Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 7:15:03 PM EDT
We have 5 hens, all are laying about once a day, brown eggs. I dont know what kind they are, two are white, 1 is brown, and 2 are black.

We also have a rooster. Someone gave my wife this rooster, dont know what kind he is either. He is smaller than the hens, brown with a little color on his tail.

The question is, What will the outcome be of the offspring since the rooster is a different breed than any of the hens? Would they still be decent egg layers? We were thinking of getting an incubator to hatch some eggs. We checked a few and from what I have seen online these eggs were fertilized.

I can have the wife take pics and post them if someone might be able to identify them.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
handy dandy chicken chart

use the above chart to determine egg laying rates of known crossbreeds.

since you dont know, you need to provide pictures.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you going to do with the roosters that hatch? Are you going to eat them or do you have a place to sell them to? Just something to think about as you only need one rooster and the extra will just be a pain to have around. The can be pretty aggressive in some cases.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What are you going to do with the roosters that hatch? Are you going to eat them or do you have a place to sell them to? Just something to think about as you only need one rooster and the extra will just be a pain to have around. The can be pretty aggressive in some cases.

Did not really think about that.  But would either raise them and eat them or give them away.

Not planning on doing many eggs, just 5 to 10 and it is mainly for my 3 kids to expierence it.  

Will post pics of the flock tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]
We've hatched some mutt chickens before.
Usually eat them after a couple months.
(Used a homemade incubator and hand turned for years, before going high tech)

Can sometimes sell them to certain ethnic groups for decent coin.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Rooster looks like an Auracauna or Easter Egger.
White hen looks like a White Rock. Brown egg
The solid red colored hen is a Rhode Island Red or Golden Comet. I think it's a RIR though. Brown egg.
All the others look like Auracauna's or EE's to me. Mine lay green eggs or a light brown to almost pink.

If your eggs are different colors you may have some mixed breeds.

Have fun with your hatching.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

We've hatched some mutt chickens before.

Usually eat them after a couple months.

(Used a homemade incubator and hand turned for years, before going high tech)

Can sometimes sell them to certain ethnic groups for decent coin.

Tell me about this Homemade incubator, would rather do that than spend the 40 bucks on the one my wife found at tractor supply.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Rooster looks like an Auracauna or Easter Egger.

White hen looks like a White Rock. Brown egg

The solid red colored hen is a Rhode Island Red or Golden Comet. I think it's a RIR though. Brown egg.

All the others look like Auracauna's or EE's to me. Mine lay green eggs or a light brown to almost pink.

If your eggs are different colors you may have some mixed breeds.

Have fun with your hatching.

Thanks for the ID,  All of the eggs are light brown to a darkish pink.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top