Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2015 11:05:07 PM EDT
I snagged a white gas stove (the classic green one) and two of the classic Colman lanterns at a garage sale. While I do have some white gas for camping what I'd really like them to be able to run on is kerosene. I have a ton of K1 as its my preferred SHTF and storage fuel.

Some basic internet research suggests that a modification for the stove is possible. In this thread the OP posts that he used extra burner plates to fatten up the burners. Once that was done all he needed to do was pre-heat the gas generator for a few minutes to get the kerosene to gas form and then start as normal. In this thread the same OP breaks down the reason he needed to fatten up the burners and dives into a couple other techniques he used to preheat the generator.

Have any of you done this before? I'm also interested in a simple trough fabrication that will allow me to heat the generator. How did you do it?

If I can get the stove converted successfully the next project would be to modify the two lanterns I have to run on kerosene. I've done a lot less research but it looks like this guy pretty much has it figured out. I'd probably need to buy a few parts.

All in all this could eliminate a fuel that I need to store and give even more utility to my favorite fuel KEROSENE!

The stove (not my picture):

The lanterns (also not my picture):
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#1]
A good idea would be to buy some old gear at auctions or garage sales and test this on them first.  I passed up on a few the other day when I bought a Sears 2 gallon stainless sprayer for $1.50.  I keep my good white gas stoves and lanterns aside with some fuel but rarely use them anymore.  I was looking at them the other day thinking they are damn near relics due to the cost of the fuel.

I am testing some of my outdoor torches this weekend with Kero.  I don't know why it took me until 2015 to think of this but FIB/tourist prices for citronella oil made me get creative.  I admit I love kero too.

PS I just had a dumbass moment, I think my Peak 1 multi fuel stove will work with kero.  I will have to pull out the generator and swap it to try it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
A little off the subject, but I have a similar stove with the gray tank (multi fuel white gas and gasoline).  Could that one be readily converted to kero or possibly even run on kero with no mods?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#3]
If your coleman stove is a multi fuel it will typically burn white gas (coleman fuel) or unleaded gas.  To burn Kero there is a different generator tube you swap out.  I keep mine in a mini Chuck box that stays in my truck so I can use unleaded ethanol free gas from my truck or chainsaws if needed.  I keep the kero generator in the kit but have never used it.  I never bought it to use kero.  If it works I will buy more and convert them, keeping my original gear, as is.

If you have the right model and don't have the kero generator you just need to buy it.  

We live an a time where a lot of old timers are passing on and their grandchildren don't feel the need to keep Gramps shotguns or gear.  Coleman stuff can be found used and cheap everywhere.  Good idea to.at least try this.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
it has been a long time, late 50's, but a friend's Dad soldered a section of "U" shaped small diameter copper tubing to a pump type oil can to fill the primer cup with alcohol...
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your coleman stove is a multi fuel it will typically burn white gas (coleman fuel) or unleaded gas.  To burn Kero there is a different generator tube you swap out.  I keep mine in a mini Chuck box that stays in my truck so I can use unleaded ethanol free gas from my truck or chainsaws if needed.  I keep the kero generator in the kit but have never used it.  I never bought it to use kero.  If it works I will buy more and convert them, keeping my original gear, as is.

If you have the right model and don't have the kero generator you just need to buy it.  

We live an a time where a lot of old timers are passing on and their grandchildren don't feel the need to keep Gramps shotguns or gear.  Coleman stuff can be found used and cheap everywhere.  Good idea to.at least try this.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A little off the subject, but I have a similar stove with the gray tank (multi fuel white gas and gasoline).  Could that one be readily converted to kero or possibly even run on kero with no mods?
View Quote

White gas and unleaded have similar burn properties both which are a ways off of kerosene. Based off what I've read it probably would work but would be finicky and tricky to light. The main issue with kerosene is that it must be heated until it turns into gas before it will light. This means the generator must be preheated substantially before you can light the stove. White gas will burn as a liquid until the generator heats up it just has a sloppy yellow flame during the process. If you read the links the OP goes into some detail about how the stove jet puts out too much fuel to run a single burner correctly which is why he added extra burn plates. With both burners running the fuel supply was better balanced and would run unmodified as I'm sure yours would. Of course this still does not get you away from the preheat issue.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got 2 Coleman 425 dual fuels I wouldn't mind picking up kero generator tubes for. Do you have a source for them?

I looked on eBay and did a quick search but didn't come up with anything.

Just to add a little info to this thread, I've run one of my stoves in stock form on alcohol before just to see how it would do. It was a little tricky at first to light and keep going but once it got going it worked great.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Not worth the time or trouble for the mod. Just use regular gasoline (like I have for the last 40 years).
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure why you don't just find kerosene versions of the same items. Why fiddle with them? For starters, they're less efficient than the modern versions, and were never terribly great to begin with. They are fairly tough, but nothing special. Personally, I'd look at the need and then look at ways to meet that need using K1 rather than starting with a product and trying to make it fit.

You need to cook. Ok, a kerosene stove makes sense if that is what you have stored. It doesn't have to be terribly portable since if you have to start hauling fuel with you the quantity drops to the point you could just keep coleman fuel around in that amount and be done with it.

You want light, what for? room light? light to read or cook by? Light to work on equipment after dark? What is the goal here. For everything but lighting up a room you are better served with other products that run off batteries and take up a fraction of the space and weight even after adding enough batteries to equal several gallons of fuel in run time, if not more. A fuel powered lantern is still one of the best long term options for lighting up a room though.

Assuming you aren't looking to just cook for one, I'd find a larger kerosene powered stove and as many kerosene lanters as you want. Buy extras of the consumable things like wicks, pumps and seals. I'm guessing you already have heaters that run off the stuff and have spare parts for those.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not sure why you don't just find kerosene versions of the same items. Why fiddle with them? For starters, they're less efficient than the modern versions, and were never terribly great to begin with. They are fairly tough, but nothing special. Personally, I'd look at the need and then look at ways to meet that need using K1 rather than starting with a product and trying to make it fit.

You need to cook. Ok, a kerosene stove makes sense if that is what you have stored. It doesn't have to be terribly portable since if you have to start hauling fuel with you the quantity drops to the point you could just keep coleman fuel around in that amount and be done with it.

You want light, what for? room light? light to read or cook by? Light to work on equipment after dark? What is the goal here. For everything but lighting up a room you are better served with other products that run off batteries and take up a fraction of the space and weight even after adding enough batteries to equal several gallons of fuel in run time, if not more. A fuel powered lantern is still one of the best long term options for lighting up a room though.

Assuming you aren't looking to just cook for one, I'd find a larger kerosene powered stove and as many kerosene lanters as you want. Buy extras of the consumable things like wicks, pumps and seals. I'm guessing you already have heaters that run off the stuff and have spare parts for those.
View Quote

Yep...

Except...

"A fuel powered lantern is still one of the best long term options for lighting up a room though."

Nope...

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep...

Except...

"A fuel powered lantern is still one of the best long term options for lighting up a room though."

Nope...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...

Except...

Nope...

I imagine you're thinking one of the LED units, but I was mostly thinking in terms of being able to keep it running by replacing parts that wear out and not needing additional batteries. If he's storing a lot of kerosene then a lantern that uses it is a logical option. It isn't going to be as bright as the new LED stuff, but it's enough light to supply a decent sized room with ambient light for multiple people to function in. For example, a kitchen light for a late or early meal with multiple people where it's enough light without having half a dozen different head lamps or flashlights going as personal lights.

Honestly, I'm in favor of the LED version, particularly if you go truly state of the art and get the ones that put out a similar amount of light for a couple hundred hours on a couple AA's, but they aren't tag sale cheap and they aren't really user servicable. They also require some way to recharge or replace batteries, which adds to the complexity. I would never poo poo a good fuel lantern as an area light, it just isn't the BEST option available anymore.

To each their own. I take a more limited view of disaster. If it's so bad I'm worried about serious long term use I am probably not too concerned with what I had on hand so much as what I know and who I know and am working with.For me, efficient battery power is fine. I need enough juice for a few days without significantly added weight or just as importantly bulk. Whether on foot or by car, my limiting factor will be volume more than weight. Sorry to all the ammo fort folks, mine just isn't that big and if I'm trying to haul everything like that I'd have time to get the use of a much larger vehicle where putting everything I own in the back wouldn't even be a noticeable difference in weight for the truck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top