Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 10:46:14 PM EDT
So some of you probably saw the aquaponics thread...I haven't ignored the replies, I'm working on it on my down time at work.

However, another project I said I would do for them is create an off-grid garden hose to water the crops.  Personally, I think some sort of irrigation system would be a better idea but this guy that runs the farm wants a garden hose.  Anyway, he wants it to be mobile so it can be easily moved/wheeled around to water whatever.  

Now I actually already did something similar a few years back only I hooked it up to a car battery and a then ran the pump to a propane camp shower to make hot AND cold water.  It was pretty nice.  

This time I just need pressurized water that I can run from a big tank (the black plastic ones you see here all the time).  Here's my plan...

For the transport vehicle I'm thinking one of those wagons with the large studded wheels will be easy to haul around and will have plenty of real estate for the batteries, pump, panel(s), etc.

Then I'm going to nail the pump and inverter to a piece of plywood.  On the other side of the plywood will be the panels.  Wire the panels to the charge controller and then to the batteries.  Wire the pump to the inverter and then to the batteries.  Batteries will be in those plastic battery boxes like we use on the boat to protect them from water but lets them breathe a bit.  Then just screw the hose to the pump and connect the water tank to the pump.

Now that I think of it I'm wondering if a 20gal (give or take) tank should be used?  That way anyone can wheel it around...well so long as they can wheel around 200lbs or so.  But maybe a direct connect hose would work as previously requested.  

Thoughts?  Also, what solar panels am I going to need?  Wattage, type, etc.?  Now money isn't endless but from what the head of the project says when he asks for something he gets it from the board.

EDIT:  I should also say that the space that this will need to be wheeled around is a radius of around 300 feet.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a DC pump and eliminate the inverter?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a DC pump and eliminate the inverter?
View Quote

Oh good idea!!

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup. An RV pump would work great for that project.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:28:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So some of you probably saw the aquaponics thread...I haven't ignored the replies, I'm working on it on my down time at work.

However, another project I said I would do for them is create an off-grid garden hose to water the crops.  Personally, I think some sort of irrigation system would be a better idea but this guy that runs the farm wants a garden hose.  Anyway, he wants it to be mobile so it can be easily moved/wheeled around to water whatever.  

Now I actually already did something similar a few years back only I hooked it up to a car battery and a then ran the pump to a propane camp shower to make hot AND cold water.  It was pretty nice.  

This time I just need pressurized water that I can run from a big tank (the black plastic ones you see here all the time).  Here's my plan...

For the transport vehicle I'm thinking one of those wagons with the large studded wheels will be easy to haul around and will have plenty of real estate for the batteries, pump, panel(s), etc.

Then I'm going to nail the pump and inverter to a piece of plywood.  On the other side of the plywood will be the panels.  Wire the panels to the charge controller and then to the batteries.  Wire the pump to the inverter and then to the batteries.  Batteries will be in those plastic battery boxes like we use on the boat to protect them from water but lets them breathe a bit.  Then just screw the hose to the pump and connect the water tank to the pump.

Now that I think of it I'm wondering if a 20gal (give or take) tank should be used?  That way anyone can wheel it around...well so long as they can wheel around 200lbs or so.  But maybe a direct connect hose would work as previously requested.  

Thoughts?  Also, what solar panels am I going to need?  Wattage, type, etc.?  Now money isn't endless but from what the head of the project says when he asks for something he gets it from the board.

EDIT:  I should also say that the space that this will need to be wheeled around is a radius of around 300 feet.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
View Quote

Why not go to Harbor Freight or a farm store or hardware place, and pick up a 30 or 40 gallon poly sprayer tank with a 12vdc pump mounted on it with sprayer and hose incl ready to set on your ATV or wagon.

Last ones I saw were abt $80, on sale after the season, a couple yrs ago...

Then go to a box store or W-M and pick up a deep dishcharge battery, Group 31 or so.

Then you're done except for the solar aspect.

Go to Solar Panel price survey with dealers

...and pick out one or two ~230 watt panels of either ~18 vdc no load output, if you are going to use a cheapy controller, or ~29 vdc out if you are going to use a more sophisticated step-down controller.

EBay will have all the controllers at a good price that you can find in one spot.

Job done.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Won't that water run out of that tank all by itself? Is this a gov funded project? Sounds like you are trying to solve a non-exsisting problem.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Won't that water run out of that tank all by itself? Is this a gov funded project? Sounds like you are trying to solve a non-exsisting problem.

Tom
View Quote

The tank will run out of water but can be wheeled back over and refilled....again, that was just an idea.

No, not gov't funded...college board funded.

It is not a non-existant problem.  The farm/garden is run entirely off grid from a central shed that is rigged with some large solar panels and all the boxes/wiring needed.  The current project would allow the watering to be easier and more portable.  

I found this on youtube...seems pretty cool but he doesn't show the guts of it...

Solar Powered Water Pump

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why not go to Harbor Freight or a farm store or hardware place, and pick up a 30 or 40 gallon poly sprayer tank with a 12vdc pump mounted on it with sprayer and hose incl ready to set on your ATV or wagon.

Then go to a box store or W-M and pick up a deep dishcharge battery, Group 31 or so.

...and pick out one or two ~230 watt panels of either ~18 vdc no load output, if you are going to use a cheapy controller, or ~29 vdc out if you are going to use a more sophisticated step-down controller.

EBay will have all the controllers at a good price that you can find in one spot.

Job done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Job done.

Hey EXPY, am I reading that right...around 250-500 watts just to run one of those little pumps??  Check out the video I posted, that guy doesn't seem to have more than maybe 20-30watts worth of solar power there.  A few golf cart batteries in that box (I'm guessing).

I'll look into the storage tank you mention.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends, how long you want to spend charging your batteries???

Do a calculation on how much storage in watt-hours in your battery choice to pump, how many watt-hours used by the pump between charges, how many watt-hours you have available from your solar panels during the time the batteries are available to be charged.

Divide the results by half to account for about an overall efficiency of 50%.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depends, how long you want to spend charging your batteries???

Do a calculation on how much storage in watt-hours in your battery choice to pump, how many watt-hours used by the pump between charges, how many watt-hours you have available from your solar panels during the time the batteries are available to be charged.

Divide the results by half to account for about an overall efficiency of 50%.

View Quote

Oh ok, I see what you're saying.  I didn't consider that.  

I'm guessing we'll need the hose to run for 30-60min. unless we hook it up to a sprinkler or some other sort of irrigation system that would be a little quicker.

I'll have to figure out what the demand will be.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top