Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 7:47:39 PM EDT
Plug in the wall type gets tripped and goes into Error mode when I transmit. How lame
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:23:41 PM EDT
Do you think it's RF in the shack, or just radiation from the antenna? Is the antenna close to the shack?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:44:09 PM EDT
I've got alarms in the trailer and an FT-90 and when I transmit it sets them off.

They are battery operated and I've been planning to get a strainer from W-M and put it over the detector with a sq of aluminum behind it.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:41:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HarryStone:
Do you think it's RF in the shack, or just radiation from the antenna? Is the antenna close to the shack?

Shack is on 1st floor and the detector is up on the 2nd. Loop antenna is laying up on the roof. Sucks but its what I have.

20m was easy to trip 40m its a bit harder.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:44:09 PM EDT
Yeah that blows but it's not as bad as not being on the air.

That idea of putting what amounts to a faraday cage around it is probably worth a try. Ground the cage.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:45:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HarryStone:
Yeah that blows but it's not as bad as not being on the air.

That idea of putting what amounts to a faraday cage around it is probably worth a try. Ground the cage.

Unless its going through the power lines.

Part of the hobby and shit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:49:54 PM EDT
Yeah it very well could be that. You could filter the power line. Or just unplug it when you're on the radio.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:17:19 PM EDT
Is this a Kidde Nighthawk, by any chance?

I ask because their AC-powered models have gotten chock-full-o-suck recently.

Slightly OT, but my ol' PowerMac G4 can be counted on to boot up whenever I transmit on 10 meters - It's actually a more reliable method than pushing the power-on button...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:00:50 AM EDT
My ADT Security system acts as if it were getting a phone call when I am on 75m. 40m turns on the light on my wife's china cabinet.

RFI is the suck.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:30:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Skibane:
Is this a Kidde Nighthawk, by any chance?

I ask because their AC-powered models have gotten chock-full-o-suck recently.

Slightly OT, but my ol' PowerMac G4 can be counted on to boot up whenever I transmit on 10 meters - It's actually a more reliable method than pushing the power-on button...

Brand: First Alert
Top Top