here. Seems like a great idea but can the drivetrain handle it?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 1:30:06 PM EDT by M-1975]

Originally Posted By PA22-400:

That was pretty popular around here. Seems like a great idea but can the drivetrain handle it?

My brother put one in his. SM420 4 speed with granny low 1st gear and a stock Toyota transfer case. Says it has a BJ70 Australian rear axle with a factory cable locker and disc brakes, with 4:88 gears in both front and rear. Even stretched the wheel base 7".

Oh yeah, it has the stock FJ40 front axle with Toyota truck outers and disc brakes, with longfield inner axles and a lockrite lockers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:23:58 PM EDT

1975 $4900.00

Where did you see it?

Livingston
My Aunt and Uncle are in Livingston... Hmmmm

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:36:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SEWERAT:

1975 $4900.00

Where did you see it?

Livingston
My Aunt and Uncle are in Livingston... Hmmmm

If you want them to look at it for you, tell them its at the lot by the underpass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 1:43:23 PM EDT by Hawk_308]
If I was going to put a Chevy motor in it it would be a 4.3 , a little lighter and has a more realistic hp rating for a vehicle that size . On the trail HP is a joke unless your in deep gumbo mud and need to clean 44" boggers .A nice little V6 fits jeeps and FJs great with out killing the rest of the drive train.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:45:08 PM EDT
I had a 78. Great truck. Ran good, got about 18 MPG, drove really good. The frame was rusted out though, and I found someone that wanted it more than I wanted to fix it. Was a good truck though. I went in places no truck should with that old FJ.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:26:06 PM EDT
plus one one the 4.3 i have one in my cj-7 and i love it....i did some thinning of the herd and that is the only vehicle i kept
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:36:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:15:43 PM EDT
Everything you need for conversions can be found here. http://advanceadapters.com/

I did a conversion of a SM420 to the Toyota transfer case (which is pretty much bullet proof).

R.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:27:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By freemanesq:
Everything you need for conversions can be found here. http://advanceadapters.com/

I did a conversion of a SM420 to the Toyota transfer case (which is pretty much bullet proof).

R.

Yep Im in the process of doing a 4.3 TBI , SM420 into my jeep . I like my olf huricane but she doesnt have enough hp to push it up to 60 any more and if I do need a part I have to always order it , not so with a 4.3 .
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:37:32 PM EDT
I just bought a clean old 1990 Land Cruiser.
I intend to fix it up a bit and make it a daily driver/Bug Out with the family vehicle.
I kept my daily driver/hunting rig, a 99 4x4 Nissan Frontier extended cab though.
It is an excellent truck. It's drawback being that it is just not big enough for more than two people.
Both of them are exceptional offroaders. The old Land Cruiser just chugs right up the steep terrain in 4 low.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:29:48 PM EDT

What gives man?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1940064289.html
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:36:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

What gives man?

I've got the muscle car jones. I've wanted a classic for decades. Momma won't let me have both. I'm looking for a big block 67-69 Camaro, a big block Chevelle or an E body Mopar. The FJ is awesome, but it's time for something else. By the way, I'll take $16k. I've got over $22k in it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:42:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By freemanesq:

R.

Cool!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:12:29 AM EDT
my father has a '72 iirc the last year with the short ambulance style split doors and the folding top hatch. 32-33,000 original miles, the spare tire has never been off the carrier, and the plastic baggies the factory put over the vinyl folddown sun shades to keep the dust from discoloring the white vinyl are still in place, and the frame was coated and should be in good shape(i know because when i was about 10 dad said lets play a game. take this can of undercoating and this brush, now go paint the frame under there. seemed fun to me at the time, i guess meanial labor in confined spaces is a great reason to procreate) that was 21 years ago now though. iirc i saw the original bill of sale/invoice once and the sale price was $3200...

the down side is the body has some cancer in the "usual" places, it's been bondos and repainted once but we all know that stuff doesn't last forever. and it's ben parked under trees(to keep it out of the sun) for a number of years, so it's growing a nice shade of foilage green colored funk over large portions of the body...

it still runs well(once a touch of ether gets it started) and dad still drives it every year when we get snow...

i'm sure that since dad has been unemployed for a couple months now he may be willing to come off whatever the asking price he had in his head was a bit, and as usual everything is for sale for the right price...

K.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:59:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

What gives man?

I've got the muscle car jones. I've wanted a classic for decades. Momma won't let me have both. I'm looking for a big block 67-69 Camaro, a big block Chevelle or an E body Mopar. The FJ is awesome, but it's time for something else. By the way, I'll take $16k. I've got over $22k in it.

I'm totally with you on the Chevelle. Always wanted one since I was a teenager. Good luck with the sale, it's a damn fine looking FJ.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:10:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kar15:
my father has a '72 iirc the last year with the short ambulance style split doors and the folding top hatch. 32-33,000 original miles, the spare tire has never been off the carrier, and the plastic baggies the factory put over the vinyl folddown sun shades to keep the dust from discoloring the white vinyl are still in place, and the frame was coated and should be in good shape(i know because when i was about 10 dad said lets play a game. take this can of undercoating and this brush, now go paint the frame under there. seemed fun to me at the time, i guess meanial labor in confined spaces is a great reason to procreate) that was 21 years ago now though. iirc i saw the original bill of sale/invoice once and the sale price was $3200...

the down side is the body has some cancer in the "usual" places, it's been bondos and repainted once but we all know that stuff doesn't last forever. and it's ben parked under trees(to keep it out of the sun) for a number of years, so it's growing a nice shade of foilage green colored funk over large portions of the body...

it still runs well(once a touch of ether gets it started) and dad still drives it every year when we get snow...

i'm sure that since dad has been unemployed for a couple months now he may be willing to come off whatever the asking price he had in his head was a bit, and as usual everything is for sale for the right price...

K.

PM me a price and some pictures.
Top Top