Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2008 9:28:28 AM EDT
Just wondering, for the small amount of sealing I want to do (maybe 25 bags total) do I need to buy a heat sealer or can I just use my wifes curling iron?
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Just use a regular clothing iron.

There is a video on youtube that shows how.  It is VERY simple.

Link Posted: 5/27/2008 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on clothing iron. Worked great for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool, cloothing iron it is.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
+1 on clothing iron. Worked great for me.

yip ditto....

heres the youtube vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk9b0dAtJ80
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Just sealed some mylars this weekend with a clothing iron (not curling).  First time, so I wanted to verify that I was getting a good seal.

I took a bag for practice and rolled it over a closet rod (1.25" dia wood) and made a pass with the iron.  Seemed good, no issues with the iron (highest setting), pretty straightforward.

To check the integrity of the seal, I partially filled the remainder of the bag with approx 1/2 gal water and ironed a seal above the water.  Then took the sealed water "pillow" outside and applied pressure with my foot.  After I put my full body weight on the bag with no leaks, I had more confidence in my technique.  Then I did a couple more sections of the same bag with faster iron speeds to see how forgiving the process was.  Surprisingly forgiving.

Use a bag to learn with and make air or water pillows to build confidence in you seals.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top