Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2010 8:12:11 PM EDT
Caught this sucker right below the back porch step while letting the dog piss before bed.  He jumped right over him then emediatley did what he was taught while in the field; pointed, started backing up on point and barking.  My wife is going to be pissed, was too tired to get my bags out of the truck so I picked him up and put him in her cat's porta-carrier.  Not sure whether or not I will let her know it is in there before she leaves for work in the morning.  If it plays out right, she will walk by it in the morning and give her a welcome buzz.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Just showed the SO your post she replied if I did that to her I'd be "Nuttless" in a hurry. Good luck with this, hopefully your wife has a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
where in TX?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Burnet County near Marble Falls.  The wife is use to my antics but I will be informing her of our guest so she doesn't have a panic attack.  I'm going to take the opportunity to do some polishing up with the bird dog then let him go.  He's only a two year old and about 4' long but I have seen his mother stretched across the street several evenings lately while walking with the wife.  She is every bit of 7 feet and has a head as large as my fist.  That is my rule:  if the head is smaller than my thumb or bigger than my wrist then I let them be or use my stick if I need to move them.  I've seen some of the most beautiful western diamondbacks and blacktails around these parts that have color patterns that resemble the unique colors of granite outcroppings in the area with pinks, purples and gold tones.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
tagged for epic ar15.com divorce

good luck
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, make sure your dog puts on his shoes before he goes out to pee.

Amazing, though, to see how slow a dog can make a snake look.  Mine used to run across every now and again and I swear she was gonna get bit, but that damn dog could fly when she had to.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Never having seen a poisonous snake except in pics, I'd of pissed my pants, then gotten bit.

Link Posted: 7/13/2010 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I like your "size slot rule" that makes sense and is good conservation. I have a similar rule although it is somewhat more inclusive. If it is big enough for me to identify I kill it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 4:01:32 AM EDT
[#8]
You are not alone. I have killed 12 copperheads this year recently. I live on a creek, so expect some. But 12?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 4:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't understand people catching poisonous snakes and letting them go.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 4:38:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you dispatch the snake?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#11]
This is gonna be good!
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#12]
No divorce threats but she was really pissed off, but not about trying to scare her, she was really pissed that I put the snake in her cat carrier; thinks she won't be able to get her cats in there anymore.  I'll post a video in a bit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1,000,000.

I am all for conservation, except in the case of poisonous snakes- especially around the house.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1,000,000.

I am all for conservation, except in the case of poisonous snakes- especially around the house.  

Because if you can safely catch them and take them off property like the OP it makes pretty much zero sense to kill them.  If you can't catch them, that is a different story.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#15]
fry that sucker up and have him for dinner
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I go back and forth on that. Seems to me that he isn't afraid enough of people and as such is just hanging around waiting for someone to step on him so they can get bit.

That and fucking with poisonous snakes is generally not advisable. The vast majority of poisonous snake bites come from people screwing with them.

We used to kill them a lot on my farm. I don't see them much around here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I go back and forth on that. Seems to me that he isn't afraid enough of people and as such is just hanging around waiting for someone to step on him so they can get bit.

That and fucking with poisonous snakes is generally not advisable. The vast majority of poisonous snake bites come from people screwing with them.

The US averages about a dozen deaths from venomous snakes per year.  From 1960 to the mid 90's the average was 12 and over half of those involved the combination of venomous snakes kept as pets and alcohol.  I handled venomous snakes for almost ten years in my profession and although I am very comfortable doing so, I never loose respect for them.  I definitely wouldn't recommend handling or messing with a venomous snake unless you have experience doing so.  I get bit all the time when catching non venomous snakes because I know they are not venomous and go after them very aggressively when trying to catch them.  Nonvenomous snakes bite like crazy where as venomous snakes usually will tolerate a lot before they strike.  I have only had one close call with a venomous snake over the years and that was from a copperhead; tripped and fell while walking with it.  When I catch venomous snakes around my property I release them far away from human activity although I have dispatched several snakes when the circumstance calls for it.  Snakes have an important role in ecology just like everything else.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I am at the base of the San Gabriel Mtns in the San Gabriel Valley(5 mile east of Los Angeles), we don't have problems with snakes, but with coyotes. They will your eat pet. Domesticated dogs are no match for wild animals.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The US averages about a dozen deaths from venomous snakes per year.  From 1960 to the mid 90's the average was 12 and over half of those involved the combination of venomous snakes kept as pets and alcohol.  I handled venomous snakes for almost ten years in my profession and although I am very comfortable doing so, I never loose respect for them.  I definitely wouldn't recommend handling or messing with a venomous snake unless you have experience doing so.  I get bit all the time when catching non venomous snakes because I know they are not venomous and go after them very aggressively when trying to catch them.  Nonvenomous snakes bite like crazy where as venomous snakes usually will tolerate a lot before they strike.  I have only had one close call with a venomous snake over the years and that was from a copperhead; tripped and fell while walking with it.  When I catch venomous snakes around my property I release them far away from human activity although I have dispatched several snakes when the circumstance calls for it.  Snakes have an important role in ecology just like everything else.
They keep the rat & mice population under control.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you.  I don't understand the "the only good snake is a dead snake" mentality.

Killing venomous snakes around the house, especially with kids, when someone doesn't know how to safely capture - yea, I can understand killing them under those conditions.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow I had no idea that only 12 people a year die from poisonous snake bites. That's not what one would think.

I agree that they do serve a vital roll in the circle of life. Just not keen on poisonous ones around the house is all. Kids and pets and everything. My mom just had a puppy get killed by a rattle snake last week. A $2k dog. It was still at the breaders in Austin when it happened. Also had another friend who had his dog get bit. He did the $1200 anti=venom thing.

I guess people are by and large smarter then animals when it comes to snakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top