Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 10:41:39 AM EDT
They're getting big. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with them, but I've decided I'm going to collect a 5 gallon bucket this year and try to figure it out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of babies and a whole lot of blossoms.

The whole squash will keep for months.
You can cook it and freeze it.
I'm sure you can can it too.

Baking is good.
I usually peel, cut into chunks and steam it in the microwave.
I add butter, nutmeg, maple syrup and a splash of 1/2 & 1/2 then mash it up.
This freezes really well.

Butternut squash is good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Oops, I should have been more specific... I'm talking about the nuts from a Butternut Tree. It sounds like it's a messy PITA process, and I have very little idea of what I'm doing. The butternut tree is sometimes called white walnut, so I think I'm just going to follow the directions I can find for walnut harvesting/processing. I've been watching them grow and fall for a few years, figure I should at least see about using them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Ha ha! You got me.

I've harvested Black Walnuts before.
Very messy to prepare but they make an awesome pie.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Uses
The nuts are usually used in baking and making candies, having an oily texture and pleasant flavor.

Butternut wood is light in weight and takes polish well, is highly rot resistant, but is much softer than Black Walnut wood. Oiled, the grain of the wood usually shows much light. It is often used to make furniture, and is a favorite of woodcarvers.

Butternut bark and nut rinds were once often used to dye cloth to colors between light yellow and dark brown. To produce the darker colors, the bark is boiled to concentrate the color. This appears to never have been used as a commercial dye, but rather was used to color homespun cloth.

During the American Civil War, the term "butternut" was sometimes applied to Confederate soldiers. Some Confederate uniforms faded from gray to a tan or light brown color. It is also possible that butternut was used to color the cloth worn by a very small number of Confederate Soldiers. The resemblance of the tan colored uniforms to butternut-dyed clothing, and the association of butternut dye with home-made clothing, resulted in this derisive nickname.

Butternut bark has mild cathartic properties and was once used medicinally in place of jalap, a more expensive cathartic which was imported from Mexico. During the American Revolution, a butternut extract made from the inner bark of the tree was used to prevent smallpox, and to treat dysentery and other stomach and intestinal discomfort.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top