Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2014 4:29:40 PM EST
Anyone know about how many feet of fence a 50' roll of concertina wire will cover?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:57:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/9/2014 4:58:51 PM EST by wshbrngr]
Originally Posted By johnstonblake:
Anyone know about how many feet of fence a 50' roll of concertina wire will cover?
View Quote

50' ?
I mean they are 50' long.
But for sure 35-40'
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:59:22 PM EST
It's been a long time since I messed with concertina wire, but If memory serves, it should cover 50 feet.

Not sure what you are asking OP.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:01:37 PM EST
I'm talking about coiled up concertina at the top of the fence, not running it straight.

I found some rolls of 4' x 50' of wire, and was wondering how much perimeter they'd cover being coiled up.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:05:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/9/2014 5:08:38 PM EST by cmw]
Originally Posted By johnstonblake:
View Quote

If you want coils laid out on top of the fence 50" linear feet of wire won't stretch very far at all.

If your roll/coil is one foot in diameter and you lay out the coils at the recommended one foot increments you will get 15 feet of coverage out of 50 linear feet of razor wire.

ETA:

4 foot diameter coils? 50 linear feet coiled into 4 foot diameter rolls won't go anywhere -each loop of the coil is 12.5" of wire.

Each one would be great for a doorway.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:27:31 PM EST
Ok, I guess these rolls aren't for fences then. I'll wait on a smaller diameter roll. Thanks for the help though, roughly 15' of coverage out of 50' of a one foot diameter roll gives me an idea of how much I need. Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:41:01 AM EST
From http://www.academyfence.com/industrial-fence/razor-wire/

Razor Barbed Wire offers the ultimate in high perimeter security for indoor and outdoor property protection. (Also know as Razor Ribbon, Helical, Security Barbed Tape or Concertina Wire) It is available in 18" stainless steel razor wire coils which are designed to cover up to 50 linear feet. The coils are stretched out like a 'slinky' and can cover up to 50', although expanding beyond 33 feet will reduce effectiveness. Stainless steel is preferred to achieve a strong long lasting solution.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:33:48 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wendelsnatch:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Razor Barbed Wire offers the ultimate in high perimeter security for indoor and outdoor property protection. (Also know as Razor Ribbon, Helical, Security Barbed Tape or Concertina Wire) It is available in 18" stainless steel razor wire coils which are designed to cover up to 50 linear feet. The coils are stretched out like a 'slinky' and can cover up to 50', although expanding beyond 33 feet will reduce effectiveness. Stainless steel is preferred to achieve a strong long lasting solution.

Seems usage is going to depend on labeling.

Big difference between 50' of wire and 50' of coverage.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:23:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By cmw:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cmw:

My understanding is that it is max 50' of coverage with wide loops as opposed to 33' with close spaced loops.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:30:59 PM EST
I want to get something like 4 foot diameter razor wire.

I figure that height will give the illusion that they can maybe figure out a way through it, and mess up badly.

If I got some to big, people would just back off and think of a different plan altogether.
Would suck if someone had bangalores in their back pocket.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:55:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2014 11:57:13 AM EST by Former11BRAVO]
I don't know if you guys saw, but at the link posted above they have "fire damaged" rolls they say are still in good shape - for $25/roll.

"Okay shaped" for $18!

I can't afford any right now, but you can bet I'm bookmarking the link. I've got a couple decent-sized rolls of regular barbed wire on hand for tanglefoot but I would love to add a dozen or so rolls of "proper" razor wire, as I have a few areas I'd like to "deny" to anyone snooping/looking to gain tactical advantage (post 'event').

Crazy?

Yup. Like a fox!

ETA: Ahh . . . the memories.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:00:30 AM EST
Remember that obstacles not under direct observation are only deterents. If you don't stop someone they will breach at some point. Roving patrols to check for breaks in the wire and observation posts are the only way to use wire effectively.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:33:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
Remember that obstacles not under direct observation are only deterents. If you don't stop someone they will breach at some point. Roving patrols to check for breaks in the wire and observation posts are the only way to use wire effectively.
View Quote

Depends on what your objective is.

If your objective is access denial then you need observation.

If you are using it to restrict movement or to funnel movement into another area then direct observation of the obstacle is not mandatory. Only observation of the zone of directed movement.

Concertina sucks.
Top Top