Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2012 7:32:58 AM EDT
We use probably between 3000 to 4000 gallons each winter and have it delivered 500 gallons at a time.

We had our tank filled Tuesday, ran right at $4.36/gallon for k-1 dyed delivered. Sometimes the first load is a little higher priced, but we'll see.

Diesel is running between $3.69 and $3.99 depending on where you buy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you use the dyed kero for?

The reason I ask is I bought a new heater off a guy on craigslist that sold it cheap because it stank. He threw in a 5 gallon can full of kero and when I got it home I saw it was dyed red. I emptied the tank on the heater and burned two tanks of K1 through it and now it doesn't smell. Good deal for $20.

I still have 5 gallons of red dyed kero that I plan on using for lighting camp fires and burning brush piles.

I've never seen the dyed kero for sale here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Texas has classified kero in the same group as diesel, so if you don't want to pay the highway tax on it in bulk form, you have to buy the red. Last year I had to apply with the state comptroller's office stating that I wasn't reselling it or using it on the highway. Got a taxpayer ID and everything. We use it to run portable forced air heaters, it always smells a little bit, but if it's running right, it's not bad. If they don't run at the right compression, then it's horrible. I don't want to think about running diesel through them and trying to breathe.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Texas has classified kero in the same group as diesel, so if you don't want to pay the highway tax on it in bulk form, you have to buy the red. Last year I had to apply with the state comptroller's office stating that I wasn't reselling it or using it on the highway. Got a taxpayer ID and everything. We use it to run portable forced air heaters, it always smells a little bit, but if it's running right, it's not bad. If they don't run at the right compression, then it's horrible. I don't want to think about running diesel through them and trying to breathe.

We can get both dyed and undyed here. Just depends on the distributor. Is your distributor just selling dyed because its convenient?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can get both dyed and undyed here. Just depends on the distributor. Is your distributor just selling dyed because its convenient?

I dunno. I didn't have a problem till last year when we had to do the paperwork with the comptroller. I know my uncle had similar issues with farm diesel years ago. I'm sure someone somewhere started running kero in a diesel vehicle and someone at the state got their panties in a wad over it and instead of fining the shit out of someone,just decided to make life harder for the rest of us.

But at $4.36 without the road tax, it would be freaking ridiculous to run kero in a road vehicle instead of diesel.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
bulk kero is difficult to find where I live... just got 5gal of red dyed #1 @ $5 gal.... if you get it in a 1gal can it's $9 gal...or more...if you live in St Pete or Clearwater, ask...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
bulk kero is difficult to find where I live... just got 5gal of red dyed #1 @ $5 gal.... if you get it in a 1gal can it's $9 gal...or more...if you live in St Pete or Clearwater, ask...

$6.09 at the only pump I know of in Lakeland.  It'd be rough if I used a lot.  On the plus side in Lakeland a store that just oped close has non ethanol gas.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Undyed kero here this week, bought over 60 gallons, price was a little over $4/gal.

Should have asked if they had dyed [price without road tax]

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]

But at $4.36 without the road tax, it would be freaking ridiculous to run kero in a road vehicle instead of diesel.

I found a 70kBTU forced air heater which runs great on diesel.
I moved to TX, and with the dyed kero here I couldn't get a wick to last
on a Corona 23kBTU style wick heater.

The radiant forced air heats the shop up quicker for sure
(it is a 3x bigger heater)

Northern sells them.

The package and the instructions says it runs on Kero, Diesel, jetA, #1 and #2 fuel oil.
Northern INSISTS you only run Kero in it if you ask,
But it worked fine all last season...

The old Kero drum I used to go get refilled is my new burn barrel.

Link:

https://m.northerntool.com/northerntool/product/detail.do?itemId=173652
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top