Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2015 12:55:56 PM EDT
Or is it fine to leave the battery tender on full time for a 12v deep cycle that sits unused on my shelf for 10 months of the year?

batteryminder plus model 12117

this one

Important specs

Amps1.33
Trickle Charge Amps5mA–1A determined by battery demand

Batteries I will use it on.

1- sealed rechargable out of a UPS-- 12v, 9.0 amp hour

2- everstart marine-- 12v 845 max cranking amp, 114 amp hour @ 1 amp

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
what is the amp hr capacity of the battery and how many amps is the charger delivering?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Or is it fine to leave the battery tender on full time for a 12v deep cycle that sits unused on my shelf for 10 months of the year?
View Quote

If it's a quality tender (not a trickle charger) that monitors battery voltage and cycles itself in and out of float mode, yes, it will work fine on a deep-cycle battery.

I use 'Battery Tender' model.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You can. Honestly, even the quality tenders are likely somewhat harmful for a battery over a
very long duration.

I'm a bit of a battery nut due to some of the past work I did, the issue is that most batteries like
high-current charging, which makes the electrodes inside the battery spongy. If you do a lot of trickle
charging, it's lower current and more like electroplating, e.g. it's not spongy. It can also lead to internal
shorts because high currents break things up and low currents don't. This translates to bulk mode
(high current) v. float mode (low current) charging. The best thing for batteries in general is to not
have too much of anything, so ideally you'd actually use the battery occasionally to a reasonable
depth of discharge, and then do a conventional charge (bulk + float) and then disconnect it.

I have a calendar item to exercise and charge my batteries once every 4-6 weeks or so, but as
I said, I'm a battery nerd. My cycle is to run a high-current device for a while until I see about a 25%
depth of discharge, and then do a full charge cycle and then disconnect and store the battery.

It's also important to set your charging current correctly, a little 7Ah gel cell needs a completely
different current (both bulk and trickle) than a 100+ Ah golf cart battery does.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can. Honestly, even the quality tenders are likely somewhat harmful for a battery over a
very long duration.

It's also important to set your charging current correctly, a little 7Ah gel cell needs a completely
different current (both bulk and trickle) than a 100+ Ah golf cart battery does.

and... what is the amp hr capacity of the battery and how many amps is the charger delivering?
View Quote

Will get some numbers and post them for further wisdom.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
put that trickle charger on a mechanical timer....run it for 15 minutes a day.

Problem solved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top