Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 3/18/2013 12:01:27 PM EDT
Has anyone ever dealt with putting a repeater onto a commercial tower site such as a TV station? Just wondering what all is involved with that and how you approach the licensee.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:08:47 PM EDT
The local club here has a repeater on a commercial FM broadcast tower. From what I understand it wasn't that big of a deal, someone just called them and asked them. We are well down the tower from their antenna to avoid any problems.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:46:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HarryStone:
The local club here has a repeater on a commercial FM broadcast tower. From what I understand it wasn't that big of a deal, someone just called them and asked them. We are well down the tower from their antenna to avoid any problems.

You know if they are paying tower or outbuilding fees?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:58:34 PM EDT
Every site is different

some will Give free space to hams others treat them like any other paying customer

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:16:31 PM EDT
At Field Day a few years ago the chief engineer for one of the TV stations came out. Turns out he was a ham and wanted to help us out. As it happened we were actively looking for a place to put a new D-STAR repeater and didn't have a lot of high options. He worked it out for us to put it on their old tower. It had been decommissioned when they switched to digital. The whole building was being gutted so aside from a few odds and ends they left behind it was ours for the taking. We had the full tower up to 1000' or so. We decided to put it at 800' to save some of the hardline. The best part was that they already had a crew taking down all of the old waveguide so they ran our hardline and installed the antennas for free.

Unfortunately the installation had some issues. The guy that donated the hardline and repeater ran all types of tests and I'm not sure whether it was the hardline or the antenna but sadly it was cheaper to walk away from it than hire a crew to go back up. Had that not cropped up the building was ours for free.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:19:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Foxxz:
Originally Posted By HarryStone:

You know if they are paying tower or outbuilding fees?

Nope it's donated.
Top Top