Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2011 9:23:44 AM EDT
I've been looking at cheap laptops for dedicated ham use.  Does anyone use one of these or one similar for Ham Radio Deluxe and the digi modes? I would be using it for internet surfing and basic stuff, no gaming. Any reccomendations in the $350 range?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I am NO computer expert...but the repair guy who rent's space in the same bldg as my wife says he sees less Toshiba's come through his shop than the rest.  So I bought my wife a Toshiba for $329!

It's here

that was back in January, and we've been really pleased so far.  

I'd guess you may need to go back to XP from the 7 that is installed???

anyways, for $329 it seems to be GTG.  I'm still using my 8y/o Dell Insprion 8600
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm using a 5 yr old Toshiba in my new shack. I shut down most of the applications and services that arent necessary and take up memory. I plan on using it only for Ham stuff and email.
I like the Toshibas but my current go to laptop is an HP that I got from the XYL when she upgraded. The HP hosts all my memory hungry programs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I plan on eliminating all the "extra" software on it. It seems all the bad reviews of the cheap laptops have to do with them being slow due to the bloatware installed on them. I just want this for ham radio apps and maybe some ballistics software, nothing too involved like CAD or gaming etc. The nearest Office Depot is in Tucson, 80 miles away but there is a Best Buy and Office Max close by. Going to do some more research and maybe have a new laptop for Field Day!
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a cheap toshiba $300. I hate it as a computer, but for radio it works just fine. newegg usually has a cheap laptop or one that is normally 500 for 300

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a cheap toshiba $300. I hate it as a computer, but for radio it works just fine. newegg usually has a cheap laptop or one that is normally 500 for 300

Does it work OK using HRD and browsing the web at the same time? What ham software are you running on it?
Tnx

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#6]
You might also consider a used itronix GoBook. They're boat anchors, but they're still reasonably fast, and built like a tank - something to consider for outdoor use.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#7]
check tiger direct. they have referbs cheap. any small laptop or even a net book should do what your looking to do.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You might also consider a used itronix GoBook. They're boat anchors, but they're still reasonably fast, and built like a tank - something to consider for outdoor use.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3868/itronixgobookiiiil2.jpg

ecost has them from time to time, so does eBay.

I am using one now and it is bulletproof.

Mine is called the 'Combat Laptop'.

Under $200 off of eBay.

I swear by these. Mine has fallen off the galley table a couple of times and I just pick it up and go back to where I left off.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I just use a small Acer netbook. It's light and lasts a long time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I use my ASUS netbook tablet hybrid.

Not the fastest computer on the planet, but small, light, and the battery last forever. I have run HRD on mine, but have not done any rig control with it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use my ASUS netbook tablet hybrid.

Not the fastest computer on the planet, but small, light, and the battery last forever. I have run HRD on mine, but have not done any rig control with it.

+2
Acer Netbook here running HRD + DM780, and  WSPR.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm surfing arfcom at the bar on that very same model.

I got three of them in a trade deal.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
My only suggestion is, if you are going to use it for radio control, digital modes, etc., make sure you have more than one usb port.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it work OK using HRD and browsing the web at the same time? What ham software are you running on it?

Tnx

HRD it runs just fine, you dont need much to run most of the ham software out there.

I do have a dell mini, but the 10" screen is just too small to do anything on unless its just a small logging program. I didnt like HRD on it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Any Intel Atom netbook ought to fit the bill.   I have the Acer and it works great.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the responses guys. That Go Book looks rugged, but I'm pretty easy on my electronic devices. A netbook seems too small for my aging eyes so a 15 inch screen is mandatory. I'm going to go look at them in person tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#17]
buy online cheaper.

write down info, specs model numbers etc. then go online and search.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Normally I would buy online, but Field Day is approaching fast and I want to get it set up and running 100% before FD.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Normally I would buy online, but Field Day is approaching fast and I want to get it set up and running 100% before FD.

still plenty of time, if you order today you would have it monday or tuesday with standard shipping

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I just got back from BB and I'm almost $400 poorer. I got the HP here  It seems to be much better built than the other el-cheepo I was looking at. I'm in process of setting it up and have already gotten it onto my wireless network.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Thats a nice laptop! Should serve you well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#22]
CF29
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Hate to bring up a dead thread but I did some ebay searching and found one!!  ibook 3 1.8ghz, 2gigs ram, 80gig hd , wifi, gps and xp pro !!  Should make an awesome addition to any shack!

Quoted:
Quoted:

Under $200 off of eBay.

I swear by these. Mine has fallen off the galley table a couple of times and I just pick it up and go back to where I left off.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hate to bring up a dead thread but I did some ebay searching and found one!!  ibook 3 1.8ghz, 2gigs ram, 80gig hd , wifi, gps and xp pro !!  Should make an awesome addition to any shack!

Quoted:
Quoted:

Under $200 off of eBay.

I have a toughbook

P4 1.6 GHz, slow as hell but bulletproof and runs HRD just fine!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]

I have a toughbook

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=16802

we'd like a thread describing the above photos contents

edit: repaired quote brackets
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have a toughbook

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=16802

we'd like a thread describing the above photos contents

edit: repaired quote brackets

Ask and ye shall receive!

lol, look at my post count back then
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top