Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2008 7:32:03 PM EDT

I've always wondered if the whole "camo" business is a scam. Before camo the pioneers and indians were pretty good hunters. Deer hunters have to wear bright florescent orange. When I'm hunting,if I don't move, in my bright orange, the deer will look right through me without spooking.

Maybe it's a reflection of a "Army sniper" kind of delusion. Never saw a test where two hunters were sitting side-by-side, one in camo and one in bright orange, would spook a turkey. Perpetuation of a scam on the public?? Think about it...
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 1:55:25 AM EDT
tactical....vs.....

places got make money.

can you get by usieng any milsurp camo to hunt...

sure all day long

can you use jeans and green flannel shirt.....sure........

would you rather use some goretex lined fleece realtree bibs and parka with nice fancy camo danner hunting boots......

perosnally...

ive hunted wearing mix matched junk always have.

Ill wear mossy oak pants and real tree tops,,,or tricolor dcu pants and real tree tops..

i wear old school realtree from the early 90's, with brown poly pro tops with khaki 790's...

smell and movement are key to sucess...

ya stink or ya move alot you'll fail.... looking like a 300lb bush just helps
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:03:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2008 8:05:02 AM EDT by tankdriver]
Deer, Moose, Elk Squirrel and other have all done pretty well for hundreds of years with just a solid brown color.....
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 3:04:12 PM EDT
The purpose of camo isn't necessarily to make you invisible when you're sitting still, in a hunting situation at least.  The purpose is to break up your human silhouette when you get caught with your pants down (no pun intended).  Ultimately, scent, silence, and stillness attribute more to a 'total' camo than does the visual part.  Still, I wear it when I go hunting, regardless of my quarry.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:02:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/17/2008 8:05:28 PM EDT by Ridley]

Originally Posted By turboman:
I've always wondered if the whole "camo" business is a scam. Before camo the pioneers and indians were pretty good hunters. Deer hunters have to wear bright florescent orange. When I'm hunting,if I don't move, in my bright orange, the deer will look right through me without spooking.

Maybe it's a reflection of a "Army sniper" kind of delusion. Never saw a test where two hunters were sitting side-by-side, one in camo and one in bright orange, would spook a turkey. Perpetuation of a scam on the public?? Think about it...

You mentioned Turkey. They can spot orange hundreds of yards away........been picked off plenty of times in deer gun season. Makes sense because they are trichromatic like humans, so it sticks out to them just like it does to us.

Dichromates, like deer, see in various shades of green, blue, and greys. Camo is used to break up your outline, a must if you are hunting from a treestand. Hang your stand high enough, or brush yourself in on the ground, and you'll do just fine in a hawaiian t shirt, as long as it's not blue, lol.

Having said that, A LOT of camo on the market SUCKS. The best you can get is Predator Camo, ASAT, and the new realtree AP is pretty good. A ton of the camo on the market looks like a huge dark blob from a distance. Plenty of stuff to read with a google search.
Top Top