Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 7/29/2009 12:13:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/29/2009 12:15:58 PM EST by Topper1]
I'm considering purchasing a climbing stand this year for bow hunting.

The one I'm looking at has a safety rail on it. I have never used a climber before.

Am I asking for trouble trying to bow hunt out of a stand like this?

EDIT: Just saw the bow hunting section. Gonna post over there too. Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:04:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/29/2009 5:14:54 PM EST by supremeweasel67]

Originally Posted By Topper1:
I'm considering purchasing a climbing stand this year for bow hunting.

The one I'm looking at has a safety rail on it. I have never used a climber before.

Am I asking for trouble trying to bow hunt out of a stand like this?

EDIT: Just saw the bow hunting section. Gonna post over there too. Thanks for looking.

Bow hunting from a climber is a good thing.
It gives you the option to relocate in order to be in the right place at the right time, if the deer deviate from the pattern you have been watching.

As for the shooting rail, I have never had one on my climber, but could see both the good and bad of having one.
I have a API Grand Slam Extreme, and you really don't want to fall asleep in that thing, or you might nose dive out of it.
ALWAYS were a safety harnes ( The first time the teeth on the stand slip, you will understand).
Shooting rail could cause some close in shots to be impossible. Pratice from stand prior to hunting.

If your climber use the "Key Pins", make sure you have some spares in your pocket/kit bag. (The higher you climb, the smaller the tree gets. So you readjust the "chain" and accidently drop a pin. NOW WHAT?) That is the reason for the extra pin.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 3:49:47 PM EST
Started bowhunting two years ago, took my first archery deer with a climber last year. Huge buck. I got a cheap gorilla climber on closeout from walmart for $50 the year before. Best money I ever spent. Options are greatly increased with a climber. I could only get 10' up in this particular tree, but it was in a perfect low pressure spot. They never had a clue. It was a 6 yard shot off to the side, so I had no problem with the shooting/climbing rail.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 4:32:33 PM EST
Thanks for the input guys. Really appreciate it.

Shane
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 5:35:49 AM EST
I do the vast majority of my archery hunting out of a Summit Viper - probably 18-20' up. The front bar has never been an issue for me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:12:17 AM EST
+1 to Summit

I have a Summit Goliath and its a great stand.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:32:54 AM EST
Thanks for the tips guys. Sounds like Summit makes a good stand.

If I go ahead with the Viper I'll post back on the results.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:36:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By dbd870:
I do the vast majority of my archery hunting out of a Summit Viper - probably 18-20' up. The front bar has never been an issue for me.

same here. very comfortable stand too (i have gotten some of my best sleep 20ft up in my Viper, LOL). I bought a set of mollie pack straps off of e-bay and fashioned them up to my stand and am able to carry it very well. Couple of years ago I was hunting exclusively public land in MI and was able to carry the stand 1.5 mile in and out each day with out problem.

J-

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:13:38 AM EST
Top Top