Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2009 5:54:55 PM EDT
Sea-Pack Emergency Desalinator

Salt Water Filtration

I came across this by accident and I did a quick post search, didn't find anything.  Thought I'd share.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The real pisser that I see is that you need a bottle of their special syrup to make a 1/2 liter of water.  In hot weather you can go through 4-6 syrup bottles per day.  That's a lot to store.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The real pisser that I see is that you need a bottle of their special syrup to make a 1/2 liter of water. In hot weather you can go through 4-6 syrup bottles per day. That's a lot to store.

This makes the product irrelevant (to me at least...)

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
What does it do, precipatate the salts via chemical reaction, or is it a flavoring?  Why would I want to drink that crap?

$75 for 2.5 liters of water???

Five hours per half liter????
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Way too slow...

Way too expensive...

Way too proprietary...
Iodine pills for me, please.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Way too slow...

Way too expensive...

Way too proprietary...

Iodine pills for me, please.

Iodine gets rid of salt?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to know what "electrolytes" it is using to replace the sodium in sea water. Is it replacing the sodium for potassium maybe?

It would have to have = or greater amount of "electrolytes" to draw the water from the salt, shitty thing is that salt is an electrolyte and too much of any of the electrolytes is not good. The body will pee out the extra electrolytes to bring itself into balance causing you to lose too much H2O.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Easier to carry on you in a pack than a PUR Survivor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top