Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 3:01:15 PM EDT
I bought some multicam and it's not nearly as effective as I thought it would be, colors are way to bright and not enough green. Woodland doesn't seem to work all that well either. So after looking around more I think Cadpat would work much better since the colors in it look to be similar to much of the vegetation in my area.

Where would I get BDUs and other gear like that in Cadpat?
Do you have any suggestions on other patterns that might work well?

What most of the Area looks like:

Almost looks "ghost" like in the forest.

OD:

Woodland:

Only examples I have of mossy Oak:

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]

try tiger stripe
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Google search for "cadpat" produced the following from the first page:

www.hdesert.com/cgi-bin/highdesert/store/commerce.cgi?product=cadpat

Here's an ebay search link for "cadpat", usually a good variety of items on there:
search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=cadpat&category0=

Searching Canadian ebay is also productive:
search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=cadpat&category0=
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I'd say CATPAT would blend in better there than MultiCam or even woodland.

Down in south Texas, MultiCam works just about everywhere except the really green areas (certain regions during certain times of the year). In those cases, flektarn blends in really well.

Your mileage obviously varies.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Man thats green.Does the foliage stay that green or does it mellow before fall?Maybe look at  Thai ERDL.Its costly but its almost that green.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:43:43 AM EDT
[#5]
am i missing smething or is there a good reason why plain ole O.D. wouldn't be an option?..

i mean it would definatelly be better than the multicam, and i can think of a few other good reasons:
*O.D. has to be about the cheapest option as far as fatigues,
*should be plenty of old mil surp green fatigues and plenty other mil gear in surplus stores/online i'm sure,
*you wouldn't be limited to just mil fatigues/gear O.D. is a pretty popular color for damn near every outdoor bit of kit/clothes imaginable,
*you wouldn't nessessarily look like g.i.fuckingrambo if you were spotted pre-s.h.t.f. even if armed, and may not apear as much of a threat if spotted or if you need to make contact with paranoid friedlies post-s.h.t.f..

i love multicam and mil gear/wear also but in O.D. or folliage cargos and a long sleeve shir or jacket your just a guy out on a walk or hunting or camping or just enjoying the outdoors, as opposed to multicam screaming "oh shit, you actully spotted me, now i'm gonna stick out like a sore thumb and have no real good reason to explain why i'm out here dressed like this"...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:44:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
am i missing smething or is there a good reason why plain ole O.D. wouldn't be an option?..

i mean it would definatelly be better than the multicam, and i can think of a few other good reasons:
*should be plenty of old mil surp green fatigues and plenty other mil gear in surplus stores/online i'm sure,
*you wouldn't be limited to just mil fatigues/gear O.D. is a pretty popular color for damn near every outdoor bit of kit/clothes imaginable,
*you wouldn't nessessarily look like g.i.fuckingrambo if you were spotted pre-s.h.t.f. even if armed, and may not apear as much of a threat if spotted or if you need to make contact with paranoid friedlies post-s.h.t.f..

i love multicam and mil gear/wear also but in O.D. or folliage cargos and a long sleeve shir or jacket your just a guy out on a walk or hunting or camping or just enjoying the outdoors, as opposed to multicam screaming "oh shit, you actully spotted me, now i'm gonna stick out like a sore thumb and have no real good reason to explain why i'm out here dressed like this"...

Unlike most places in the lower 48, camouflage is pretty common since a lot of people here hunt, and there are A LOT of people from out of town every year that come for fishing (sport/commercial), hunting,camping,etc.

Rifles and shotguns wont raise any eyebrows either around here so I can pretty much wear and carry whatever and people don't notice much.

Guess those are a few of the advantages of living in rural Alaska
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't know about Virginia, but here in Texas I haven't gone a single day of my life without seeing someone wearing some article of camouflage clothing in public. Often I'll wear camo pants, a t-shirt, or my Night Desert jacket if it's cool enough. Camo is a way of life out here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you thought about Predator Camo in Spring Green or Green Deception?

I use both bow and rifle hunting here in Oregon, and it works exceptionally well. I know it's not tactical or military but I can't say enough good things about the patterns. I also use there Brown Deception while hunting in the high desert of Eastern Oregon and it works great as well. People kind of look at it funny until they see how well you blend in out in the field.

http://www.predatorcamo.com/

I really like the bowhunter jacket, has an awesome fit. Just a thought.

BT
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a few good pics of CADPAT in your type of area. Google CADPAT and the first pic is a good representation of what it does.

For the best quality and materials in a CADPAT uniform, go to:

www.dropzonetactical.com/aboutus.html

It's not cheap but it's great quality and good folks to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#10]
actully here in this part of Va.(shenandoah valley, over 130mi. from D.C.) camo clothing is definatelly good to go...

it's at least as likely to see folks wearing clothes patterened from real-tree to woodland and anything in between, as it is to see: northface, l.l. bean, american eagle, carthart, dickies, or anything else being sported by folks around here...

i guess i was actully taking it for granted that there are still plenty of other places around our ever shrinking country where camo won't draw too much if any attention...  

the cadpat is definatelly cool, i really like it. i hadn't actully seen any pics of it prior to reading this thread and googleing it, and it seems as though it would work well in the OP's AO. but i still don't think O.D. and or foliage green would be bad choices and would most likely be easier to find and likely cheaper...

cabelles fall/winter master catalogs generally have buttloads of camo patterns...

ETA: if you do like the multicam minus the fact that you say it's not green enough, you might take a qick look at the company atlanco "TRU-SPEC", they make all kinds of cheap(sometimes just in price, sometimes in authenticity, sometimes in quality[mainly color shades but had one pair of woodland trousers cut/sized a little funny throught the thighs]) knock-off BDU's and other mil "spec" gear. i looked at some multicam clone clothing in a commercial surplus store a while back that was made by them. i noticed right off that there was way more green in thier materil/pattern than their is in real crye multicam. also they have the older woodland style BDU pattern cut, not the newer patterned cut of the ACU's and real multicam. i avoided them based on the fact simply that they were "knock-offs", but the material and stiching seemed to be of pretty decent quality, and they were definatelly "greener" than actual multicam...

nevermind just checked their website, here. if the pictures are accurate they now have the colors much closer to being correct. that, or the surplus store i visited just had a poorly printed/dyed batch that were juat way to green for multicam. but they do offer a lot of other patterns, you might find something there that may work for you good luck...

ofcourse if you really want to blend in, why not a ghillie suit?..  you can find all kinds of stuff from instructions to photo galleries, and many many products for sale all here at ghillie suits dot com.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Snip

The OD and multicam jackets in my pictures are made by tru-spec.

Though the Multicam is made from genuine Crye multicam material.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#12]
It's pretty green here all the time. I wear ripstop cotton woodland, tiger stripe (original VN pattern), Dutch woodland (like the Brit DPM), and Flectarn, depending on the particular conditions.

I think it's well know by many, but I find it to be very important that camo - any camo - be well faded to be truly effective. Multicam is probably exempt from this because it looks faded when new...and that might be part of the reason for it's effectiveness. Look at animals in nature. None of them have color patterns that look just like the surrounding foliage, yet they blend in well...so well at times that you can't see them at all. That supposedly is what Crye was going for when they made Multicam - something that blends in and reflects the surroundings, not something that tries to looks exactly like the surroundings.

Just my $.0223 worth...YMMV...  
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#13]
ViaDolorosa I came across this while surfing the web and thought you might find it interesting.You will have to drag and drop the address.It wont let me hyperlink.Or I screwed up.Its a link the new Russian flectarn.

http://www.redsoldier.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3248/.f?sc=2&category=34
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
for your area, I would recommend   E.R.D.L.   camo   a late vietnam era woodland type pattern, it has the same cut and cloth as origianl ODs a cotton ripstop. it works very well in a lot of green, but it can only  be bought in a repro. cause the real stuff is a collectors item. here is where I get mine  www.mooremilitaria.com   go look and see what you think
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top