Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2009 3:07:03 PM EDT
Hello
Some of the leaves on my Brioccli is turning brown a few have holes in them but overall there still growing well and starting to produce heads,  Any body seen this on theres.  I didnt get a chance to get any of it buy southern states today to get an idea if its bacterial or fungus or ??? so i can spay them.  What do you think the issue is with these.  I did spry seven dust about 2 weeks ago due to the green catipillars worms but there gone as far as i can tell.  You can see the collards in the overall pic are doing great its just affecting the Brocolli.  Thanks

Over all view,  Collards to the right   all the broccli have this and there scattered around the area.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]

I am by no means an expert, but, I have grown about 60 broccoli plants this last season.

Here are my observations:

Cabbage moths are the biggest problem (for me). Those are the white moths that you see
flying about your garden. They land on broccoli and cabbage plants to lay eggs. Those eggs
then hatch into worms that do the real damage. The worms eat holes in the leaves.

Next year when I start new plants I'll use row covers to keep the cabbage moths out of the plants.

As for the brown leaves, well, I trim them off to clean up the area. Not sure what causes the leaves
to turn brown.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
If you've got holes, its probably either moths or caterpillars on the bottom side of the leaves.  They wreaked havoc on my until we had a couple of cold fronts come through.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
had moths about 2- 3 weeks ago sprayed and wiped them out, dont see any catipillars now but.  I have seen only 1 or 2 moths in the area in the last few weeks,  when they were fisrt planted they attacked and thats why i sprayed,  It has been very rainy and moist thinking it may have something to do with taht, as a freind this weekend saw them and said his were doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#4]
After seeing your thread yesterday, I went and looked at mine (haven't been out there in a couple weeks) and mine are REALLY ate up with holes!
Some, maybe 20% of the leaf surface is gone!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
had moths about 2- 3 weeks ago sprayed and wiped them out, dont see any catipillars now but.  I have seen only 1 or 2 moths in the area in the last few weeks,  when they were fisrt planted they attacked and thats why i sprayed,  It has been very rainy and moist thinking it may have something to do with taht, as a freind this weekend saw them and said his were doing the same thing.

What did you spray with?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Seven Dust liquid type
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top