Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2013 12:33:01 PM EDT
Assuming you cannot BUG OUT what order do you start going thru your food supplies?

Refrigerated
Dry canned
Dry uncanned
food that requires cooking
frozen foods
mre's
etc..

what order would you follow?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming a loss of power?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Start with the fridge.
I have 3 chest freezers that are full of meat, so it will take a WHILE to eat all of it. Will start drying/canning the freezer meat ASAP.

After that, start on the pantry and access the situation. Is this a week long event? Month? Indefinite?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Assuming a loss of power?
View Quote

yes! no power, no water other than what you have stored
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Start with the fridge. I have 3 chest freezers that are full of meat, so it will take a WHILE to eat all of it. Will start drying/canning the freezer meat ASAP.

After that, start on the pantry and access the situation. Is this a week long event? Month? Indefinite?
View Quote

major event with no idea when the authorities will have power, water, sewage back in order
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with Rat_Patrol. Start with the Refrig it is going to go warm before the freezers. The freezers would be next. Canning, drying (smoking) would be the order of the day.  Just food for thought. Breaking of the Ball Canning book and reading how to can is the wrong time to be learning the skill of canning. Like wise without power I hope that you have an alternative heat source for your canning/drying.
From there I would start stretching my supplies by incorporating my dried goods (beans and rice) into meals.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Fridge then freezer then canned then long term stuff.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Fridge
Combination of frozen/ store bought canned
LTS foods
MRE's

I would also be adding hunted meats and fish after Fridge food is gone.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
fridge,,frozen,,canned(self,,mre,,etc),lts......
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I agree with Rat_Patrol. Start with the Refrig it is going to go warm before the freezers. The freezers would be next. Canning, drying (smoking) would be the order of the day.  Just food for thought. Breaking of the Ball Canning book and reading how to can is the wrong time to be learning the skill of canning. Like wise without power I hope that you have an alternative heat source for your canning/drying.

From there I would start stretching my supplies by incorporating my dried goods (beans and rice) into meals.
View Quote
very good points on the skill of canning and energy. we are set there, but everyone should judge their own situation.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Fridge first
Next is  the Freezer
Next is Pantry shelves, supplemented with bulk dry goods
Simultaneous MRE and canned rotation stores, supplemented with bulk dry goods
Freeze Dried , supplemented with bulk dry goods
After that, I'm down to just bulk dry goods (if any left).
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#11]
While you're cleaning out the freezers and pantry shelves, don't forget to take advantage of whatever fruits and vegetables may be in season, in the garden or wild.  Those asparagus spears don't stay eatin'-size for long, and the possums have been eyeballing those blackberries for as long as you have.  Depending on how long the power outage lasts and what season of the year it is, time needs to be budgeted in for harvesting and preparing/preserving local products.  Many of them are one-shot, limited-time offers (per season, anyway).
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fridge first
Next is  the Freezer
Next is Pantry shelves, supplemented with bulk dry goods
Simultaneous MRE and canned rotation stores, supplemented with bulk dry goods
Freeze Dried , supplemented with bulk dry goods
After that, I'm down to just bulk dry goods (if any left).
View Quote

this, plus one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top