Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2007 7:30:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think that a condom would hold about 13 ounces of water, which could be a beneficial tool if you were placed in a "survival" situation.

Edited for typo
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would think that a condom would hold about 3 ounces of water, which could be a beneficial tool if you were placed in a "survival" situation.

Condoms stretch to hold at least 16 ounces of water.

You can also start a fire with the water filled condom.

LINK
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Condoms can stretch a lot and hold a lot of water when filled under pressure.  In college we would fill them with water and throw them at people.  Stupid things that would now get you kicked out.

I think there are better ways to transport water.  They roll around, and break at inopportune times.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would think that a condom would hold about 3 ounces of water, which could be a beneficial tool if you were placed in a "survival" situation.

Thats cause you're using the small size, on the shelf look to the left and they have regular and large sizes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LINK

oops, I meant to type 13
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Condoms can stretch a lot and hold a lot of water when filled under pressure.  In college we would fill them with water and throw them at people.  Stupid things that would now get you kicked out.

I think there are better ways to transport water.  They roll around, and break at inopportune times.

A helicopter is Better to have in a survival situation than your boots. What is better and what you have is often very different.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LINK

oops, I meant to type 13

ah...that makes more sense.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I've heard it about condoms a hundred times or more but I still keep ziplocks in my pack instead.

I'm not going to fuck some skank while I'm bugged out from my house during a chemical spill or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#10]
In before this turns into the "I've got the largest dick as long as i'm on the internet posting" thread.

-MEI

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LINK

oops, I meant to type 13

Riiiight! Nice save.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
In before this turns into the "I've got the largest dick as long as i'm on the internet posting" thread.

-MEI

HAT?he
Why tampons? They are good fire starters and you can use it (god forbid) to plug wounds when you are in deep doo-doo...
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LINK

oops, I meant to type 13

Riiiight! Nice save.

I did!  I really, really did
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Ditto on the ziplocks.

Remember running around with a water balloon only to have it bust in your hand? A condom is alot thinner. It would hold more water, but would seem to bust alot easier when filled.

Try filling a condom from a water source other than a running faucet or a tap. You need to get a little pressure going to fill it up. What if there is no running water?

If you have a decent sized water source you can drag/swish the condom around several times to fill it up, but then you would need both hands to support it and carry it around once it is filled. What if you need to set it down for a minute to take a piss? Yeah, I'm hung like that so I need both hands.

The condom suggestion came from the SAS survival manual. I'm guessing that this was based off of stuff they did during the 60's-80's in SAS whereas ziplocks are a more recent type of thing. I only had the fold-top sandwich bags as a kid.

I'm not shooting down Lofty's kit or his knowledge, it is good stuff but I use it as a base and adapt it to my anticipated situation and needs. I would rather carry a lighter with me than a few matches.

My suggestion would be test it out first (as with all your gear) before you rely on it. Go to your local park/campground for a few hours/weekend and give it a shot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess i just never been thirsty enough to even consider drinking from a condom ...
a ziplock or one of the small platypus seems like a much better option to me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I guess i just never been thirsty enough to even consider drinking from a condom ...

I agree, a zip-lock bag would hold more, be less prone to break, is resealable, and wouldn't have the nasty images going through mind.  Drawback - it's a touch bigger - but I can live with that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's just latex...like a glove. I wouldn't suggest carrying around a used condom for this purpose.

I agree a small paltypus is better for water carry. However, a condom is small enough in it's package you can put it someplace on your person where you will never become seperated from it in an emergency. Most people aren't carrying platys on their person. they're in a pack of some sort.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, a zip-lock bag would hold more, be less prone to break, is resealable, and wouldn't have the nasty images going through mind.  Drawback - it's a touch bigger - but I can live with that.

I'm not sure I agree with this without objective testing. In ym mind condom material seems more resilient than even freezer bag material.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's just latex...like a glove. I wouldn't suggest carrying around a used condom for this purpose.

I agree a small paltypus is better for water carry. However, a condom is small enough in it's package you can put it someplace on your person where you will never become seperated from it in an emergency. Most people aren't carrying platys on their person. they're in a pack of some sort.

Platys fold up and weigh very little....... sport platy  or 1 liter
if you cant fit one of those on you folded up i guess it's ziplock or condom time.

I guess i'm just not big on a pocket kit unless i'm in a really remote area a knife, firestarter, flashlight usually do it for me (most everything else you can improvise)..... most places finding a bottle or a can or something to transport water in is pretty easy and while i wouldn't want to i'd just as soon drink after someone i didn't know as out of a condom.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Platys fold up and weigh very little....... sport platy  or 1 liter
if you cant fit one of those on you folded up i guess it's ziplock or condom time.

I guess i'm just not big on a pocket kit unless i'm in a really remote area a knife, firestarter, flashlight usually do it for me (most everything else you can improvise)..... most places finding a bottle or a can or something to transport water in is pretty easy and while i wouldn't want to i'd just as soon drink after someone i didn't know as out of a condom.

Trust me, I know all about platys. I own about 10 of them in various sizes and places...including one I fold up and pee into when in my tree stand. I wasn't saying they weren't fantastic. Just that I never have one in my pocket. A packaged condom could be in your wallet if ever separated from your pack...or separated from your wife.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#21]
A water filled condom is a lot less prone to breakage if you place it in a sock before filling it.

First condoms, now socks...
Where will this lead next?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#23]
there's an episode of JAG where the admiral ejects from an F14 over the mountains of VA
he melts ice that's on a big rock by heating smaller rocks in a fire and catches the run off in a condom from the survival kit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top