Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2011 1:21:14 PM EDT
I have started buying whole chicken fryers and breaking them down rather than buying the processed pieces.

What are some recipes for dealing with the chicken wings?

Right now I am just going to use them in the stock unless someone has a better idea.  I guess I could collect them and use them for occasional hot wings, but I don't know that I will eat enough of them to use them all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Alton Brown's are pretty tasty.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
hot wing mix

Super easy just coat and bake. I make these a lot fill a crock pot up and off to the party. Take a bottle of kens steakhouse blue cheese salad dressing and its on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Deleted
RIF
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Okay, I've cooked many dishes throughout the years, and cannot figure out why his recipe calls for steaming the wings, and then refrigerating them for an hour before cooking them.

Anyone have any idea?
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I've cooked many dishes throughout the years, and cannot figure out why his recipe calls for steaming the wings, and then refrigerating them for an hour before cooking them.

Anyone have any idea?

I believe it was done to remove some of the fat from the wings to make them a little bit crispier.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 4:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
take a little flour
put in some seasoning (salt/pepper/) and some Cayenne pepper

coat wings  (makes em a little crispier)
throw in deep fryer til they float.

remove, coat with favorite hot wing sauce

+1 for Ken's Steakhouse blue cheese and enjoy

quick fast easy good

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Franks Red Hot

Make your own bleu cheese.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Ding, ding, ding.  Franks Red hot is the correct answer.   Correct Buffalo wings are first deep fried.  Then, they come straight out of the fryer into a large mixing bowl.  In the bowl is a mixture of salted butter and franks hot sauce.  The heat from the wings causes the butter to melt.  Stir until well mixed and all of the wings are covered.  Adjust the amount of hot sauce to allow for hot, medium or mild wings.  It's as simple as that.  How do I know?  Well , I grew up in Buffalo and I'm old enough to have been around when Buffalo wings were first invented.  

Brett
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't care what anyone else on this forum says, do NOT do anything but deep fry the wings. If you do anything else, they will not be real wings, just cooked chicken parts.

I live just outside of Buffalo, so I've been eating real wings my whole life. I used to work in a local bar while in college and made them there too sometimes. There was a thread on ARFCOM a while back about wing recipes and most people baked them. That almost gave me chest pains and would get you run out of town here.

The recipe is very simple. All you need is the following:

Wings fresh or frozen ( I use frozen from Sam's Club, BJ's, Aldi's, etc)
1 stick of butter
Franks Redhot Wing sauce
Optional: 4 or 5 tablespoons of brown sugar (add to taste)

I usually use Canola oil for deep frying, but other types may work.

Let the wings thaw if frozen and then deep fry them for about 15 minutes or so, depending on how hot your oil stays. My family likes our wings extra crispy, so sometimes I let them go for 20 minutes or more. Point is, fry them long enough so they are crispy and not mushy.

While frying, melt one stick of butter in a large pot that has a lid. Add about 1/4 cup of Frank's Redhot Wing Sauce and mix with the melted butter. You can always add more or less Franks to taste.

Not many people do this, but I add about 4 or 5 tablespoons of brown sugar to the mix and melt it in. It gives the sauce a nice flavor.

This is a mild sauce, so you can add a little heat to it if you like with your favorite spices.

Drain the wings when done, but not on paper towels, and put them in the pot with your melted butter/sauce mixture. Put the lid on the pot and give the whole thing a good shake while holding the lid to coat the wings real well.

Serve with celery, carrot sticks, and Rooties Bleu cheese and you're done.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, a little bit of an update.

The only cooking device we had available was a charcoal grill.

So grill the wings (turning every few minutes) until the outsides are drier and getting a nice brown color.

Next toss the wings in Frank's Hot Wing Sauce (the premixed stuff).

Then back on the grill for a couple of minutes.

Then back in the sauce.

Serve with the condiments of your choice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Mantis,

Got back to Buffalo this past weekend and stopped at John and Mary's on Transit before leaving town.  Had to get my real food fix.  You wouldn't believe what they try to pass off downstate here as Buffalo Wings and real pizza.  People down here don't even have any idea what a beef on weck is.  Oh, and they close the schools down here before it snows, LOL

Brett
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mantis,

Got back to Buffalo this past weekend and stopped at John and Mary's on Transit before leaving town.  Had to get my real food fix.  You wouldn't believe what they try to pass off downstate here as Buffalo Wings and real pizza.  People down here don't even have any idea what a beef on weck is.  Oh, and they close the schools down here before it snows, LOL

Brett

I know what you mean. Been to John & Mary's many times. A good rule of thumb is if the place making wings calls them "Buffalo Wings" instead of just "Wings", then they probably aint. Just about any place within a 45 minute radius of the Anchor Bar makes decent wings. Beyond that and it's a crap shoot.

A good friend of mine moved from WNY to Colorado a few years ago and the first place he goes to when he comes home is Mighty Taco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top