Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2007 1:02:47 PM EDT
how are they for a pack, i am on a budget and a surplus pack looks like it might do me good.

so if you have experience with the internal frame model lets hear some opinions

i am assuming they are good cause out defense forces use them

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you could find a quality backpacking pack on eBay used for the same price and the pack is going to be a heck of a lot lighter and so save you some weight on your back.

Unless you are 20 years old and in the best shape of your life, those pounds matter.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
lol i am 20!!! and how much do you think the pack will weigh by its self? i am upgrading from my $15 ruck

any suggestions for $100 and under
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
lol i am 20!!! and how much do you think the pack will weigh by its self? i am upgrading from my $15 ruck

any suggestions for $100 and under

you can get a molle2 pack fer under 30$ on eghey..... or the cpf90's... or just a med alice with upgraded pads and straps.

or

a decent civy pack for under 100$

or

a 3 day assualt pack..... which should hold 1 days of stuff so buy some strap's and extra molle pouches fer it
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
so what pack would compare in  durability and price as one of these or any good pack for a 3 to 4 day trip 5000ci hike pack / bob
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Look simular to the old Itialian packs.  If it has an internal frame that is good.  If not. Pass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a copy of one. Cost like $30. My nephew has a surplus MOLLE2. They are basically the same other than the frame and the pouches are all attached.

I like it. I have been through the woods without any problems. Has held up so far. Plenty of room.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#9]
It's rather heavy but will hold a metric shitload of stuff.  I use mine for "storage" rather than packing.  Like others have said, it's great to throw in the truck with all the gear in it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one, you can put alot more stuff in there than you will want to be carrying... 40 miles in 3 days on the AT hiking up and down and back up and down Black Mnt taught me that much!

I use a large ruck sack now, though if i ever get any money I will get a nice hiking pack.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#11]
We were issued those packes in the mid to late 90's.  They were of such poor quality that we went back to the ALICE pack.  I recommend against them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We were issued those packes in the mid to late 90's.  They were of such poor quality that we went back to the ALICE pack.  I recommend against them.

Some of my Marine buddies had them, and their primary complaint was the lack of durability of the frame.

ETA: The MOLLE pack, not the CFP-90.  Guess that was kind of off topic.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#13]
These pack were originally made by LOWE/VECTOR in the late eighties and were issued in OD green and then in woodland camo to SF, ranger battalion, and LRSD for artic ops. I was in LRSD when I got one issued to me made by LOWE it was a well built piece of gear held more than you needed.  Unfortunately when they were being issued to the infantry they were outsourced to another company.  Its hit or miss now.  Look at the ruck closely for bad seems and any cracks on the suspension system.  For under $100 a civilian ruck of any quality with the same capacity of 5000 cui is gonna cost a lot more.  Or save your bucks and get a kifaru, arc teryx, or gregory.  Buy cheap twice or quality once.  If you see an od version of the CFP 90 its a lowe priginal and I would jump on it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks like it is not a real CFP-90.  The real CFP -90 had a black plastic yoke that could be adjusted up and down in a vertical black plastic track attached to the back of the pack.

The CFP-90 was a good concept but execution was poor and they were very prone to breakage.

That one may be a repro knock off to boot.

Look for a UM-21 if you need a giant military pack.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#16]
so what about internal verses external frame? i have been told to stear away from external
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That looks like it is not a real CFP-90.  The real CFP -90 had a black plastic yoke that could be adjusted up and down in a vertical black plastic track attached to the back of the pack.
The CFP-90 was a good concept but execution was poor and they were very prone to breakage.

That one may be a repro knock off to boot.

Look for a UM-21 if you need a giant military pack.

I have one with the OD green bottom that just had the black plastic yoke break on it and I cannot find a replacement for it at all.  It sucks because I love that heavy SOB as a winter backpack/Evac bag.

Pack weighs 8.5lbs alone, with assault pack it's 10lbs.  Can Carry a metric crapload of stuff too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a CFP-90 and have hiked with it fully loaded...That said...if you are set on a 5000 cubic inch pack that you are going to hike with, I'd go with a civilian pack that rides better.  Now I love my CFP-90 for storing all my crap in one place and for hiking shorter distances to a main camp...but not for the long hauls.  Look at the REI clearance sales and you should find yourself a good deal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#19]
im just worried about the zippers and materials there made out of i have seen some that are supposed to be top notch at our local sporting store and was not happy, like i said before my $15 ruck looks so much better made.  I wish i had the funds for a zulu
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#20]
the plastic where the strps go to on the back BROKE on mine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:57:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I have two of them. Both have cracked frames. I'm left debating on buying an aftermarket frame or just selling them at the next yard sale.

Buy something else. ALICE is a safe bet.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]
It sounds like they are hit or miss.

I have one that I got back in '94. I used it during Infantry OBC back in '96 and still use it about three times a week.

I use other packs for actual trips, but I load this thing up with crap and hike 2 - 3 miles.

All that being said...if I was to buy one, I probably would pass on it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#23]
The CFP series suck ass. The frames break with depressing regularity, fasteners can be hit or miss, the nylon abrades easily. Seams fall out, too. They were built by the lowest bidder, after all. Personally, I prefer the old ALICE system.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Do yourself a favor and buy a civilian pack- most all of them are better designed than the military packs and carry a whole lot better.  I like Gregory and Dana Design, but Mountain Hardware, Mountainsmith, The North Face, Ospery, etc all make a quality product.  Check Campmor for good deals on last years colors, etc.  You can also check fleabay or see if your local shops carry any consignments.  Check local college newspapers too.  

I actually prefer a non-mil look to my pack; the tend to be better set up for normal camping/hiking and it doesn't stick out when you use it (I always pay more attention to the guys walking around with surplus gear).  If need be, I can throw a camo poncho over it or if things get really bad, I can just paint it with some Krylon.    JMHO
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#25]
well i found on of these packs for $45 at a surplus store and its a lowe

it should be at my house by saturday

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#26]
This is the best pack for $100 bar none!

Italian CFP pack

Better Picture

Larger picture

It is an incredible pack.

Extra padding,
Carry two rifles in it
Small day pack
New condition

I have two and they are worth every penny.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I like my CFP pack. It is much more comfotable to carry than the large ALICE IMO. I had the plastic yolk break on mine too. I had the local leather shop replace it with leather and it held up great till a puppy found it. I carried it for 3 years on AD, much easier to get in and out of the back door on a Bradley than an ALICE pack and better to sit on.

For storing stuff the tanker pack cant be beat. There is no frame so it is about as comfortable to carry as a duffle bag but it has more capacity with more compartments than a duffle. Sorry cant find a picture of it ATM.

As always YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top